4th PHILOSOPHY NOW FESTIVAL

Philosophy Now meetup groups.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RickLewis

4th PHILOSOPHY NOW FESTIVAL

Post by RickLewis »

The 4th Philosophy Now Festival will be held all day THIS SATURDAY, 20th January 2018, in Conway Hall, Red Lion Square, London.

Full details are here: https://philosophynow.org/festival

If you are in London this Saturday, do drop by. It should be fun!
-1-

Re: 4th PHILOSOPHY NOW FESTIVAL

Post by -1- »

RickLewis wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:25 pm The 4th Philosophy Now Festival will be held all day THIS SATURDAY, 20th January 2018, in Conway Hall, Red Lion Square, London.

Full details are here: https://philosophynow.org/festival

If you are in London this Saturday, do drop by. It should be fun!
Is that London UK or London, ON, CA? Important detail.

God is in the details (*). And you'd better believe that, it coming from an atheist.

(*) Or very close by.
-1-

Re: How was the 4th PHILOSOPHY NOW FESTIVAL?

Post by -1- »

Some follow-up or closure for those hapless ones of the site (including myself) who could not attend would be nice. A description, maybe a few anecdotes, then some anti-dotes to the anecdotes would be nice. And the speeches, the biggest thing that everyone walked away with. Or not. SOMETHING fer cryin' out loud.
dorothea

Post by dorothea »

Maybe they were overwhelmed by the despair of having to live in London and did a Seneca. Should be held in Leeds where we have a real university and no bankers.
-1-

Post by -1- »

dorothea wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:32 pm Maybe they were overwhelmed by the despair of having to live in London and did a Seneca. Should be held in Leeds where we have a real university and no bankers.
No bankers? Bonkers. How do you make money?
RickLewis

Re: How was the 4th PHILOSOPHY NOW FESTIVAL?

Post by RickLewis »

-1- wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:28 pm Some follow-up or closure for those hapless ones of the site (including myself) who could not attend would be nice. A description, maybe a few anecdotes, then some anti-dotes to the anecdotes would be nice. And the speeches, the biggest thing that everyone walked away with. Or not. SOMETHING fer cryin' out loud.
Yes, this has always been a problem with the Philosophy NowFestival - it isn't very inclusive of those living outside the London area! We're working on that. We do have a bit of a step forward this year: my colleague Bora managed to live-steam several of the sessions straight to the Philosophy Now website, so they could be seen from anywhere, in real time. Because this was experimental, we didn't do much to announce this in advance. But next time, we'll let everyone know in plenty of time.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to say that the four events at the Festival that were live-streamed are now in the videos section of the website. The sound quality is a bit ropey in places, but in other places is not bad:

https://philosophynow.org/videos

(These are also in the Philosophy Now Channel on YouTube)
-1-

Post by -1- »

Thanks for your response, Rick Lewis! I hadn't expected that, being a septic skeptic resigned to rejection from all directions.

I'll watch the videos some other time, if my time and interests permit. The balloon debate sounds promising as a fun watch, as well as the interview with Zizek.

I may even make it to the Festival next year, if in the future you give us some more notice than five hours ahead of time. You see, airplane tickets are cheaper if bought way, even months, ahead of time. I am on a shoe-string budget, so every penny saved counts.