I've solved metaphysics

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

I've solved metaphysics

Post by Advocate »

I'm not being facetious and my ego is not involved.

Before i go there, let me ask you these questions:

a) What would it mean to have solved metaphysics? (I'll put my own answer in another post)
b) How could such a contention be supported, verified, proven, etc.
c) What are the implications for society?
Last edited by Advocate on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Re: I've solved metaphysics

Post by Harbal »

What's to solve?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:02 pm What's to solve?
I made a different part about what it would/could/should mean. Do you have a more specific challenge? I await the opportunity to address all such challenges.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Advocate wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:51 pm I await the opportunity to address all such challenges.
Okay, tell me what you want to solve and I'll challenge you to solve it.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Advocate wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:31 am I'm not being facetious and my ego is not involved.

Before i go there, let me ask you there questions:

a) What would it mean to have solved metaphysics? (I'll put my own answer in another post)
b) How could such a contention be supported, verified, proven, etc.
c) What are the implications for society?
Did you have a stroke some time in your life?!?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

HexHammer wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:17 pm Did you have a stroke some time in your life?!?
That's not much of a test question, Hex, he probably knows the answer to that already.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

HexHammer wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:17 pm Did you have a stroke some time in your life?!?
Hmm, not that i'm aware of. I claim no special knowledge or insight, if that's what you're getting at, just a special way of putting knowledge together to reach understanding. There's nothing "mystical". Reality is quite simple when you have the correct perspective.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Advocate wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:42 pm
I claim no special knowledge or insight, if that's what you're getting at,
I don't think that's what he's getting at.
ken

Post by ken »

Advocate wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:31 am I'm not being facetious and my ego is not involved.

Before i go there, let me ask you these questions:

What would it 'mean' in relation to what or whom?

It would mean metaphysics has been solved. But what was the supposed problem in or with metaphysics in the first place, which seemingly needed solving anyway?
Advocate wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:31 amb) How could such a contention be supported, verified, proven, etc.
With logical reasoning.
Advocate wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:31 amc) What are the implications for society?
The implications will become obvious after the solution is provided, and understood, which will be a much better society, by the way.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I've dissolved metaphysics. Under my tongue. Sublingually and facetiously.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Harbal wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:46 pm
Advocate wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:42 pm
HexHammer wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:17 pmDid you have a stroke some time in your life?!?
I claim no special knowledge or insight, if that's what you're getting at,
I don't think that's what he's getting at.
I probably is, you know. I have Jill Bolte-Taylor's book "My Stroke of Insight" at home, which details her experience as a neuroscientist analysing a stroke that she had one morning (took her years to recover after clinically dying for a while). Her TED talk was sensational and the video went viral for a while.

As far as I can tell, this is about solving the mind-body problem, finding pretty complete causal links between the patterns of electronic signals and the theatre in our heads. The implications for AI would be huge.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Greta wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:38 am I probably is, you know. I have Jill Bolte-Taylor's book "My Stroke of Insight" at home, which details her experience as a neuroscientist analysing a stroke that she had one morning (took her years to recover after clinically dying for a while). Her TED talk was sensational and the video went viral for a while.

As far as I can tell, this is about solving the mind-body problem, finding pretty complete causal links between the patterns of electronic signals and the theatre in our heads. The implications for AI would be huge.
That's probably my favourite TED talk. As for the mind/body problem, it's simple - two different layers of metaphor for the same thing, one biological, one phenomenological.