Consideration, Opinion, Will

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jaded Sage

Consideration, Opinion, Will

Post by Jaded Sage »

Is consideration an act of 100% will or do other factors contribute to how we consider things. When I almost trip, I consider it funny, and so I laugh. Did I once, when I tripped for the first time, decide to consider tripping funny, and thereby influence my experience of tripping for all time? Or did I see a person trip in a comedy, where I was intructed to consider it funny, and later, because I considered the difference between myself tripping and other tripping insignificant, brought that consideration to my own experience? Even if there was outside influence, was considering tripping funny not an act of will initially that eventually became habitual? The instruction increased the likelihood that I would consider it funny. It highlighted the silliness of it and hid the out-of-controlness of it, so that I only took note of the silliness and not the out-of-controlness when I decided to consider it funny. Now I have a "theory" or "story" or consideration about tripping. The story is that it is funny. It is said that having this consideration helps the event be experienced as such. And also, I laugh when tripping is even hinted at.

By opinion I mean judgement, and by that I mean assigning a ready-made theory, story, description, consideration to something that does not currently have one, or appears to match the description of something.

I guess consider and judge are synonyms except that one is final and one is not. Perhaps consideration results, culminates and is completed as judgement.