hi philosophizers!

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Zoe

hi philosophizers!

Post by Zoe »

I am, ahem, older than 17, (30-something), but young at heart. After my childhood in New York City, I lived in France and Guatemala, and settled in sunny California. My (almost completed) dissertation is on complexity theories, climate change, and environmental ethics & justice. I like to work with diverse populations. I have taught ethics courses at Berkeley, and now teach an ethics course in prison. Surprisingly, the percentage of students who would not hook up to Robert Nozick’s “experience machine” seems to be identical amongst both Berkeley undergrads and maximum security prisoners. About 90% of a class will definitively reject the experience machine; 5% will say yes; and 5% will evade the question. I would love to hear about the breakdown in other populations. I have a great life, and no regrets I can think of, at least nothing as bad as Cecelia Sarkozy.

If you are interested in joining an existing continental philosophy discussion group in Berkeley, drop me a line. I’d love to hear as well, if anyone wants to start a more general Philosophy Now discussion group in the Bay Area.
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Hi Zoe

I am most impressed that the experience machine gets such a decisive thumbs-down in California. I was going to say that it must be because real life in California is so good, but probably not in prison. When I offer the machine here in London, many are reluctant to vote either way. Perhaps this is British reticence, or an unphilosophical desire to ignore questions that are plainly of no practical relevance.

I get more definite opposition to a life on prozac, even though that just alters your general mood and leaves your specific experiences both real and, to the normal extent, under your control (so far as I know: I have never tried it).
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

I was going to make a comment on the experience machine, but perhaps it would be better to have a thread on it.
Since you two brought it up, perhaps one of you would like to start the thread?
If you don't want to, then I will.
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

Yes. let's have a thread. Over to you Zoe!