hello there

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Viveka

hello there

Post by Viveka »

I am interested in philosophy as much as anyone else on this forum. I hope to see good posts about philosophy, and hopefully others will enjoy my posts as well.
Harbal

Re: hello there

Post by Harbal »

Viveka wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 pm I am interested in philosophy as much as anyone else on this forum.
Do you have a sound argument to support this statement?
hopefully others will enjoy my posts as well.
We're not here to enjoy ourselves, we're here to plumb the depths of philosophy.
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

Harbal wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:42 pm
Viveka wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 pm I am interested in philosophy as much as anyone else on this forum.
I hope you're joking.
We're not here to enjoy ourselves, we're here to plumb the depths of philosophy.
Well, for me, that is enjoyable.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Viveka wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:36 pm
I hope you're joking.

Harbal is the resident joker.
There are many other jokers here, but they don't know it.
Why not start with a philosophical statement or question to see what reaction you get?
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:38 pm
I hope you're joking.

Why not start with a philosophical statement or question to see what reaction you get?
I have posted one of my works in the Ethical Theory topic. It's Virtue ethics mixed with Buddhism, the Undoing Effect, Positive Psychology, and Jungian Psychology. Jungian psychology is simply there for the metaphor of the Sphinx, while the rest is pretty much about affect and the ability of positively valenced emotions to 'undo' the negative emotions as well as the use of negative emotions at times being necesssary or useful. Simply because they cause suffering is not reason to deny them their outlet, but at the same time I believe they can be transcended as Buddhism states that desire, aversion, and ignorance are the mulakleshas.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Viveka wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:53 pm
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:38 pm
I hope you're joking.

I have posted one of my works in the Ethical Theory topic. It's Virtue ethics mixed with Buddhism, the Undoing Effect, Positive Psychology, and Jungian Psychology. Jungian psychology is simply there for the metaphor of the Sphinx, while the rest is pretty much about affect and the ability of positively valenced emotions to 'undo' the negative emotions as well as the use of negative emotions at times being necesssary or useful. Simply because they cause suffering is not reason to deny them their outlet, but at the same time I believe they can be transcended as Buddhism states that desire, aversion, and ignorance are the mulakleshas.
Sounds more like psychology than philosophy.
Viveka

Post by Viveka »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 am
It's a bit of both. Virtue ethics is not separate from happiness and suffering. Nor is philosophy non-psychological, as in epistemology and axiology, and even some of metaphysics.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Viveka wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:25 am
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 am
It's a bit of both. Virtue ethics is not separate from happiness and suffering. Nor is philosophy non-psychological, as in epistemology and axiology, and even some of metaphysics.
I rotate in and out of these forums, but welcome; I look forward to any future discussions.
Arsen02

Post by Arsen02 »

hi all, my name is Arsen......... I am a new member here....thanks for your post , nice to meet you all here, in this web site........