Introduction

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Introduction

Post by commonsense »

It doesn't matter whether you're an endowed chair at Harvard or a dog walker from Cleveland. Ideas stand or fall based on the merits of their arguments.
Last edited by commonsense on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Introduction

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

commonsense wrote:It doesn't matter whether I am an endowed chair at Harvard or a dog walker from Cleveland. Ideas should stand or fall based on the merits of their arguments.
How democratic of you, but you can count on those who will try to put you in your place.

Welcome aboard.

PhilX
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

commonsense wrote:It doesn't matter whether I am an endowed chair at Harvard or a dog walker from Cleveland. Ideas should stand or fall based on the merits of their arguments.
Yes, but it require a high intellect/rationale to comprehend if something is valid or invalid, something 99.99% of all people lack.

I've been on various philosophy fora an all lacks very basic analytic abilities.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay!
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

commonsense wrote:It doesn't matter whether you're an endowed chair at Harvard or a dog walker from Cleveland. Ideas stand or fall based on the merits of their arguments.
Some endowed chairs also walk dogs.
Arguments do not stand alone on their own merits, as few are truly objective. It's all about context, and contexts can be confused.
If you ask a surgeon how to treat cancer he'll suggest surgery; a radiographer will suggest radiotherapy and a chemist will offer you chemotherapy.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Thank you all for your posts.

As Hobbe's Choice pointed out, ideas are contextual. This leads me to believe there are no absolute truths. Was that the intent or is there something else here?

Please, anyone, reply at your convenience.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

commonsense wrote:Thank you all for your posts.

As Hobbe's Choice pointed out, ideas are contextual. This leads me to believe there are no absolute truths. Was that the intent or is there something else here?

Please, anyone, reply at your convenience.
There is only the 'truth' you choose to ally yourself with at any particular moment. Given everyone's general level of ignorance, as there is always so much we all don't know, that 'truth' can often shift, or expire completely. So yes, there are no absolutes just 'fluid' truths... unless you are religious, then your 'truths' are myths. Who's to say 'myths' lack substance? So much we don't know...

Welcome to the forum.
Bill Wiltrack

FUMF

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.......................................................................................
Dog walker here!