What do people want from philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"So then what I want is a philosophy that can refute the BS of other philosophies."

You don't need philosophy for that. All you need is a clear head. common sense, and thick skin.

Not that it matters...'philosophers' are largely blind and deaf to any-thing and -one that falls ouside of the Ivory Tower.

Better you should just ignore them cuz -- trust me -- if they ain't lecturin' to you, insultin' you, lookin' down on you, they're ignorin' you.
Harbal

Re:

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote:"So then what I want is a philosophy that can refute the BS of other philosophies."

You don't need philosophy for that. All you need is a clear head. common sense, and thick skin.

Not that it matters...'philosophers' are largely blind and deaf to any-thing and -one that falls ouside of the Ivory Tower.

Better you should just ignore them cuz -- trust me -- if they ain't lecturin' to you, insultin' you, lookin' down on you, they're ignorin' you.
If you have such a low opinion of philosophy why on earth do you spend time on a philosophy website? You Quirks are all the same: If philosophy were a council estate* the Quirks would be the antisocial family of ten living in the house with the scrap car in the front garden. All you're interested in is spoiling it for everyone else. You should leave the philosophy to those of us with a passion and talent for it. Why don't you get yourself a couple of terriers and take up ratting? I'm sure that would be more up your street.

* Council estate: If you're British you'll know what one is, if your not British I wouldn't know where to begin trying to give a definition.
A_Seagull

Re: Re:

Post by A_Seagull »

Harbal wrote:
henry quirk wrote:"So then what I want is a philosophy that can refute the BS of other philosophies."

If you have such a low opinion of philosophy why on earth do you spend time on a philosophy website? You Quirks are all the same: If philosophy were a council estate* the Quirks would be the antisocial family of ten living in the house with the scrap car in the front garden. All you're interested in is spoiling it for everyone else. You should leave the philosophy to those of us with a passion and talent for it. Why don't you get yourself a couple of terriers and take up ratting? I'm sure that would be more up your street.

* Council estate: If you're British you'll know what one is, if your not British I wouldn't know where to begin trying to give a definition.
There is a quite a distinction between philosophy and what has been written about philosophy.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

A_Seagull wrote:
There is a quite a distinction between philosophy and what has been written about philosophy.
There is an even bigger distinction between philosophy and what I write about philosophy.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Why am I here?

Cuz not everyone here is a *'philosopher', some are just commonsensical folks who like to think deeply and widely.

And: philosophy (thinking deeply and widely and sensibly) is friggin' great.

*the Ivory Tower crowd...the academics...the sheltered, soft, promoters of self and the 'correct way'...useless folks
osgart

Re: What do people want from philosophy?

Post by osgart »

a science to thought. An artistic perspective. Profound transcedental experience and enlightenment. And certainly not to deny reality and truth which has been its pitfall.
Terrapin Station

Re:

Post by Terrapin Station »

henry quirk wrote:Why am I here?

Cuz not everyone here is a *'philosopher', some are just commonsensical folks who like to think deeply and widely.
But who have no interest in reading any philosophy?
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Terrapin Station wrote:

Define philosophy XD.
Terrapin Station

TSBU wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:

Define philosophy XD.
The stuff you study as a philosophy major at a university.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Terrapin Station wrote:
TSBU wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:But who have no interest in reading any philosophy?
Define philosophy XD.
Ey, at least an honest definition.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Terrapin Station wrote:
TSBU wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:But who have no interest in reading any philosophy?
Define philosophy XD.
ROFL Is that what you learned at university? Sounds a bit inbred!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Terrapin Station wrote:The stuff you study as a philosophy major at a university.
And what would you call the stuff you study, as a philosophy major, at a minor university or a college.
Terrapin Station

thedoc wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:The stuff you study as a philosophy major at a university.
And what would you call the stuff you study, as a philosophy major, at a minor university or a college.
Um what? I'm thinking maybe you misread my comment?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Terrapin Station wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Um what? I'm thinking maybe you misread my comment?
Perhaps I did, I read it as a "major university", and you simply said "university". My mistake.