:lol:
henry quirk

yeah, i know

Post by henry quirk »

:wink:
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: This is me

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

For the Americans on here. You really should be learning this sort of thing at school. Some insects are bugs, for example beetles. 'Bugs' are only one particular group of insects. Using 'bug' to describe all insects in general is ignorant and extremely irritating, and changing the beautiful ladybird to 'ladyBUG' is unforgivable. Perhaps Americans are more prone than most to copy and adopt stupid ideas from each other. Unfortunately idiocy is contagious, and before the internet other countries had a reasonable level of immunity.
Btw, 'loan' is a noun, not a verb.
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Some leave because of nutters, others because they can't stand the mirror of philosophy that unpacks their preconceptions.
... but most leave because of the display of an overtly hostile attitude that has little to do with philosophy, the sheer bloody mindedness. :roll:
Here's what I actually said, not what you think I said;

I doubt that very much. Such self aggrandising epithets rarely survive the scrutiny of those in this Forum.
Should you continue to participate I shall point out your oh too conventional ideas, your mental chains, your meanness and your closed-mind.
I can already see the usual traditional mother-nature/hippie worn out old nutshell of a closed mind right here.
Take the Pepsi challenge!

But hello and welcome anyway!

There is not ONE gramme of "hostility" in this.
I was only asking a question. I've often wondered what people mean when they describe themselves as a 'free spirit'.
Perhaps the satirical intent of your comment was a little obscure for most?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: ... but most leave because of the display of an overtly hostile attitude that has little to do with philosophy, the sheer bloody mindedness. :roll:

I doubt that very much. Such self aggrandising epithets rarely survive the scrutiny of those in this Forum.
Should you continue to participate I shall point out your oh too conventional ideas, your mental chains, your meanness and your closed-mind.
I can already see the usual traditional mother-nature/hippie worn out old nutshell of a closed mind right here.

I was only asking a question. I've often wondered what people mean when they describe themselves as a 'free spirit'.
Are we being nice to each other now?
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

Are we being nice to each other now?
I was only saying what I think. That's just my nature, and the PC free speech haters and other Nazis haven't quite managed to put a strait jacket on the internet (yet). But that will come.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Btw, 'loan' is a noun, not a verb.
"Loan" can be both, in English.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/loan

From the article,

loan vs. lend
The verb loan is one of the words English settlers brought to America and continued to use after it had died out in Britain. Its use was soon noticed by British visitors and somewhat later by the New England literati, who considered it a bit provincial. It was flatly declared wrong in 1870 by a popular commentator, who based his objection on etymology. A later scholar showed that the commentator was ignorant of Old English and thus unsound in his objection, but by then it was too late, as the condemnation had been picked up by many other commentators. Although a surprising number of critics still voice objections, loan is entirely standard as a verb. You should note that it is used only literally; lend is the verb used for figurative expressions, such as “lending a hand” or “lending enchantment.”
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
Do you also say 'wherefore art thou'? And those crappy online 'dictionaries' only pander to the US. Most of them are American sites. There is a perfectly good word to use when you give someone something that you want back. LEND. No doubt the past participle confused the poor dears so they just added 'ed' to the noun. Plus, 'loan' just sounds bloody stupid when used as a verb.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc wrote:
Do you also say 'wherefore art thou'? And those crappy online 'dictionaries' only pander to the US. Most of them are American sites. There is a perfectly good word to use when you give someone something that you want back. LEND. No doubt the past participle confused the poor dears so they just added 'ed' to the noun. There is something very strange and disturbing at foot.
I am very sorry that you live in one of the sub-standard countries of the world and not in America, the best country there is.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Do you also say 'wherefore art thou'? And those crappy online 'dictionaries' only pander to the US. Most of them are American sites. There is a perfectly good word to use when you give someone something that you want back. LEND. No doubt the past participle confused the poor dears so they just added 'ed' to the noun. There is something very strange and disturbing at foot.
I am very sorry that you live in one of the sub-standard countries of the world and not in America, the best country there is.
It doesn't really count when you say it yourself. You might as well say 'I'm the handsomest man in the world'. If I could choose anywhere in the world to live, the US would be one notch above Somalia on the list.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Do you also say 'wherefore art thou'? And those crappy online 'dictionaries' only pander to the US. Most of them are American sites. There is a perfectly good word to use when you give someone something that you want back. LEND. No doubt the past participle confused the poor dears so they just added 'ed' to the noun. There is something very strange and disturbing at foot.
It doesn't really count when you say it yourself. You might as well say 'I'm the handsomest man in the world'. If I could choose anywhere in the world to live, the US would be one notch above Somalia on the list.
Then if you move to America, you would be moving up.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Are we being nice to each other now?
Okay, but this is your last chance.