I'm here now.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The Wolf

I'm here now.

Post by The Wolf »

This doesn't seem to be a very lively forum however I hope the quality will make up for the lack of quantity.
Just a word I quess about who the hell I am: I live in Sussex, I am some place between youth and middle age, I have a honours degree & a Master Degree in Philosophy, I use to be a militant Atheist now I am Catholic, I love literature, art, history, etc.
Any questions?
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Welcome, The Wolf!

How did you come to choose that name? Wolves don't have a very positive image, so I'm wondering how come you have good feelings about them, or whether you have negative feelings about yourself?

Mick
The Wolf

Post by The Wolf »

I love wolves. I think they are magnificent, intelligent, beautiful, and interesting animals. I'm not suggesting that that is a description of me.
I just chose the name to identify with, and help raise the profile of the Wolf. An animal which is only just coming back from the edge of extinction.
I got interested in wolves, I think, through my interest in Dogs; I'm a real dog lover.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

greetings, i think there is a song i've heard of called "bark at the moon" by acdc, lol, that you might like. and no doubt most people are barking at the moon, why don't they just get on up there and stand on top of it instead:) have a nice day
Captain Ahab

Post by Captain Ahab »

Hi Wolfie, what's Mick going on about, Wolf Mother a great Aussie band, Tom Robbins dedicates a good deal of positive vibe in his books to the wolf. Mick's just been herding sheep too long, what say you Mick?
AArrroooh! 8)
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

wolfie, i forgot to tell you that my dad used to get me beautiful wolf figurines for my birthday and things, because i thought they were so beautiful and magnificent, in fact, when and where i grew up (partially anyways) coyotes were allways howling out next to my window, you might of liked that. I could literally look at and see one standing on a hill in the middle of the night. although i have a collection of wolve figurines,(i am back in here editing my post, something i like to do alot, just ignore please, lol... but i just couldn't tell a lie, i don't have the collection anymore because i was so terrible and lost them a long time ago)(but i guess thats not the point anyway:).. (i'll shut up now)... i usually only like the lone wolf, not the wolf pak, have a nice day
Last edited by bus2bondi on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

I use to be a militant Atheist now I am Catholic
What went wrong?
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Rortabend wrote:
What went wrong?
What went right?

Some convert by way of the intellect (Chesterton); some by the emotions (Francis of Assissi). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... atholicism

Tom
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

Interesting that the wikipedia article notes that some of the people on the list converted on their deathbed. Very smart. They'd obviously been reading their Pascal.
Rortabend

Post by Rortabend »

This is quite amusing...
The deathbed conversion has also been a target of humor. Voltaire, on his own deathbed, was asked by a priest to renounce Satan. Voltaire replied, "This is no time to be making new enemies." Those turned out to be his last words.
The Wolf

Post by The Wolf »

Rortabend wrote:
What went wrong?
LOL Various things; it mostly happened while I was studying for my Masters.
I came to think that Christianity was reasonable and that it was good.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

The Wolf wrote:...
Fair enough, why Catholicism?
a_uk
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Thanks The Wolf

I love wolves. I think they are magnificent, intelligent, beautiful, and interesting animals.
They can be all these things, no doubt. But they are also seen as threatening, which I think may be tied up with 'magnificence' and 'beauty', and explains the fascination some of us have with them.
The Wolf

Post by The Wolf »

mickthinks wrote:Thanks The Wolf

I love wolves. I think they are magnificent, intelligent, beautiful, and interesting animals.
They can be all these things, no doubt. But they are also seen as threatening, which I think may be tied up with 'magnificence' and 'beauty', and explains the fascination some of us have with them.

Sublime? You could say so.
The Wolf

Post by The Wolf »

Arising_uk wrote:
The Wolf wrote:...
Fair enough, why Catholicism?
a_uk
It seems to me that Traditional Catholicism, and Eastern Orthodoxy represent the organic growth of Christianity; they are authentic in a way the Protestantism is not. Protectionism is a modern movement which thinks it is re-creating something atavistic. But like other atavistic ideologies what is creates is something new, it does not re-create the supposed original thing.
I might also be described as a 'smell & bells' man, the traditional forms in Christianity I find of great artistic and spiritual merit. On the other hand white washed walls and awful modern church music doesn't do anything for me.