EGO ISN'T ENLIGHTENED WITH YOU

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Mortalsfool

Re: EGO ISN'T ENLIGHTENED WITH YOU

Post by Mortalsfool »

surreptitious57 wrote:
Mortalsfool wrote:
My question to you is can you describe enlightenment from your own first person view of its manifestation
The avoidance of any position that cannot be logically or empirically supported

The realisation that all I will ever know is in relative terms practically zero

There is nothing in my OP that cannot be logically supported. I described it as a 'method' completely sound in its mechanics; and contains nothing that smacks of supernatural needs. So, I would argue that it is not only possible, but, is a logical conclusion of an improved [enlightened], method of deducing accurate and pertinent answers to questions; a 'method' that is not common to our ways of thinking.

I ask you, can you think in the same way I describe? And can you see the benefit offered?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Mortalsfool wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Mortalsfool wrote:
My question to you is can you describe enlightenment from your own first person view of its manifestation

You think far less of our human potential than I do
Far less of my potential rather than potential per se
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Mortalsfool wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Mortalsfool wrote:

There is nothing in my OP that cannot be logically supported. I described it as a method completely sound in its mechanics and contains nothing that smacks of supernatural needs. So I would argue that it is not only possible but is a logical conclusion of an improved [ enlightened ] method
of deducing accurate and pertinent answers to questions: a method that is not common to our ways of thinking

I ask you can you think in the same way I describe? And can you see the benefit offered?
I can certainly see the benefit offered. But I cannot think in that way since I am human and so think emotionally as well
as logically. So this is a task more suited for artificial intelligence one it reaches a certain degree of cognitive capability
Mortalsfool

Post by Mortalsfool »

surreptitious57 wrote:
Mortalsfool wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote: The avoidance of any position that cannot be logically or empirically supported

There is nothing in my OP that cannot be logically supported. I described it as a method completely sound in its mechanics and contains nothing that smacks of supernatural needs. So I would argue that it is not only possible but is a logical conclusion of an improved [ enlightened ] method
of deducing accurate and pertinent answers to questions: a method that is not common to our ways of thinking

I ask you can you think in the same way I describe? And can you see the benefit offered?
I can certainly see the benefit offered. But I cannot think in that way since I am human and so think emotionally as well
as logically. So this is a task more suited for artificial intelligence one it reaches a certain degree of cognitive capability
If a human is unable to think in the way I described, how could I describe it? That's my whole point in asking for first-person views of philosophic accomplishments. If a person is in fact able to describe something that you are not yet able to do, as long as its dynamics require nothing more than a logical and ordered use of the information you already contain, there is no reason for it to be muddled up by emotional influences. It is indeed, emotion that screws up a person's ability to see things untouched by emotional clouding.

Unchecked use of emotions removes the possibility of 'seeing' reality as it is, one interpretation; it is what it is! Blocking clarity, the person whose control lacks ability to un-see multiple interpretations of an event seen with emotions, includes thoughts, that if true, would indeed require considerations that contain an excess of what 'reality' requires.

When I say that emotions are a weakness, most people respond by saying, "It can't be a weakness, love in an emotion". I disagree, love stirs emotions but is not an emotion itself. The whole purpose of learning to think philosophically, is to see things without having an emotional patina clouding the truth.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Mortalsfool wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:19 pm
Mortalsfool wrote: Trixie, love your handle!
Thankyou, but do you also love my love handles?
Mortalsfool wrote:What do you want to do, kiss me?
I don't know, I was going to ask you the same thing.

Trixie, why do you think they are called 'love handles?' Of course.

Actually my question about kissing was meant for Bill W. He seems to have the type of character that would want or need a kiss.
I want and need a kiss too though?
Mortalsfool

Post by Mortalsfool »

My sister just sent me this quote. I think that some of the trolls on this site that pretend to be philosophic should think about it while looking in a mirror.

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

And Trixie, I think that anyone that thinks they don't need a kiss, is wallowing in self-despair and is suffering a great lack. As I see it, a kiss is a shared and beautiful intimacy.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Mortalsfool wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 pm My sister just sent me this quote. I think that some of the trolls on this site that pretend to be philosophic should think about it while looking in a mirror.

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

And Trixie, I think that anyone that thinks they don't need a kiss, is wallowing in self-despair and is suffering a great lack. As I see it, a kiss is a shared and beautiful intimacy.
Tell that to surreptitious.

Also, I know in my old post I said vote for Jill stein, but now I will say this, Trust no politician they are corrupt.
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

What exactly in enlightenment has to do with logic and arguments except for your own enlightened philosophy? If you have reached enlightenment, please tell me if you have used a certain philosophy (e.g. Vajrayana) or not (e.g. Zen) and what have you done to achieve it? What is your view of life when you experience enlightenment? For instance, mine is to achieve happiness permanently and to help others to achieve the same.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Viveka wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:45 pm What exactly in enlightenment has to do with logic and arguments except for your own enlightened philosophy? If you have reached enlightenment, please tell me if you have used a certain philosophy (e.g. Vajrayana) or not (e.g. Zen) and what have you done to achieve it? What is your view of life when you experience enlightenment? For instance, mine is to achieve happiness permanently and to help others to achieve the same.
Is this experience of happiness permanent or only lasts for a bit?
Mortalsfool

Post by Mortalsfool »

Viveka wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:45 pm What exactly in enlightenment has to do with logic and arguments except for your own enlightened philosophy?

If you have reached enlightenment, please tell me if you have used a certain philosophy (e.g. Vajrayana) or not (e.g. Zen) and what have you done to achieve it? What is your view of life when you experience enlightenment? For instance, mine is to achieve happiness permanently and to help others to achieve the same.
As I just said in my new post "Enlightenment Defined" the first thing a philosopher has to do is 'duct-tape' his Ego's mouth shut. When that is done, your eyes can be opened so you can 'see' reality in the same way a God sees it; untarnished by both inside opinions and those from others. What you find is that your philosophical thoughts never conflict with reality, meaning everything we already 'know'. Know being the key word. Not plagued by the fancies, fables, and self-serving judgments formed by religions or others views! You never have to go back and 'change' what you learned since it's based on and in reality. You are no longer dependent on chanting or praying, or other such flagellating endeavors, you see the world in the 'now-moment' and make alldecisions with a clear headed-ness used for your own self benefit. And,it never, 'never' leaves you for a moment; hence, a state of perpetual happiness.
Mortalsfool

Post by Mortalsfool »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:10 am
Viveka wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:45 pm What exactly in enlightenment has to do with logic and arguments except for your own enlightened philosophy? If you have reached enlightenment, please tell me if you have used a certain philosophy (e.g. Vajrayana) or not (e.g. Zen) and what have you done to achieve it? What is your view of life when you experience enlightenment? For instance, mine is to achieve happiness permanently and to help others to achieve the same.
Is this experience of happiness permanent or only lasts for a bit?
It appears as though it will last me to my last breath, or so I hope!
Celebritydiscodave2

Post by Celebritydiscodave2 »

Prejudice is the enemy of enlightenment: Would you give a guy thirty years your senior a chance on the off chance he might be the same age? For instance, I`m 65 yrs and beating the world physically, I average one new physical record every two months, likely possess more vitality than you as well. All you are likely interested in is the number, sixty five, this is programmed, and along with a considerable amount else which is prejudice (ignorance) So then, before one can even contemplate ever being enlightened one must completely deprogramme and start perceptually anew, in exactly the same way as would any genuine social philosopher.

Our minds are not even designed to be permanently happy, we`d have to be suffering from a chronic disease state, or otherwise be privy to a very short memory cycle. This is dependant on one`s definition for happy however. Taken as an in general background state, yes, that is the place to be.
Mortalsfool

Post by Mortalsfool »

Celebritydiscodave2 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:09 pm Prejudice is the enemy of enlightenment: Would you give a guy thirty years your senior a chance on the off chance he might be the same age? For instance, I`m 65 yrs and beating the world physically, I average one new physical record every two months, likely possess more vitality than you as well. All you are likely interested in is the number, sixty five, this is programmed, and along with a considerable amount else which is prejudice (ignorance) So then, before one can even contemplate ever being enlightened one must completely deprogramme and start perceptually anew, in exactly the same way as would any genuine social philosopher.

Our minds are not even designed to be permanently happy, we`d have to be suffering from a chronic disease state, or otherwise be privy to a very short memory cycle. This is dependant on one`s definition for happy however. Taken as an in general background state, yes, that is the place to be.
Discodave, I'm only 80 years old and still doing better physically than those twenty years younger. When I say that my philosophy has made me a happy man for thirty-seven years, I mean just that! My philosophy allowed me to face many things that most people will not have the misfortune of experiencing for themselves, like homelessness [by choice], and the deaths of two of my children, without personal dismay.

What I've concluded by these philosophy forums is, while many cloak themselves in pretend philosophic mantles, they have nothing to speak of from 'first-hand' experience; meaning 'what they learned'. To critique a man's claims when it regards the very same things they seek themselves is foolishness fit only for arguing among fools.

Since I'm eighty and just look good, I'm still figuring out what I want to do with the rest of my life. Perhaps I'll start a family.

When I'm asked what my secret is I reply; give everything a low give-a-shit factor and smoke a lot of pot. Worked for me!
TijgerlelieWijnhard

Post by TijgerlelieWijnhard »

What is this enlightment that you speak of? Is there truly such a thing or do we just create dogma upon dogma of what we consider relatively plausible truth? Besides, I think of the plausability of those supposed truths as relative.

The more I philosophise, the more aware I become of my ignorance and how the possibility of becoming enlightened is basically nihil and thus a futile goal to strive towards.
Mortalsfool

Post by Mortalsfool »

TijgerlelieWijnhard wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:02 pm What is this enlightment that you speak of? Is there truly such a thing or do we just create dogma upon dogma of what we consider relatively plausible truth? Besides, I think of the plausability of those supposed truths as relative.

The more I philosophise, the more aware I become of my ignorance and how the possibility of becoming enlightened is basically nihil and thus a futile goal to strive towards.
I believe I've described differences in philosophical thinking that differ from normal methods. I've concluded that it's nothing more than thinking without the clouding of emotions. While this "method" in no way negates emotions it does keep them in their place, and their place is not in front of your minds attention. The result is less diffusion of facts caused by multiple views stemming from emotional influences. As there is only one real truth to any circumstance, it means never creating occasion to go back an rethink past determinations. This allows for a progression of learning steps instead of second-guessing past decisions.

And, of course I agree, that the sum of any single person's knowledge amounts to a degree of ignorance, but, one has to admit there are levels of ignorance which many a thinking person does not want to want for themselves; hence philosophy; unlike like the masses. There is no futility in raising your intellect 'up' to its highest potential.