Greetings Everyone

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Derek

Greetings Everyone

Post by Derek »

Greetings everyone. Having subscribed to the magazine today, I thought I’d also take advantage of the forum. Basically, philosophy has been an interest of mine for about 15 years, although I didn’t realize, until five or so years ago, that most of what I was thinking, the questions I was asking, books I was reading, etc. all had this underlying philosophical element. It was a philosophy of religion class that really caught my attention and gave me some direction. I pursued theology and religious studies for awhile, but, eventually, I settled on philosophy. My primary interests are American philosophy (especially pragmatism and Peirce), metaphysics & epistemology, and, only recently, philosophy of law. My secondary interests would include just about every other area of philosophy – viz., ethics, social and political philosophy, philosophy of science, religion, language, history of philosophy, etc. I hold a BA in philosophy and will be starting an MA in philosophy this coming fall ’08, after which I’ll either apply for a PhD or perhaps law school.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi Derek,
I too like Peirce(although I don't claim to have a great understanding of his thoughts) but just to set the tone of this site, did he not call his thought Pragmaticism to differentiate it from Pragmatism? :)
a_uk
tbieter

PEIRCE

Post by tbieter »

Hi Folks,

I used to subscribe to FIRST THINGS magazine. I didn't know much about Peirce until I read "Discovering the American Aristotle" by Edward T. Oakes. Reading your posts I remembered the article that so impressed me.

You can access the article by searching for "peirce" on http://www.firstthings.com/

ENJOY

Tom
koyaanisqatsi

Post by koyaanisqatsi »

Hi