Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: What is intuition?

Post by Walker »

bahman wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
bahman wrote:
What is intuition?
You need to add "knowledge" and "experience" into the equation.

Wisdom should be split up into following thinking factors:
- holistic
- critical
- abstract
Thank you but I asked about intuition not wisdom. By the way, I understand that holistic is the main attribute of wisdom. To me however the critical and abstract thinking are related to logic.
With full cognizance that there have been no direct inquiries about the wheel, there really is no need to reinvent the wheel. Full plans can likely be found online.

The principle of “what” in the thread question can arbitrarily reference anything, not just intuition.
The wheel can be the what.

Once the wheel principle is discovered, then the when and why, how and where, and implications of the discovery can be examined with contemplation and experimentation.

Even “who” invented the wheel can be a speculative object of attention.

These examinations can lead to discovering new combinations of compounded things (conditions), i.e., contemplation can lead to invention.

”Simple Definition of intuition
: a natural ability or power that makes it possible to know something without any proof or evidence : a feeling that guides a person to act a certain way without fully understanding why
: something that is known or understood without proof or evidence”

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intuition

:?:

How does intuition happen. When is there intuition and how do you know it’s there. Who has intuition. Why is there intuition. Is intuition associated with a place. Can a specific principle such as the wheel be other than a formless physicality, for surely the principle does exist, and surely it was not invented by man.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

bahman wrote:There are four properties for mind: (1) Instinct, (2) Intuition, (3) Logic and (4) Wisdom.

These are my definition of the properties and I am open to discuss them.

1) Instinct: The main driving force in any being.
3) Logic: The capacity to deduce things in term of other things.
4) Wisdom: The ability to guess what could be right or wrong to do which is based on all our experiences in our lives.

I am missing a definition for intuition and I hope we can discuss and reach to an agreement on that.
Definitions are ad hoc for the benefit of those who can benefit from them. There are some usages of 'intuition' which are popular and ephemeral. I dislike those imprecise usages because intuition as defined for and by neuroscientists and psychologists is useful for tending towards increase in human cognitive and affective abilities.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Walker wrote:
bahman wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
You need to add "knowledge" and "experience" into the equation.

Wisdom should be split up into following thinking factors:
- holistic
- critical
- abstract
Thank you but I asked about intuition not wisdom. By the way, I understand that holistic is the main attribute of wisdom. To me however the critical and abstract thinking are related to logic.
With full cognizance that there have been no direct inquiries about the wheel, there really is no need to reinvent the wheel. Full plans can likely be found online.

The principle of “what” in the thread question can arbitrarily reference anything, not just intuition.
The wheel can be the what.

Once the wheel principle is discovered, then the when and why, how and where, and implications of the discovery can be examined with contemplation and experimentation.

Even “who” invented the wheel can be a speculative object of attention.

These examinations can lead to discovering new combinations of compounded things (conditions), i.e., contemplation can lead to invention.

”Simple Definition of intuition
: a natural ability or power that makes it possible to know something without any proof or evidence : a feeling that guides a person to act a certain way without fully understanding why
: something that is known or understood without proof or evidence”

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intuition

:?:

How does intuition happen. When is there intuition and how do you know it’s there. Who has intuition. Why is there intuition. Is intuition associated with a place. Can a specific principle such as the wheel be other than a formless physicality, for surely the principle does exist, and surely it was not invented by man.
So what is the difference between intuition and wisdom given the definition of intuition?
bahman

Post by bahman »

HexHammer wrote:
bahman wrote: Well my friend, you didn't yet answer what intuition is or what is the definition of it?
Oh yes you always need others to do the basic thinking for you, why don't you google it? ..instead of always relying on others being your external brain? Is it because you need attention?
I googled it but I didn't find any satisfying answer.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

bahman wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
bahman wrote: Well my friend, you didn't yet answer what intuition is or what is the definition of it?
Oh yes you always need others to do the basic thinking for you, why don't you google it? ..instead of always relying on others being your external brain? Is it because you need attention?
You mean you didn't find an answer that matched your own preconceived notion. You can't accept the common definition because you don't like it.

So what definition do you like?
Walker

Post by Walker »

bahman wrote:So what is the difference between intuition and wisdom given the definition of intuition?
Good question. What do you think?

Image Image
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

thedoc wrote:
bahman wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
You mean you didn't find an answer that matched your own preconceived notion. You can't accept the common definition because you don't like it.

It's a miracle!! ..we agree on something!!!
bahman

Post by bahman »

Walker wrote:
bahman wrote:S
o what is the difference between intuition and wisdom given the definition of intuition?
Good question. What do you think?

Image Image
I used to think that intuition is the power to separate abstract content from what we experience but I am not sure about it.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

HexHammer wrote:
thedoc wrote:
bahman wrote:

You'd better sit down and have a drink, and remember 'this too will pass'.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Greta wrote:I think of intuition as the largely unconscious piecing together of subtle informational cues to second guess the unfolding story.
How would it get from the subconscious to the conscious?
I don't know. How does any thought move from the unconscious to the conscious?
Walker

Post by Walker »

thedoc wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
thedoc wrote:

You'd better sit down and have a drink, and remember 'this too will pass'.
Beginning the inquiry with definitions rather than notions allows for the abstract of philosophy, but because proof and evidence are not required for intuition then it’s more about notions rather than definitions.

This is why some folks use the word “notion” so often. It implies that proof and evidence are not required for an idea, as many people do not base ideas on rationality but on intuition. Notice that folks who use the word notion quite often don’t use it to reference their own ideas.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Greta wrote:
Greta wrote:I think of intuition as the largely unconscious piecing together of subtle informational cues to second guess the unfolding story.
The question is important as I believe that intuition is based on the conscious, not the subconscious. Maybe somebody can help enlighten us.

PhilX
bahman

Post by bahman »

Greta wrote:
The question is important as I believe that intuition is based on the conscious, not the subconscious. Maybe somebody can help enlighten us.

PhilX
I think the solution is like this. You have many processes in your brain which they are all unconscious. These processes however create different physical states. Consciousness is a specific physical state. In another word, we experience something when a physical state forms a specific form such that it could lead to experience. There is no movement involved.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

bahman wrote: I think the solution is like this. You have many processes in your brain which they are all unconscious. These processes however create different physical states. Consciousness is a specific physical state. In another word, we experience something when a physical state forms a specific form such that it could lead to experience. There is no movement involved.
Hapless nonsense and babble!!
bahman

Post by bahman »

HexHammer wrote:
bahman wrote: I think the solution is like this. You have many processes in your brain which they are all unconscious. These processes however create different physical states. Consciousness is a specific physical state. In another word, we experience something when a physical state forms a specific form such that it could lead to experience. There is no movement involved.
Hapless nonsense and babble!!
Why you are always so negative? I think you need to read a little about physics (most importantly) and psychology to understand what do I mean.