This is me

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

ruthbreznay

This is me

Post by ruthbreznay »

I am a free spirit, unconventional, friendly,open-minded, compassionate,adventurous and easy going. Apart from that also quite angry, resentful, depressed and constantly asking myself the meaning of life (conclusion: it is pointless - please contradict me ! ). Such are the contradictions in the human condition! In my younger years, I hitch-hiked all around Europe in true drop-out Hippie-Style.Now I am more settled, but still like to backpack around the world. As I live in London, I prefer spending time with Mother Nature when I am travelling.

I love all animals without exeption,including creepy crawlies. I am vegetarian going onto vegan, but won't shuff (spelling???) it down your throat. My philosophy in life is live and let live a long a it hurts no one else; treat others with kindness; Seize the day; Live your dream and respect this beautiful planet with all it's creatures large and small.

I have an interest in yoga, meditation and Buddhism, spirituality in general, shamanism, paganism, psychology, anthropology, philosophy, and I like physical activity (cycling, walking, going to the gym, swimming etc). I also read a lot ( mainly classical literature) and do enjoy a good movie. I am also intrigued by tattoos, and their history and meanings in different cultures.
uwot

Re: This is me

Post by uwot »

Aw. No one's said hello. Hello Ruth. Welcome to the madhouse.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ruthbreznay wrote:I am a free spirit, unconventional, friendly,open-minded,.
I doubt that very much. Such self aggrandising epithets rarely survive the scrutiny of those in this Forum.
Should you continue to participate I shall point out your oh too conventional ideas, your mental chains, your meanness and your closed-mind.
I can already see the usual traditional mother-nature/hippie worn out old nutshell of a closed mind right here.
Take the Pepsi challenge!

But hello and welcome anyway!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

What is a 'free spirit'?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:What is a 'free spirit'?
have a drink on me?

-Imp
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ruthbreznay wrote:I am a free spirit, unconventional, friendly,open-minded,.
I doubt that very much. Such self aggrandising epithets rarely survive the scrutiny of those in this Forum."
"I am God's chosen"
"I'm the leader of the free world."
"I work in the City."
"Should you continue to participate I shall point out your oh too conventional ideas, your mental chains, your meanness and your closed-mind."
- are better examples of self-aggrandising statements. When did 'free spirit', 'unconventional', 'friendly' and 'open-minded' become terms that suggest such self-importance?
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Should you continue to participate I shall point out your oh too conventional ideas, your mental chains, your meanness and your closed-mind.
I can already see the usual traditional mother-nature/hippie worn out old nutshell of a closed mind right here.
And so welcome, Ruth. With that out of the way and without wishing to frighten you off...

...If you've ever seen 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail', you'll remember the pugnacious Black Knight, whose limbless stump, would not accept defeat from King Arthur, but instead taunted him by threatening to continue the fight by biting him to death (or somesuch). There's a few Black Knights here. It's a very masculine environment in which the discursive tone can be usurped by 'fist-to-face' argument.... but there's also some very balanced, reasonable people, and much humour, that makes it worthwhile poking your head round the door.

It's true, Hobbes', will chase you through the forum with a pointed stick, poking holes in your arguments (and psyche, if you're made of less sturdy stuff). Occasionally he may stop to prop himself up on it, and ponder, and if you really impress him you might see a sub-textual smile appear. He's fierce, and he's smart, but he's not invincible.

I'm pretty new here myself. I've read more than I've written and my head often wishes it could poke itself round the door more often. Enjoy. It's a learning experience, not simply because of the output of the collective intelligence you'll find here, but because of how you will have to learn to communicate to survive!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

99 per cent of the people who first appear in 'Introduce yourself' are never heard from again. It's the black hole of the forum.
ruthbreznay

Post by ruthbreznay »

Oh, I thought this is a forum to discuss interesting topics in a constructive manner, and instead I find a bunch of angry, mean-spirited souls who just wait to attack unsuspecting victims in the most aggressive manner. I'm more than open to constructive criticism, but not in this tone of voice. So therefore, addios amigos, have a good time shredding each other to bits!
ruthbreznay

Post by ruthbreznay »

PS. No wonder there is a black hole of newcomers!
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ruthbreznay wrote:Oh, I thought this is a forum to discuss interesting topics in a constructive manner, and instead I find a bunch of angry, mean-spirited souls who just wait to attack unsuspecting victims in the most aggressive manner. I'm more than open to constructive criticism, but not in this tone of voice. So therefore, addios amigos, have a good time shredding each other to bits!

BLACK KNIGHT
The Black Knight always triumphs. Have at you!

ARTHUR takes his last leg off. The BLACK KNIGHT's body lands upright.

BLACK KNIGHT
All right, we'll call it a draw.

ARTHUR
Come, Patsy.

ARTHUR and PATSY start to cross the bridge.

BLACK KNIGHT
Running away eh? You yellow bastard, Come back here and take
what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ruthbreznay wrote:PS. No wonder there is a black hole of newcomers!
Some leave because of nutters, others because they can't stand the mirror of philosophy that unpacks their preconceptions.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Some leave because of nutters, others because they can't stand the mirror of philosophy that unpacks their preconceptions.
... but most leave because of the display of an overtly hostile attitude that has little to do with philosophy, the sheer bloody mindedness. :roll:
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

ruthbreznay wrote:I am a free spirit, unconventional, friendly,open-minded, compassionate,adventurous and easy going. Apart from that also quite angry, resentful, depressed and constantly asking myself the meaning of life (conclusion: it is pointless - please contradict me ! ). Such are the contradictions in the human condition! In my younger years, I hitch-hiked all around Europe in true drop-out Hippie-Style.Now I am more settled, but still like to backpack around the world. As I live in London, I prefer spending time with Mother Nature when I am travelling.

I love all animals without exeption,including creepy crawlies. I am vegetarian going onto vegan, but won't shuff (spelling???) it down your throat. My philosophy in life is live and let live a long a it hurts no one else; treat others with kindness; Seize the day; Live your dream and respect this beautiful planet with all it's creatures large and small.

I have an interest in yoga, meditation and Buddhism, spirituality in general, shamanism, paganism, psychology, anthropology, philosophy, and I like physical activity (cycling, walking, going to the gym, swimming etc). I also read a lot ( mainly classical literature) and do enjoy a good movie. I am also intrigued by tattoos, and their history and meanings in different cultures.
Hi. I'm an imprisoned consciousness in a body. I eat meat. Nay, I love eating meat. Only criminals get tattoos. I'm not responsible for other animals' plights; they're on their own. Oh, and I generally hate bugs.... Welcome.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
... but most leave because of the display of an overtly hostile attitude that has little to do with philosophy, the sheer bloody mindedness. :roll:
Here's what I actually said, not what you think I said;

I doubt that very much. Such self aggrandising epithets rarely survive the scrutiny of those in this Forum.
Should you continue to participate I shall point out your oh too conventional ideas, your mental chains, your meanness and your closed-mind.

But hello and welcome anyway!

There is not ONE gramme of "hostility" in this.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Impenitent wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:What is a 'free spirit'?
have a drink on me?

-Imp
You want it slopped on your lap, Imp?