Thoughts and questions on life and death.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

PatientlyDemanding

Thoughts and questions on life and death.

Post by PatientlyDemanding »

I notice a pattern in my thinking that seems to be deterministic and atheistic, and I believe it also causes some amount of indifference to life that I am not entirely sure is justified. After reading my thoughts, I would welcome any comments to help improve on them, and would like to hear about other's thoughts in context of my own.

My reasons for indifference of life is due to the strangeness of life. We do not choose to have logic, to love and be happy, or to have our instincts, dispositions, talents, etc. but we have what feels like the choice to follow them. We ask for the meaning of everything that we are, but this question originates from what we are. We use the characteristics that we never opted for to discern truth.

This prompts me to follow lines of thought such as suicide is acceptable if everyone is living to a certain, acceptable standard. Dying prematurely to this could prevent wealth production that would enable a minimum quality of life. The matter of the emotional damage caused to others is not of priority: people who are affected by your death should realise that you will eventually see them again, and suicide should be compared to a period of time that you do not see your loved ones -- a holiday would be similar to this. If you do not see your loved ones again, then I conclude that something akin to a soul is non-existent, and all you have forfeited is experience (time). This time, to me, has no meaning.

This paragraph isn't necessary to read, but is an elaboration. One could argue that even if our eternal soul does not exist, it would not indicate a lack of meaning. I however would say that our existence, in a non-eternal state, could be but a means to an end for the purpose of another entity, or thing, that is not us. An example of this could be that everything we know to exist is just a manifestation of another entity that for some reason requires our existence -- as a blood-pumping heart is required for us -- but if we are an entity that is required for the existence of something else to survive, then perhaps you could compare the suicidal, defective, disabled among us to be similar to cancer cells. In this case we would want to cure these cells, however, the idea that our individualism means nothing is worrying for most I'd imagine.

Thanks,

J.
Harbal

Re: Thoughts and questions on life and death.

Post by Harbal »

PatientlyDemanding wrote:
This paragraph isn't necessary to read,
This implies that the previous three were.