Hi I'm new too.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Hi I'm new too.

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: I didn't say the brain turned to light. You're saying that. That is utter crap.
That is EXACTLY what you are saying, since consciousness is what the brain does, and without the brain there is no consciousness.
So without the star there is no light that can be perceived further away once the star has died? n.
Duh! The the brain does not emit light. Well mine does not, does yours?
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
That is EXACTLY what you are saying, since consciousness is what the brain does, and without the brain there is no consciousness.
So without the star there is no light that can be perceived further away once the star has died? n.
Duh! The the brain does not emit light. Well mine does not, does yours?
Head like a sieve (where the light shines out if the holes)? Or does the top come off to reveal a torch?
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Harbal wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:The thought energy/spirit/life force, that emanates from a concious brain may continue to be perceivable across time and space once the brain has died. THATS WHAT I AM SAYING ABOUT CONSCIOUSNESS. Or rather, that's what I took my friend to mean.
That's a rather fanciful notion, I wonder what would make someone think that's the case.
Is this a serious question? Or are you building up to a punchline?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:The thought energy/spirit/life force, that emanates from a concious brain may continue to be perceivable across time and space once the brain has died. THATS WHAT I AM SAYING ABOUT CONSCIOUSNESS. Or rather, that's what I took my friend to mean.
That's a rather fanciful notion, I wonder what would make someone think that's the case.
Some of The ancient Greek philosophers believed that a light or energy was projected from the mind to illuminate the world so that humans can see. Someone who has not progressed beyond the ancient Greek philosophers might still believe this.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Harbal wrote:
No need for a punchline, the idea is funny enough as it is.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

thedoc wrote:
Harbal wrote:
Some of The ancient Greek philosophers believed that a light or energy was projected from the mind to illuminate the world so that humans can see. Someone who has not progressed beyond the ancient Greek philosophers might still believe this.
I think they were being poetic in the absence of anything else to say on what might happen after life. I rather liked it.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

thedoc wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
Harbal wrote: That's a rather fanciful notion, I wonder what would make someone think that's the case.
No need for a punchline, the idea is funny enough as it is.
Not as ridiculous as concepts of Heaven and Hell, with their winged angels or cloven footed demons... and how many millions of people believe in that?! Now that is a joke.

Oh, Happy Easter, by the way!

(Or should that be Happy Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastra, Eastur... or even Happy Ishtar, as some people claim the date for?)
Last edited by ForCruxSake on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

ForCruxSake wrote: Not as ridiculous as concepts of Heaven and Hell, with their winged angels or cloven footed demons... and how many millions of people believe in that?! Now that is a joke.
So what's the point of replacing it with another one?
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Harbal wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: Not as ridiculous as concepts of Heaven and Hell, with their winged angels or cloven footed demons... and how many millions of people believe in that?! Now that is a joke.
Because in the absence of evidenced truth, there's still room for ideas, however palpable or unpalatable. The joy of being human, is that you can choose an idea based simply on its beauty and relevance to you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

ForCruxSake wrote: The joy of being human, is that you can choose an idea based simply on its beauty and relevance to you.
I wish I could find joy as easily as you seem to be able to.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Harbal wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: The joy of being human, is that you can choose an idea based simply on its beauty and relevance to you.
I wish I could find joy as easily as you seem to be able to.
That may explain why you are so unhappy, then. But trolling people, in order to humiliate them, online may not be the answer. It may only add to your misery.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

ForCruxSake wrote:That may explain why you are so unhappy,
You have no idea, I cry myself to sleep every night.
then. But trolling people, in order to humiliate them, online may not be the answer.
No, it's not the answer but it does help a little.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Harbal wrote:
It's less of a joke than you might think, Harbal. Whatever the truth about consciousness, it's likely to be some version of one of two possibilities. Either the mind is something separate from the physical universe, in which case, all bets are off and you can make up any old rubbish, while you wait for the gods to reveal themselves. On the other hand, it is entirely possible that consciousness is a product of the 'natural' world and that it is subject to the same rules as everything else. If that's the case, then it is conceivable that your 'mind' is the field associated with the material state of your brain. There are some very sophisticated machines that image the electric and magnetic fields generated by brain activity. The results are crude and utterly inconclusive, but even though they are incredibly weak, they are still fields and like all fields they propagate through space, more or less indefinitely; even after the object responsible for the field has broken or blown up, as in the case of a light bulb or star. Or died which is what happens to brains.
ForCruxSake wrote:Because in the absence of evidenced truth, there's still room for ideas, however palpable or unpalatable. The joy of being human, is that you can choose an idea based simply on its beauty and relevance to you.
True enough. If it pleases you to think your consciousness survives physical death, then physics doesn't rule it out.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

uwot wrote: True enough. If it pleases you to think your consciousness survives physical death, then physics doesn't rule it out.
The process of consciousness may well produce something that is emitted beyond the source of it's creation but whether or not it remains as something that could be called consciousness can only be imaginatively speculated about. If it persists as some form of energy, that does not mean it qualifies as "consciousness". Consciousness contains self awareness, who or what would be aware? Who or what is currently experiencing the consciousness that I produced last week?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Harbal wrote:The process of consciousness may well produce something that is emitted beyond the source of it's creation but whether or not it remains as something that could be called consciousness can only be imaginatively speculated about.
Personally, I think it's unlikely, but you never know.
Harbal wrote:If it persists as some form of energy, that does not mean it qualifies as "consciousness".
True.
Harbal wrote:Consciousness contains self awareness, who or what would be aware?
Harbal, you are taking this seriously. Are you ill?
Harbal wrote:Who or what is currently experiencing the consciousness that I produced last week?
All the other week old consciousnesses 'you' are mingling with, up in 'heaven', somewhere outside the heliosphere.

Please note: I will not be defending this hypothesis with my customary rigour and vigour.