How getting what you want is the only reason to live life

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

MozartLink

How getting what you want is the only reason to live life

Post by MozartLink »

You can find no reason to live life without getting what you want and I am going to explain. Let's pretend that you said you went to work even though you didn't want to, then you would actually be wanting something here. It is this want that made you go to work. That want could be the desire to feed your family or perhaps to get money so you could buy something. But if you didn't want anything at all, then you would have no reason to go to work. You would just be going for no reason at all.

So as you can clearly see here, our wanting is what gives us reason to live. If you struggled with anhedonia, depression, or complete apathy where you have no desire (want) to live for any given reason at all, then you truly have no reason to live at all. Therefore, it is only happy and healthy non-depressed, non-apathetic, and non-anhedonic vibrant people who have the desire to live life who have the reason to live. Our wanting is what makes life worth living. Without that, then you are just living for no reason and your life cannot be worth living.

Even if you claimed to have lived life without any wanting whatsoever and that this was a life worth living to you, then this is false. Perhaps you claimed you lived life just to live life. So that would be your want (desire) right there. You had the desire to live life as it is even though you claimed you had no desire. Wanting is what gives us reason to live and do things. Otherwise, if you did something you did not want to do, then you would be doing it for no reason.
Last edited by MozartLink on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Re: How getting what you want is the only reason to live life

Post by Harbal »

Presumably, you wrote this post because you wanted to, which nicely illustrates that a thing does not have to be meaningful in order for one to want it. It is strange, though, how we sometimes do things we don't want to. For example, after I'd read your first paragraph I knew I didn't want to carry on reading the rest but I still did.
MozartLink

Post by MozartLink »

Harbal wrote:Presumably, you wrote this post because you wanted to, which nicely illustrates that a thing does not have to be meaningful in order for one to want it. It is strange, though, how we sometimes do things we don't want to. For example, after I'd read your first paragraph I knew I didn't want to carry on reading the rest but I still did.
Then you actually wanted to read it regardless of what you say otherwise. Perhaps you wanted to read it just because you were curious. Otherwise, you would have read my post for no reason. Wanting is what gives us reason to live and do things.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Life is full of wants, needs and desires. Pick the ones important to you, and grab them by the throat.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dalek Prime wrote:Life is full of wants, needs and desires. Pick the ones important to you, and grab them by the throat.
Sometimes you come to the point when you just can't think of anything you want.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Harbal wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Life is full of wants, needs and desires. Pick the ones important to you, and grab them by the throat.
Sometimes you come to the point when you just can't think of anything you want.
If nothing else, you can grab a Coke. :lol:
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

isn't it getting what you want? :O
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

TSBU wrote:isn't it getting what you want? :O
I want a Coke. Don't you? :wink:
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Dalek Prime wrote:
TSBU wrote:isn't it getting what you want? :O
I want a Coke. Don't you? :wink:
No. I only drink coke with rum, and I (nearly) only drink alcohol with more people.

Let me guess...
I want... that, and that, and... yeah, probably that too, oh, and of course that. If I had that things I would be completely satisfied no matter what, for a long while. Oh, I nearly forgot that. Hmm, none of that things depends on me. And... if one or two of that things become true, it would be lucky.

But... what can I do? I certeanly can do "similar things" to the first ones, that aren't perfect but... it keeps me rolling. And I can do things that are fun or... exciting, I can chalenge myself... one of this days XD... hell, I'm so fucking comfortable in my bed, and looking at bees is... well, it's something :).

Well, fuck, if I can say every desire, I would like that too. But I must forget that desire, that's absolutely impossible, things are what they are, and you can't transform plumbum into aurum (I don't know how to say it in English, Oh, the second one is gold). If only I could forget the time when I didn't know that...

Oh, and I want to go to the bathroom now that I have done my "talking thing" here.
osgart

Post by osgart »

when what you need is what you want then you are filled with joy. Want without it being a need just makes you lazy and miserable.
And people that always serve you are only doing you harm.
Real love is liberating and makes you strong. Where as lust makes one weak.
A strong woman who doesnt cater makes you stronger as a man if she really loves you. She will think about you in more substantial ways.
She makes you earn things. And helps you when your down. Appreciation lasts a lifetime knowing its no ordinary relation.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

osgart wrote:when what you need is what you want then you are filled with joy. Want without it being a need just makes you lazy and miserable.
And people that always serve you are only doing you harm.
Real love is liberating and makes you strong. Where as lust makes one weak.
A strong woman who doesnt cater makes you stronger as a man if she really loves you. She will think about you in more substantial ways.
She makes you earn things. And helps you when your down. Appreciation lasts a lifetime knowing its no ordinary relation.
No. For example, if you are hungry, and you want to eat, then you can say that "what you want is what you need", and you'll be sad till you die with no food.
Want without needing only makes you honest, because we don't need anything. We don't need to live or be happy. And peoople starting to talk about needs, is nearly always people starting to talk about desires they want others to fulfill for free. But food must be maked. Anyway, there are no humans just happy with food and water. Can you define your needs? I'm curious.
"Real love" is for the common meaning a lie. There are no perfect people, and there are no relations between humans without interest. (Oh, but some people seem to think otherwise after people taking care of them...)
Also, love, of any kind, is not a "need".
You say a sentene "people that serve you are only doing you harm", and then you start a paragraph about a woman whose best quality for you (and it seems like the only one you want) is, in translation mode, that she takes care of you. She loves you. It doesn't mind if you don't feel lust, or admiration, or anything, a woman loving you makes you a "stronger man" (Who knows what the fuck is that, I didn't feet anything more than tired in the gym...). In my experience, no, it's all the oposite, people loving you if you don't love them, is a piece of shit, specially for the loving one, of course. And lust is... lust, it is entertainment, it dooesn't make people weak... and... it's needed to have sex.
Also, you are the only one talking about sex here (I... think XD).
Anyway, cheeses christ, thanks! for saying sex and women when you are thinking sex and women, it's so fucking anoying that many people talk about that without saying what they really think...
Greta

Post by Greta »

MozartLink wrote:... our wanting is what gives us reason to live. If you struggled with anhedonia, depression, or complete apathy where you have no desire (want) to live for any given reason at all, then you truly have no reason to live at all. Therefore, it is only happy and healthy non-depressed, non-apathetic, and non-anhedonic vibrant people who have the desire to live life who have the reason to live. Our wanting is what makes life worth living. Without that, then you are just living for no reason and your life cannot be worth living.
Wanting what is not can bring misery. Accepting what is can bring happiness. Or vice versa. The situation is not straightforwards.

Meanwhile, Buddhists would tell you that desire is what keeps us chained to the cycle of rebirth and escape from this world's torments only comes with desirelessness. I suppose that, when one's options are to either compete in India's harsh societies or meditating in a remote cave, lack of desire is a more realistic goal than when living in more comfortable conditions.
Walker

Post by Walker »

“Desirous attachment is not the same as desire. There are many non-deluded desires that it is suitable to cultivate, such as the desire to attain liberation and enlightenment, the desire to help others, or even the desire to abandon desirous attachment.”
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Understanding the Mind
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

TSBU wrote:(Who knows what the fuck is that, I didn't feet anything more than tired in the gym...)
Well I certainly don't know what the fuck it is.
osgart

Post by osgart »

well you get what you give. Their are higher motivations that some people are capable of. Want is the lowest one. Care for another the highest and many aint capable of that. But many are. Everyone creates themselves from scratch they just choose the wrong recipe.
I guess for young people a selfish want interest is all they after.
But care takes time and giving from the heart.
Everyone is individually different. And i am glad i am not young anymore. The cruelness of judgments. Relationships amount to a transaction ; stuff for stuff. The goods. The services rendered. Your shelf life as an attractive person. Id rather be single.