Hello from Argentina

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FCacciola

Hello from Argentina

Post by FCacciola »

Hi people.

(I'm migrating from another forum I tried, but the 20-moderated posts rule--at 5-10 days delay per post--drove me off)

I'm a mid-aged computer programmer (for most of my life). I Studied Biochemistry for 5 years, but dropped when I realized I was not going to spend my life doing the classic actual job a biochemist (blood-tests, etc...) and I was on the wrong University for serious scientific research :)

My interest usually lies in the intersection of philosophy, science, engineering and spiritualism.

And here is one more thing I think I should share with you, since I'm completely biased in my opinions and views:

I've been raised within the doctrines of a particular spiritualist church. In my youth, I used to think that this doctrine got it mostly right, totally unlike mainstream religions (in fact, the doctrine considers itself to be a sort of science and not a religion at all). As I grew older I realized that it actually is a religion and there is nothing scientific about it. So, though once I would even "teach" on our church, now I broke apart (and my children for instance know about it but as a personal belief system.. I would never take them to the church these days).

On the other hand, the *contents* of the belief system of that church has always been something that makes a lot of sense, perhaps for being less than 100 years old, and intentionally compatible with science. Yet, on the other hand, it still nothing but a belief system, which at most, might be taken as a provisional, extremely raw, starting point for real science.

However, I feel that the effective utility of the belief system as a provisional starting point for scientific research requires an epistemological exploration of this system, hence, my interest in epistemology.

My conversations here will all circle around that.

Best