Prospective PhD Student

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Prospective PhD Student

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

v83 wrote:Hi,

Good to meet some other philosophers. I've just finished studying my MA in Philosophy and am hoping to go on to study the subject at PhD level. Obviously this requires a research proposal - two areas of interest are metaphysics and philosophy of mind, but I'm really not sure how to go about researching and deciding on a topic. It just seems like looking for a needle in a haystack! Is it just a case of doing stacks of reading until an idea just "clicks"? Has anyone else completed a philosophy PhD and would recommend it? Or has any advice about how to go about researching a proposed topic?

Thanks so much
V83
Good luck with all that, sadly I don't think this Forum will furnish the sort of advice you want.
You'll have to fend off a clutch of religious nutters, one or two clowns and the odd fascist, but as for anyone with actual knowledge of a formal study of philosophy you might want to keep trying elsewhere.
Disappointing, I know, but true.

Have you tried https://philpapers.org ?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:You'll have to fend off a clutch of religious nutters, one or two clowns and the odd fascist...
True dat.
Hobbes' Choice wrote:...but as for anyone with actual knowledge of a formal study of philosophy you might want to keep trying elsewhere.
What I find odd is that anyone who has just finished an MA, should think that we are better qualified to advise on a doctoral than any of the staff that recently taught them. If I have any advice, it is that whatever you choose for your thesis, don't do it at the Mickey Mouse joint that gave you an MA.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

uwot wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:You'll have to fend off a clutch of religious nutters, one or two clowns and the odd fascist...
True dat.
Hobbes' Choice wrote:...but as for anyone with actual knowledge of a formal study of philosophy you might want to keep trying elsewhere.
What I find odd is that anyone who has just finished an MA, should think that we are better qualified to advise on a doctoral than any of the staff that recently taught them. If I have any advice, it is that whatever you choose for your thesis, don't do it at the Mickey Mouse joint that gave you an MA.
Could not agree more.
Did he say where he got the MA?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Did he say where he got the MA?
I dunno. Somewhere that finishes a Masters course half way through the academic year.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

v83 wrote: I'm really not sure how to go about researching and deciding on a topic.
Thanks so much
V83
Belinda responded:
Choose your criterion.

1. God told me what to write about.

2. I am mostly interested in (whatever)

3. Present social needs are such that I ought to write about (whatever)

4. I will serve my own needs best if I write what might be accepted by a publisher.

5. I will suck up to Professor X and write about her special interest and quote her a lot.
For heaven's sake, man, don't take option 3, 4 or 5. You won't find it motivating that "someone else" needs this done, whether it's a publisher, a professor or "social needs" more generally. You've got to have your own passion for what you decide to do, and be willing to keep doing it when you're tired, when you're offered distractions, when you've been at it a long time, and so on. Pleasing others just isn't sufficiently motivating. Even "Getting the PhD after my name" isn't sufficiently motivating, judging by the numbers who fail at doing just that. The desire to teach or be an expert, for its own sake, that won't get you through. And financial need to get through? Well, if that would do it, then there would be a whole lot more completed doctorates around.

You've got to want it, and you've got to want it for reasons you really, really believe in. You have to know your subject would be worth studying even if you weren't in a program. Make it your own interests, or a "high calling" of some kind. (#1, 2).

Those options will get you through; little else will.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Immanuel Can wrote:
Belinda wrote: Choose your criterion.

1. God told me what to write about.

2. I am mostly interested in (whatever)

3. Present social needs are such that I ought to write about (whatever)

4. I will serve my own needs best if I write what might be accepted by a publisher.

5. I will suck up to Professor X and write about her special interest and quote her a lot.
For heaven's sake, man, don't take option 3, 4 or 5. You won't find it motivating that "someone else" needs this done, whether it's a publisher, a professor or "social needs" more generally.

Well, if you are the type of Christian that Mr Can is, of course the idea that your work might benefit society will be of no interest to you.
Immanuel Can wrote:Make it your own interests, or a "high calling" of some kind. (#1, 2).
I have no idea whether god is likely to give you a suggestion, but if it does, you should explore the possibility that you have lost your mind.
Immanuel Can wrote:Those options will get you through; little else will.
Oh, you have some experience, Mr Can? Should I address you as Dr?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

uwot wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Did he say where he got the MA?
I dunno. Somewhere that finishes a Masters course half way through the academic year.
Part-timer?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: You'll have to fend off a clutch of religious nutters, one or two clowns and the odd fascist,
You forgot to warn him about the political correctness squad. He doesn't want to fall foul of Constable Hobbes, the resident PC. PC.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: You'll have to fend off a clutch of religious nutters, one or two clowns and the odd fascist,
You forgot to warn him about the political correctness squad. He doesn't want to fall foul of Constable Hobbes, the resident PC. PC.
I'm about as far from PC has you can get.
Do you think there is a category to which you belong that I could warn his of?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I assumed I was among the "one or two clowns".
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I assumed I was among the "one or two clowns".
At least you ain't completely stupid.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: At least you ain't completely stupid.
Why thank you, Hobbes, neither are you.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Harbal wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: At least you ain't completely stupid.
Why thank you, Hobbes, neither are you.
Sorry I already have a girlfriend.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Part-timer?
Even part-timers generally hand their theses in in September. Special dispensation perhaps. Only v83 knows.
v83

Post by v83 »

Immanuel Can wrote:
v83 wrote:So from my understanding, the idea is to narrow it down to one particular theory or argument relating to consciousness and scrutinise and analyse that, as opposed to focusing on various aspects? It's a shame as the latter would be more interesting.
I'd say that the first thing you need is a "helicopter view" of the field...so whatever the most important writers have recently said about, say, consciousness, if that's what you are interested in. Read, read, read. See what terms they use (like "the Hard Problem," for example, or "the Mind-Brain Issue," and what theories they always seem to refer to in making their points, like Nagel or Ryle, or whomever). Read those authors whose stuff keeps appearing, and highlight / make notes in your copies (this will help you a great deal later). As you continue to read, you'll notice a particular sub-problem that perhaps few of them are fully pursuing, or that they are pursuing it without solving it. If it interests you, start focusing down on that particular sub-problem.

The key is not to try to "solve the whole field." That would not only be the work of a lifetime, it may well be far too big for any single lifetime. Instead, be happy to make any significant progress on one sub-area or lesser question, since that will be doable in the length you need. Then spend the rest of your life working on the rest, but DON'T DO IT NOW. :shock:

Yes, solving all the world's problems would be more interesting. But if you try, I assure you that all you'll do is that you'll end up frustrating your own hopes of getting through your thesis, and you'll join the large number of people who end up quitting or going "ABD" for the rest of life. Working on that "more interesting" kind of problem is your future; the now is getting a smaller job done.

Trust me, and you'll get through this. Go the other way and...well, it never works.

Best wishes for every success. Just remember, some people DO get through. :D Stay positive.
Great advice, much appreciated. *Cracks knuckles, opens first book*