Killed Anything Today?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Sir-Sister-of-Suck
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 am

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:56 pm

thedoc wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:52 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 pm
People would probably write me off as a loon.
Am I supposed to care what other people think of me?

BTW, I know enough people on forums who do like me and respect what I post, if you're not one of them, OK.
I never said that. I mean if I didn't respect you or what you post, I probably wouldn't be engaging in this very drawn out conversation with you about how you're not backing up a point you made

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3846
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by Harbal » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:02 pm

thedoc wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:52 pm
Am I supposed to care what other people think of me?
I don't think you care, you wouldn't say the stuff you do if you cared what people thought of you.
I know enough people on forums who do like me and respect what I post
Do they know you don't care what they think?

thedoc
Posts: 6057
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by thedoc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Harbal wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:02 pm
thedoc wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:52 pm
Am I supposed to care what other people think of me?
I don't think you care, you wouldn't say the stuff you do if you cared what people thought of you.
I know enough people on forums who do like me and respect what I post
Do they know you don't care what they think?
That's not exactly what I said, but the people who like me and respect what I post have come to that conclusion after many years of exchanges, enough for each of them to come to understand where I am on some issues, unlike others who just want to misrepresent what I post to suit their own agenda.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3846
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by Harbal » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:56 pm

thedoc wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 pm
That's not exactly what I said,
No one could ever accuse you of saying things exactly.
but the people who like me and respect what I post have come to that conclusion after many years of exchanges,
I'm sure both of them are very loyal friends, doc.
unlike others who just want to misrepresent what I post to suit their own agenda.
I hope you don't think I have an agenda, I do it purely for the fun of it.

thedoc
Posts: 6057
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by thedoc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Harbal wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:56 pm
thedoc wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 pm
unlike others who just want to misrepresent what I post to suit their own agenda.
I hope you don't think I have an agenda, I do it purely for the fun of it.
I've started to understand that about you, and it's OK.

thedoc
Posts: 6057
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by thedoc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:18 pm

Belinda wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:56 pm
Doc, for what it's worth, I respect you less because you approve of capital punishment. Killing people is pretty drastic and you would need to produce some awfully good argument in order to support deliberate killing.
Very little in this world is absolute and capital punishment is one of them. I would ask for drastic reasons to end someone's life, but I'm not totally opposed to it.

I would also ask for drastic reasons to be totally opposed to capital punishment, I assume that you are satisfied with your reasons, so be it.

Belinda
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by Belinda » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 am

thedoc wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:18 pm
Belinda wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:56 pm
Doc, for what it's worth, I respect you less because you approve of capital punishment. Killing people is pretty drastic and you would need to produce some awfully good argument in order to support deliberate killing.
Very little in this world is absolute and capital punishment is one of them. I would ask for drastic reasons to end someone's life, but I'm not totally opposed to it.

I would also ask for drastic reasons to be totally opposed to capital punishment, I assume that you are satisfied with your reasons, so be it.
What I mean, doc, is that capital punishment is not some psychopath nor is it some angry person killing another man in a fit of passion. Neither is capital punishment you protecting a weaker person or a beloved other. Capital punishment is you yourself killing in cold blood somebody who is helpless to repeat the crime.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3846
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by Harbal » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:51 am

Belinda wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 am
What I mean, doc, is that capital punishment is not some psychopath nor is it some angry person killing another man in a fit of passion. Neither is capital punishment you protecting a weaker person or a beloved other. Capital punishment is you yourself killing in cold blood somebody who is helpless to repeat the crime.
Some people don't seem to see the irony in regarding killing as the ultimate wrong and then going on to punish it by killing. Murder and execution may have different definitions but the view that one is okay and the other isn't is purely arbitrary.

Walker
Posts: 4004
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by Walker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 am

Belinda wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 am
thedoc wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:18 pm
Belinda wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:56 pm
Doc, for what it's worth, I respect you less because you approve of capital punishment. Killing people is pretty drastic and you would need to produce some awfully good argument in order to support deliberate killing.
Very little in this world is absolute and capital punishment is one of them. I would ask for drastic reasons to end someone's life, but I'm not totally opposed to it.

I would also ask for drastic reasons to be totally opposed to capital punishment, I assume that you are satisfied with your reasons, so be it.
What I mean, doc, is that capital punishment is not some psychopath nor is it some angry person killing another man in a fit of passion. Neither is capital punishment you protecting a weaker person or a beloved other. Capital punishment is you yourself killing in cold blood somebody who is helpless to repeat the crime.
That’s ripe for the moronic terrorism rebuttal, which is, more folks die of lightning strikes than capital punishment, so what's the hubbub, bub?

thedoc
Posts: 6057
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by thedoc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Belinda wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 am
Capital punishment is you yourself killing in cold blood somebody who is helpless to repeat the crime.
That is where the problem is, in today's legal climate a psychopath could get a good lawyer and be free to commit the same crime again. Execution eliminates the problem at risk of executing someone who may never commit that crime again.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 4305
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Harbal wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:51 am
Belinda wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 am
What I mean, doc, is that capital punishment is not some psychopath nor is it some angry person killing another man in a fit of passion. Neither is capital punishment you protecting a weaker person or a beloved other. Capital punishment is you yourself killing in cold blood somebody who is helpless to repeat the crime.
Some people don't seem to see the irony in regarding killing as the ultimate wrong and then going on to punish it by killing. Murder and execution may have different definitions but the view that one is okay and the other isn't is purely arbitrary.
People complain that the US prisons are overstocked compared with other countries (a weak argument since it can be said the other countries have a poor sense of justice). Capital punishment isn't murder as you're speaking on behalf of victims and society (after a trial) through a fair process. Otherwise you're supporting violent criminals who may go on to do more violent crimes (btw I'm not opposed to the use of torture).

PhilX

User avatar
Sir-Sister-of-Suck
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 am

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:43 pm
Harbal wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:51 am
Belinda wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 am
What I mean, doc, is that capital punishment is not some psychopath nor is it some angry person killing another man in a fit of passion. Neither is capital punishment you protecting a weaker person or a beloved other. Capital punishment is you yourself killing in cold blood somebody who is helpless to repeat the crime.
Some people don't seem to see the irony in regarding killing as the ultimate wrong and then going on to punish it by killing. Murder and execution may have different definitions but the view that one is okay and the other isn't is purely arbitrary.
People complain that the US prisons are overstocked compared with other countries (a weak argument since it can be said the other countries have a poor sense of justice). Capital punishment isn't murder as you're speaking on behalf of victims and society (after a trial) through a fair process. Otherwise you're supporting violent criminals who may go on to do more violent crimes (btw I'm not opposed to the use of torture).

PhilX
I think most of the people say that with knowledge of some of the laws that a lot of people end up going to prison for, like non-violent drug offenses. If the United States had an unusually high rate of violent crimes compared to its population, I don't think anyone would have an issue with it.

What do you think of the statistics on the number of death-row prisoners who are later exonerated or found to be innocent?

thedoc
Posts: 6057
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by thedoc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:05 am

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 pm
What do you think of the statistics on the number of death-row prisoners who are later exonerated or found to be innocent?
What are the exact statistics? that might be an argument against capitol punishment.

If you can't provide statistics then your argument would have more impact than mine.

thedoc
Posts: 6057
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by thedoc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:14 am

Currently there are 3,035 inmates on death row.

In 2015 there were 35,092 deaths in auto accidents.

Should we ban auto's because they kill more than 10 times as many people per year than are on death row for all time?

And the death row inmates are not all from one year.
Last edited by thedoc on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

thedoc
Posts: 6057
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Killed Anything Today?

Post by thedoc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:19 am

You have to go back to before 1946 to have fewer than 1/10th the number of people killed in auto accidents per year, than are currently on death row.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests