What do people want from philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

A_Seagull

What do people want from philosophy?

Post by A_Seagull »

What do you want from philosophy? What do you think other people want from philosophy?

For if people want different things from philosophy they will disagree on what constitutes good philosophy and what is bad philosophy.

Also how can good philosophy be discerned from bad?

For myself, I like simplicity. But I suspect that others seek certainty.
Scott Mayers

Re: What do people want from philosophy?

Post by Scott Mayers »

A_Seagull wrote:What do you want from philosophy? What do you think other people want from philosophy?

For if people want different things from philosophy they will disagree on what constitutes good philosophy and what is bad philosophy.

People DEFAULT to simplicity. It is when or where we run into barriers that we require asking questions only. If you can easily get from A to B with relative ease, why would you question it? If you're hungry and have access to any food that relieves the motivation to eat, do you then even bother thinking about food or hunger still?

So I'm a bit confused at why you are here unless there actually IS something not so simple underneath your 'hood' that motivates you to be here at all. :?:
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Most here wants a cozy chat and the illusion of truth. What they end up doing is chasing rainbows!
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Scott Mayers wrote:
A_Seagull wrote:What do you want from philosophy? What do you think other people want from philosophy?

People DEFAULT to simplicity. It is when or where we run into barriers that we require asking questions only. If you can easily get from A to B with relative ease, why would you question it? If you're hungry and have access to any food that relieves the motivation to eat, do you then even bother thinking about food or hunger still?

So I'm a bit confused at why you are here unless there actually IS something not so simple underneath your 'hood' that motivates you to be here at all. :?:
Perhaps you could try answering the questions. You might learn something! :)
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

A_Seagull wrote:What do you want from philosophy?
Basically (1) An descriptive examination/analysis of the facts of the world from a different methodological approach than the sciences, and (2) Entertainment.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Philosophy is a science that should give us a clear description of what a default human is, therefore giving us the information we need to stay sane, do everything correctly as a human and be aware of everything that constitutes our everyday life.

Something like this, I don't know what else "science of thought" could give to us. Possibly, everything, of course, just like thinking beings can think of anything, Yet, there needs to be a solid foundation for a practice of thought. And the most reasonable foundation for practice of thought is a coherent writing of what the basis of thought is. The basis of thought is who one is, what is what, outlines for how to do things.

Science of thought is quite like what we know as school. Because school requires us to think. The one science (philosophy) does the same thing.
Last edited by Gabriel on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Terrapin Station

Gabriel wrote:Philosophy is a science that should give us a clear description of what a default human is, therefore giving us the information we need to stay sane, do everything correctly as a human.
Yikes.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Terrapin Station wrote:
Basically (1) An descriptive examination/analysis of the facts of the world from a different methodological approach than the sciences, and (2) Entertainment.
Why different from science?

What methodological approach do you prefer?
Terrapin Station

A_Seagull wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
Why different from science?
Well, because that's what philosophy IS. It has a different methodological approach from science. That's what makes philosophy of biology, say, different from biology.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

To use logic to stretch beyond the "knowns".
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Gabriel wrote:Philosophy is a science
Philosophy is not science. Try again.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

thedoc wrote:
Well then what IS philosophy? And by what criteria do you determine that it is not science?
Greta

Post by Greta »

That's easy. To be more wise. To be wised up enough not to fall into quite so many of life's pot holes. To understand what the feck is going on a little more. Also curiosity. Existence is interesting and mind-boggling.

I don't much care what others want from philosophy and tend not to think about it. I am interested in others' stories, insights, ideas, eloquence and (hopefully) grace.

Good philosophy? Not being off with the pixies is a good start. Not being excessively anthropocentric (a very common issue in philosophy IMO). Being centred on the real. Learning the lessons of history. A developed sense of humour helps one to remain grounded but clear logicality can achieve the same.
Terrapin Station

A_Seagull wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Well then what IS philosophy? And by what criteria do you determine that it is not science?
The simplest way to understand the methodological difference is that science is focused on experimentation. Even purely theoretical stuff in the sciences is still oriented towards the means that would--at least hypothetically--experimentally provisionally verify versus falsify the ideas presented.

Philosophy isn't focused on experimentation. It's focused on analysis and logic.

That's not all there is to the differences. But it's enough to begin to grasp how philosophy and science are distinct.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

A_Seagull wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:

Perhaps you could try answering the questions. You might learn something! :)
The questions are ones I'm familiar with and have asked as well. Your last sentence, however, answered your own take on those questions. Being "simple" rather than to seek certainty is your apparent position which I disagree with and so:

I want 'certainty' from philosophy, where possible. Others want this too OR to some verification of their own 'certainty' by some rationale that provides it. And 'good' philosophy is any that seeks for those 'certainties'.

That's implicit in my response to your own question. While technically, everybody has a 'philosophy' they might define for themselves, most don't know the formal concept of 'philosophy' and so aren't those looking into the subject particularly. To those who do, it has to be based upon either to dig deeper into unknowns, to learn HOW to analyze things, or to 'entertain' it for less obvious, but some underlying need to at least find validation in something they already believe. Of this last type, this could include the artistic side of philosophy, like investigating meaning in poetry, for instance.

I'm generally disagreeing that to your apparent interpretation of "simplicity" to mean "lack of concern for certainty", which is the default of those usually NOT caring to question things at all, often because they already get what they need more often and so think "shallowly" (thus, another tie to your "simplicity") No offence to you, but I think you'd disagree to this and why I am doubting your interpretation or you wouldn't be here. Unless, of course you're NOT here voluntarily, perhaps?