Hi from Portugal

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

PauloL

Re: Hi from Portugal

Post by PauloL »

Thanks for the advice, Bill.

Perhaps you'll appreciate that I have adopted your periods elsewhere.

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Yes. I LOVE your formatting.

PauloL

Post by PauloL »

Bill, of course I don't want you to be repetitive, but checking the posts of someone who holds the authorship of almost 3% of the forum is really hard work to check all your experience with drugs. Perhaps I'd end up needing one or entering coma instead.

I found a post of yours that I enjoyed very much:

Philosophy: questions without answers.

Religion: answers without questions.

I think you're about to ask something, but I can tell you that I was under the influence of nicotine & maybe some caffeine at the time I found that post.

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

TBH I try to be under the influence of consciousness altering chemicals almost all the time.

It's important to be off balance or moving from a philosophical perspective.

* Without question, my most important philosophical insights have come when I have been stone cold sober.

Psychotropic drugs may be a useful tool for some individuals for limited amount of time.

RogerFarinha

Post by RogerFarinha »

PauloL wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:32 pm
I hope to participate in many discussions and believe many of you will too in mine, everything in a very constructive way...I'm very open to critics, however acid they are, something I've trained for years, and very hard to attain, I think. But this is the core of freedom of speech...I don't like censorship in any way, unless under strict rules and transparently.

:)
I believe what you are longing for is a social state (of society) where, as I put it in my groundbreaking essay attempt, the conscience of the individual shall finally and definitively be established as the basic social element or component of society, not just in principle but in the popular social consciousness. Hence the true source of all freedom of expression. Tell me what you think of the idea, set out in more detail here:

https://newamericanspring.blogspot.com/ ... anity.html

Roger
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

RogerFarinha wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Roger, I appreciated your article and think that yes, I may be in line with that radical social revolution, something left behind by the French Revolution and American liberal ideals. That's why the so called freedom of speech so much proclaimed in our society is so easily circumvented by intolerant people under support of their own rubbish argumentation in which they have the last word (and action).

RogerFarinha

Post by RogerFarinha »

PauloL wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:09 pm
That's why the so called freedom of speech so much proclaimed in our society is so easily circumvented by intolerant people under support of their own rubbish argumentation in which they have the last word (and action).
The problem with finally embracing this new and bold society is the residue of group mentality, people identifying themselves essentially as members of one or other social group, which was originally constituted under what I term the "survivalist" instinct. I am also experimenting with a science fiction instrument to convey these ideas in a more engaging form. What do you think of this first free writing?

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/697836

Roger
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

RogerFarinha wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:42 pm

I like very much your term "survivalist" instinct and perhaps I'd call those residual people who try to keep as much as possible of residual mentality in a more advanced order survivalists.

Makes me remember Orwell's Animal Farm, translated into Portuguese as The Triumph of the Pigs, a rare case in with the translation wins. Orwell talks about an extreme example, perhaps he was thinking about Stalin's Soviet Union, but in any order there is a phenomenon of Triumph of the Pigs, although small pigs but enough in number to disturb society subtlety.

I like your chapter and will read it in more detail. I don't like to see Zuckerberg among Edison and [Tesla]. Gates is an intelligent and honest person who made a successful revolution in computers, but I'm not sure if he can equate those geniuses. Only Future will tell.

In my opinion, you have revolutionary ideas that I support, but they are complex and maybe they need further maturation before publication to become widely cogent, a request for broad success. Discussing them in this forum is a great way to achieve that.

RogerFarinha

Post by RogerFarinha »

PauloL wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 pm
In my opinion, you have revolutionary ideas that I support, but they are complex and maybe they need further maturation before publication to become widely cogent, a request for broad success. Discussing them in this forum is a great way to achieve that.
I really need a suitable mass publication for my series, along with a good editor. And in terms of my movement at www.newamericanspring.org, I am in definite need of a society or network of people who identifies with my message. I am looking into the Unitarian Universalist church but unfortunately everywhere I go, I come up on the types of individuals who are the first to be vocal and their message is always "who are you to start a movement?"

Why is the fist human impulse always to cut down anyone trying to step forward to do good?
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

RogerFarinha wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:45 pm

Roger, maybe it's too early to call that a movement. So if you omit that, it'll be easier.

PauloL

Post by PauloL »

PauloL wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 pm [...]

I don't like to see Zuckerberg among Edison and [Tesla]. Gates is an intelligent and honest person who made a successful revolution in computers, but I'm not sure if he can equate those geniuses. Only Future will tell.

[...]
Roger's permanence in the forum was sort-lived, but wherever he is and whatever stage his book is now, I hope he now understands what I meant about that Zuckerberg figuring among such historical geniuses.