Alan Watts!!!!

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

raw_thought

Alan Watts!!!!

Post by raw_thought »

ALAN WATTS!
Alan Watts was a great popularizer of philosophy.
I want the next video at my funeral. No small talk about how great I was, just this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opn5iVaRyDU
This next video is profound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giZN0ZuDERY
This next video is called atheist spirituality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE5M8743a1s

I just wanted to share with you the ideas that changed my life. That words are mere labels. Reality is meaningless because it does not refer to anything. Only words do that! However, that meaninglessness (the void) is beautiful!
raw_thought

Re: Alan Watts!!!!

Post by raw_thought »

PS.do not confuse alan watts with alan watt,they are two different people!
Buddhist guy

Post by Buddhist guy »

Well, I'm certainly coming from the same philosophical viewpoint! Thanks Raw thought!
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

One has to be unsual stupid to these ramblings has any value, easily manipulated and out right naïve.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

???
What did Alan say that you think is stupid?
I think you simply like creating conflict.
Buddhist guy

Post by Buddhist guy »

If you want to point the finger and say stupid/naïve you may want to clarify why you believe this to be the case.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opn5iVaRyDU

How can he say this => "so the universe is a transit resistant like a bubble like smoke like" ...when he later says this => "scared of death because it's an unknown", it's not only selfcontradicting, but how does he know what the uniververse is like?

"so long as we can think of death as a bad thing we can be ruled. That is why the goverment doesn't like mystics"

..and the ramblings continues.

This should be very obvious even for teens, but guess you guys have NO cirtical sense!!
Buddhist guy

Post by Buddhist guy »

Hello,
How can he say this => "so the universe is a transit resistant like a bubble like smoke like" ...when he later says this => "scared of death because it's an unknown", it's not only selfcontradicting, but how does he know what the uniververse is like?
Are you saying that there are such things as permanent objects? Watts is using metaphors for impermanence, what's wrong with that?
Are you also suggesting that most human beings are not afraid of death at least in part because it's an unknown? I realise this may not be the case for everyone, but as a generalisation I see no obvious problem here. And where's the contradiction? :? As far as knowing what the universe is like, I see all knowledge as contextually true not absolutely. I imagine Watts, like most people "knows what the universe is like" in the same way we all do. We live in it, observe it with our senses, scientific apparatus etc, draw conclusions or hypotheses and test them(Or we assume we have the absolute truth about a phenomena and blindly hold to it as is all too often the case with us humans!)

"so long as we can think of death as a bad thing we can be ruled. That is why the goverment doesn't like mystics"
Seems to me there's a grain of truth here. To me a "mystic" is a rather loaded term, but I think what Watts was driving at here was that institutions such as government don't tend to look favorably on those who are unafraid to challenge the status quo (Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Jesus and Harvey Milk spring to mind).
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

his cousin Mega was electrifying ...

-Imp
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Impenitent wrote:his cousin Mega was electrifying ...

-Imp
:lol:
Bright spark 8)
Buddhist guy

Post by Buddhist guy »

1.21 Alan Watts! Great scott! :lol:
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Buddhist guy wrote:Hello,
Are you saying that there are such things as permanent objects? Watts is using metaphors for impermanence, what's wrong with that?
Are you also suggesting that most human beings are not afraid of death at least in part because it's an unknown? I realise this may not be the case for everyone, but as a generalisation I see no obvious problem here. And where's the contradiction? :? As far as knowing what the universe is like, I see all knowledge as contextually true not absolutely. I imagine Watts, like most people "knows what the universe is like" in the same way we all do. We live in it, observe it with our senses, scientific apparatus etc, draw conclusions or hypotheses and test them(Or we assume we have the absolute truth about a phenomena and blindly hold to it as is all too often the case with us humans!)

Seems to me there's a grain of truth here. To me a "mystic" is a rather loaded term, but I think what Watts was driving at here was that institutions such as government don't tend to look favorably on those who are unafraid to challenge the status quo (Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Jesus and Harvey Milk spring to mind).
You are arriving to weird conclusions to what I say, l2 read! When do I speak of permanent objects?

Where do I speak of most humans not being afraid of death?

What has impermanence to do with anything? It has no relevance in any possible context that he's trying to make.

For most intelligent people it has nothing to do with an unknown, it hasn't much to do with an unknown, but instincts of selpersevation, which you seemingly seem glaringly ignorant about.

If you can't see the self contradiction that I made very very clear, then you are not very bright.

In the middle ages they would also sit and guess and speculate about the universe and arrived to very bizarre conclusions. like the world was the center of the universe.
People in general suck at guessing and you are no better, in fact you are very bad at it.

..well enough of your babble and raving!

As I said initially, one has to be unusual stupid to see any relevance in this vid's mad ramblings, only naïve and easily manipulated retards will fall for this piece of shit!

One has to ask which kind of jobs fools like you have?
Buddhist guy

Post by Buddhist guy »

Apparently raw though is correct. You are not interested in rational and respectful debate or learning anything. I am not interested in
trading pointless abuse and insults so I will say goodbye.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Buddhist guy wrote:Apparently raw though is correct. You are not interested in rational and respectful debate or learning anything. I am not interested in
trading pointless abuse and insults so I will say goodbye.
If the foundation of the debate would be rational, but it isn't! You are not intelligent enough to grasp that, and the mere concept of being Buddhist is irrational, and for the most part has to be very stupid to follow which proves that you can't make sensible arguments, and yes you proved my point in your posts, you can't comprehend very basic arguments, you only get manipulated by beautiful rhetoric.

You guys are completely unsuited for very basic philosophy, that even children has the capacity to learn, but you really lack basic intellect.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

HexHammer wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opn5iVaRyDU

..and the ramblings continues.

This should be very obvious even for teens, but guess you guys have NO cirtical sense!!
??? The universe is constantly changing and yes it will eventually experience heat death.
You dis not know that???