What does 'Philosophical Enquiry' mean to you?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoramblues

What does 'Philosophical Enquiry' mean to you?

Post by marjoramblues »

What is Philosophical Enquiry?
Abstract or conceptual thinking?

Recently, I found this refreshing read about 'Philosophical Enquiry' in a classroom setting which involved:

How to facilitate in a classroom situation; involving some basic interpersonal rules leading to increased respect and empathy > self-confidence, self-esteem, levels of articulation, not to mention increased vocabulary, enhanced problem-solving ability and a willingness to take risks.

Use of stimuli: such as books,music, art > Abstract sculpture:

…after showing a year 2 class an abstract sculpture, they were quickly able to generate a long list of interesting concepts including: light, peace, shape, materials, which led them to generate the question "Why does art make us feel peaceful?". I think what makes this so special as an approach to teaching and learning is a focus on both thinking and interpersonal skills...

Giving children the tools, the language and the opportunity to discuss issues that are really important to them and their lives, is perhaps one of the most important skills we can give them. Some useful things to say to facilitate the enquiry could include:

• Do you agree or disagree with what you have just heard?
• Can you clarify what you mean?
• What I think you are saying is … Is that right?
• Can you give an example to support your argument?

It is quite rare, in enquiry, not to be wowed at some point by a child's contribution. Recently a child in a reception class with a number of development issues spoke for the first time in four months when she described what she thought magic would look like if we could see it.

It is often quieter children or children who don't access the curriculum as easily, who often surprise me in enquiry with how insightful their contributions are.
I think that for children who do struggle academically, the philosophy sessions are incredibly liberating as there are no 'wrong' answers.

http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-netw ... -classroom
duszek

Re: What does 'Philosophical Enquiry' mean to you?

Post by duszek »

Analytical thinking.

Are abstract and conceptual thinking not the same ?

If you move to abstract levels of thinking you have only concepts at your disposal, no real things you can point to.

A contract is an abstract concept.
An obligation is an even more abstract concept.

You can point to a dog and say "this is a dog" but you cannot point to anything in particular in the world and say "this is a contract".
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

marjoramblues wrote:What is Philosophical Enquiry?
A misspell of "inquiry"?
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

keeping philosophy vital means never having to use the word 'philosophy' ?

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/children/

...An unassuming 96 page novel for middle-school children, Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery features Harry and his 5th grade classmates. Adults occasionally enter in, but the primary philosophical work is the children's. Harry and his friends discover several basic concepts and rules of Aristotelean logic; and they puzzle over questions about the nature of thought, mind, causality, reality, knowledge and belief, right and wrong, and fairness and unfairness. The story does not introduce any of the special vocabulary of philosophy (not even the word ‘philosophy’ itself makes an appearance). Philosophical inquiry is initiated by the children in the story rather than adults....

@ duszek: yeah, how many adjectives can we put in front of the word 'thinking' - analytical, reflective, cloudy, stoopid ?
what makes it 'philosophical'?

@ Voice: 'enquiry' and 'inquiry' can be interchangeable. However, feel free to take 'enquiry' as 'asking questions' and 'inquiry' as 'investigation'...
Last edited by marjoramblues on Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

The Voice of Time wrote:
marjoramblues wrote:What is Philosophical Enquiry?
A misspell of "inquiry"?
No, I think not.

As a noun, (an enquiry/an inquiry) both 'enquiry' and 'inquiry' are correct, though 'inquiry' tends to be used more for formal investigations and 'enquiry' for simple questions. The bureaucrat at the help desk might ask you: "What was your enquiry?"

However, the activity of 'enquiry' is also spelled both with an 'e' and with an 'i', though in that case I think the two spellings mean exactly the same.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Oops, marjoramblues beat me by less than 60 seconds!
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

RickLewis wrote:Oops, marjoramblues beat me by less than 60 seconds!
:lol: 8)
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Thanks for the clarification, you two!

M, I am moving our conversation here as I don't wish to be rude in Bills 5 word thread. Please feel free to boot my ass out of here too, if you'd like. :)

M: Philosophy Now is pretty good, huh ? Was it only then that you realised your keen ability to think for yourself ? Perhaps reading/ engaging in Philosophy has made you even more aware of different aspects of life’s questions/debates; however, from what you say about your moral compasss and dislike of Christian groupthink, you were already pretty grounded.

AS: PN is great if you like thinking...not so much if you already think you have all the answers. I believe that some people are threatened by philosophical inquiry and enquiry....like I used to be. But I do think sometimes it takes strong shoulders in order to hold up a thinking brain. Sometimes I like to not think...be a brat and blow bubbles.... The trouble is when you tell another exactly what you are thinking...you open yourself up to scrutiny....and that is what took time to get used to.

M: Some perceived ‘stupidities’ are pretty harmless. Like spending time responding to posts, when it is sunny out ! What kind of harmful stupidity are you talking about? How are you unable to deal with it in yourself and others; how would ‘Philosophical Enquiry’ help ?

AS: I am talking about the type of stupidity that makes one think they are an expert on things they are not. For example, Before philosophy me might watch a news program about the deficit and think I had all the answers. I did not have to investigate further. I was sure by that one news program I was infallible. It used to feel nice...having such a grasp on the economy and politics! I was sure a Harvard honorary degree was just around the corner! Thanks to philosophy now...I know I am never going to receive that honor! Do you have any idea what that has done to me self esteem?! Do you?!?

M: Hmmm, is that truly a philosophical method of enquiry ? Telling yourself that anxiety is only a figment of imagination ? Knowledge of self and own experience certainly aids in coping; most things will pass – and might be exacerbated by the mind. I agree more with the examination – looking at the ‘What?’ of the problem – the facts and putting them into perspective. However, it could be argued that this is not so much based on ‘Philosophical Enquiry’ – rather a capacity for practical reasoning, gained by experience. Somehow, people get by without subscribing to Philosophy Now.

AS: No, it's not that easy when you are having anxiety to reason or do philosophical enquiry when you are freakin inside. It does take practice. That is what I learned here. And even if the questions are not "the best" they can distract and even be a stepping stone to better questions.

M:At what level of society, do you think this could be introduced; primary school ? I read an interesting article about teaching Philo Enquiry to school kids. Might post it, it's refreshing.

AS: I read it here...thanks. I wish they had that when I was in school.

AS: the answer to the question "what do I desire" sometimes changes throughout life.

M: Well, yes…if anyone ever has the time, or inclination, to reflect at all on their own life…

AS: But I don't understand this? Who doesn't? At the very least our base instinct is to want to derive the most pleasure and comfort from life. I never understood leaving it all up to chance...like the pursuit of happiness is a pure crap shoot. I don't believe it has to be that way...not that we can always be happy and comforted...but that at least we can learn techniques which would put the odds in our favor.

M: Careful thought about the ‘Who?’, huh ? ‘Romance and Reason’, hmmm, go on write the book !
The goal of ‘What’ is fine and can be written in stone, even if unrealistic ; the ‘When’ and ‘How’…not so easy to control.

AS: Yes, but let's take the 'when' for example...one may never know 'when'...but the chances of "when" ever coming to fruition if one rarely has human contact is rare. We increase our odds when we meet people.

M: Because he had no desire for boiled ham...

AS: But she did like the ham that cooked on the lava rocks buried in the ground which is why this little piggy went wee wee wee all the way to Hawaii (next week! yea!) 8)
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

M, I am moving our conversation here as I don't wish to be rude in Bills 5 word thread. Please feel free to boot my ass out of here too, if you'd like. :)
Glad you did; that's why I started this new thread. Should have made that clear at the start...
Thanks to Bill - and you - for the 5 word inspiration.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11491

Later...

Hawaii :shock:
duszek

Post by duszek »

marjoramblues wrote:
@ duszek: yeah, how many adjectives can we put in front of the word 'thinking' - analytical, reflective, cloudy, stoopid ?
what makes it 'philosophical'?
Philosophical = loving wisdome.

What kind of thinking loves wisdom ?

Cloudy, fuzzy and emotional probably hardly so.

Analytical, disciplined, honest, probably yes.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

What goes on in our heads when we think ?

1. We shift concepts (expressed by words) and reorganize them and see what comes out.

2. We switch from one vague feeling to another vague feeling. And start to produce texts when a feeling tells us to do it.
This text can be an excuse, an answer, an insult, a provocation, a hug, etc.
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

AS: PN is great if you like thinking...not so much if you already think you have all the answers. I believe that some people are threatened by philosophical inquiry and enquiry....like I used to be. But I do think sometimes it takes strong shoulders in order to hold up a thinking brain. Sometimes I like to not think...be a brat and blow bubbles.... The trouble is when you tell another exactly what you are thinking...you open yourself up to scrutiny....and that is what took time to get used to.

M: That could be a new thread: 'What is great about PN?'. Again, why would anyone be threatened by P/philosophical enquiry, either as personal self-questioning or the Grand Investigations of Philosophers ? Because it migh mean change? Why else would the questions be asked, in the first place? How do you 'not think' ? - perhaps, just a matter of degree. Blowing bubbles > how did that happen, why the beautiful colours...?
However, what is it that makes a question particularly 'philosophical' ?
Is it the opening up of self and own beliefs to scrutiny of others? So, religious. societal, psychological, political, etc questioning all come under the umbrella of P/philosophical E/enquiry?

AS: I am talking about the type of stupidity that makes one think they are an expert on things they are not. For example, Before philosophy now, I might watch a news program about the deficit and think I had all the answers. I did not have to investigate further.

M: Yes, I agree that being more aware of the media and bias in reporting 'facts' is a useful skill. However, is further investigation into the facts necessarily a philosophical activity. I suppose if we take 'philosophical thinking and query' as an umbrella term, then every question can be so described.

I wonder if that's what 'Philosophical Enquiry' means to most people ?

M:...is that truly a philosophical method of enquiry ? Telling yourself that anxiety is only a figment of imagination ?...it could be argued that this is not so much ‘Philosophical Enquiry’ – rather a capacity for practical reasoning, gained by experience. Somehow, people get by without subscribing to Philosophy Now.

AS: No, it's not that easy when you are having anxiety to reason or do philosophical enquiry when you are freakin inside. It does take practice. That is what I learned here. And even if the questions are not "the best" they can distract and even be a stepping stone to better questions.

M: Guess it depends on the cause, type and level of anxiety; also, the personal coping skills.
We can learn that it is, not something 'bad' per se, but a natural response.
Would this usually be learned via a philosophy site/journal ?
Yes, it takes a measure of control to address anxiety-provoking issues; again, using the 5 W's of T/thought + 'How?' might help...but first you might need to calm the brain, by blowing bubbles?

M:At what level of society, do you think this could be introduced; primary school ? I read an interesting article about teaching Philo Enquiry to school kids. Might post it, it's refreshing.

AS: I read it here...thanks. I wish they had that when I was in school.

M: Me too !

----

M: Well, yes…if anyone ever has the time, or inclination, to reflect at all on their own life…

AS: But I don't understand this? Who doesn't? At the very least our base instinct is to want to derive the most pleasure and comfort from life. I never understood leaving it all up to chance...like the pursuit of happiness is a pure crap shoot. I don't believe it has to be that way...not that we can always be happy and comforted...but that at least we can learn techniques which would put the odds in our favor.

M: Who doesn't have the time, or inclination, to reflect or dwell on what it is they desire personally from life ? I'll tell you who I had in mind when I wrote that - my maternal grandmother. Perhaps she did, for all I know. However, in general terms - people who are struggling to meet all the basic needs of family. Too busy. Too tired. Too not caring or believing that anything will change their lot. Not wanting to think of what 'could be'...for fear of not being able to attain it. Acceptance of what will be, will be.
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

duszek wrote: Philosophical = loving wisdome.
What kind of thinking loves wisdom ?
Cloudy, fuzzy and emotional probably hardly so.
Analytical, disciplined, honest, probably yes.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

What goes on in our heads when we think ?
1. We shift concepts (expressed by words) and reorganize them and see what comes out.
2. We switch from one vague feeling to another vague feeling. And start to produce texts when a feeling tells us to do it.
This text can be an excuse, an answer, an insult, a provocation, a hug, etc.
Hmmm, where to start...from the heart?

You see, something about this definition of 'philosophical' grates on me every time I see it.
It's like philosophers are making themselves and their questions so very 'above' everyone else.
Philosophical Enquiry, then, means what ? Questions which only lovers of wisdom ask, or a wise method to find wise answers?

'Kinds of thinking' - can't love wisdom, only people do.
Cloudy, fuzzy, and emotional thinking - may be just the very kinds of thinking which happen during a Philosophical Enquiry. From start to end of the process.

Analytical, disciplined, honest thinking - yes, important to have control and use particular ways of thinking. How much of this goes on within, let's say, a philosophical forum; what can be described as genuine philosophical enquiry?

I like your description of what goes on in our heads when we are thinking; what do you mean by 'texts' - only written ?
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

Discussed at the World Congress of Philosophy !

Rick: The theme was "Philosophy as Inquiry and Way of Life", which is perhaps intentionally vague. There was certainly much more there about philosophy as inquiry than about philosophy as way of life...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11618
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

Living dangerously: asking philosophical questions on the top of a Clapham Bus...

http://philosophynow.org/issues/33/The_ ... _Revisited
© Dr Timothy J. Madigan 2001

Philosophy Now: We’re from Philosophy Now magazine. We want to interview people on the Clapham bus. Do you have any opinions on the meaning of life?

Bus Inspector: None at all. Live today as it is.
Philosophy Now: That’s a good one. Thanks. [This is known in Anthropology as the “Sucking Up to the Leader” method.]

We next sat beside an elderly man, who looked like he was either deep in thought or fast asleep.
Philosophy Now: What do you think the ultimate purpose of life is?
Elderly Man: What the Catholic Church teaches.
Philosophy Now: You mean live this life so as to achieve eternal salvation?
Elderly Man: Yes, that’s right. Next, we sidled up to a smiling Jamaican gentleman, who kindly turned down the Reggae music he was sharing with fellow passengers in order to speak with us.

Philosophy Now: Can we ask you what you think about the meaning of life?
Jamaican Gentleman: The meaning of life. That’s a tough one. Er … Love!
Philosophy Now: Fair enough. Cheers! Another occupant, who volunteered the information that he was from South Africa, freely joined in the conversation.

South African Man: Life’s all about surfing.
Philosophy Now: Surfing?
South African Man: Six-foot barrels … It’s a great laugh. I live in South Africa, been here a week now, working. Trying to make bucks. I suppose that’s what’s life about as well.
Philosophy Now: Two answers for the price of one!

Surprisingly enough, while the bus was fairly full, no one else either chimed in with their definitions nor chose to join the general discussion. In fact, their sullen looks and threatening gestures eventually led Rick, Anja and me to disembark for fear of grievous bodily harm being done to us if we continued our philosophical investigations.

So, perhaps attending the World Congress in Athens was a bit safer, and more instructive?
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

For me, 'P/philosophical E/enquiry' takes various forms: asking the 5 W's and 'How' questions and investigating different aspects of philosophy.

PN magazine: reading and analysing some obscure, to me, articles. Sometimes skimming over and not bothering to ask 'what' or 'why'; could be that I miss opportunities for further investigation...but hey, time is limited...

In this forum, it includes continuing conversation concerning books and philosophers; starting a thread inspired by another; or puzzling my way through other contributors' posts. As can be seen, there are pros and cons...but always it draws...?'s

Other sites: on the look-out for something which will grab me by the throat and not let go.
I found this, t'other day and think it worthwhile to share:
Stoicism alive and well in modern day society - there will be a 'Live Like a Stoic Week', Nov 25. for details see link:

http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/sample-page/

In sum: questioning stuff - discovering deep and wise legacies together with surprising new finds, what more could you ask for...?