New here.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: New here.

Post by Lacewing »

Greta wrote:you really should cut Dalek some slack
Normally, Greta, I totally agree with your perspective. But I showed support to Dalek repeatedly, and I was blown off and insulted. Sure, I could have simply walked away upon seeing signs of volatility -- but do we ever do that here? I wanted to face the situation and describe to Dalek what I was seeing in his extreme behavior. Clearly this is not a Support forum, and if he doesn't feel stable enough to deal with the USUAL VARYING and sometimes sharp feedback here, it's sort of his responsibility to make the right call for himself.

I do not mean to be insensitive. From my perspective, I was suddenly attacked out of nowhere. I tried to resolve it and reassure him which WAS a form of cutting him some slack, but he refused. His attacking nature is not new, and I think it remains his responsibility, regardless of his reasons. Who ELSE can control it? That's just how I view it. I would expect the same of myself!

I still wish Dalek the best.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dalek has his regular hissy-fits. I hope he comes back. If anything, he's proof that gender and sexuality count for nothing on here. The fact that he actually likes IC is more disturbing to me than anything else.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Lacewing wrote:
Normally, Greta, I totally agree with your perspective. But I showed support to Dalek repeatedly, and I was blown off and insulted. Sure, I could have simply walked away upon seeing signs of volatility -- but do we ever do that here?
Indeed. I was there and saw it :)

Still, the extreme vulnerability of Dalek's situation ... it's kind of like kicking a puppy because it's scared and snappy. I agree that this particular puppy is big, with sharp teeth and a short fuse, but in a highly vulnerable situation nonetheless. Nor would I expect someone in a major stress zone to necessarily make good calls as to when to speak or back off. That's ideally up to those who are in less stressful circumstances (assumption?).

I laughed out loud at "I could have simply walked away upon seeing signs of volatility -- but do we ever do that here". This forum needs a great big hookah bowl full of sativa. Desperately. Maybe fed on a drip. The freakout level at this place is bizarre - but strangely compelling :lol: . Is it just that there's a lot of Americans here?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Greta wrote:
Lacewing wrote:
Normally, Greta, I totally agree with your perspective. But I showed support to Dalek repeatedly, and I was blown off and insulted. Sure, I could have simply walked away upon seeing signs of volatility -- but do we ever do that here?
Indeed. I was there and saw it :)

Still, the extreme vulnerability of Dalek's situation ... it's kind of like kicking a puppy because it's scared and snappy. I agree that this particular puppy is big, with sharp teeth and a short fuse, but in a highly vulnerable situation nonetheless. Nor would I expect someone in a major stress zone to necessarily make good calls as to when to speak or back off. That's ideally up to those who are in less stressful circumstances (assumption?).

I laughed out loud at "I could have simply walked away upon seeing signs of volatility -- but do we ever do that here". This forum needs a great big hookah bowl full of sativa. Desperately. Maybe fed on a drip. The freakout level at this place is bizarre - but strangely compelling :lol: . Is it just that there's a lot of Americans here?
Well I learnt something anyway. Apparently in the transgender world, 'cisgenders' are regarded with suspicion and contempt. The world really has gone PC mad.
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:The world really has gone PC mad.
Loosen up, Veg :lol: At this rate you'll soon be shouting at whippersnappers to get off your lawn and taking readings of the speed of passing cars.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Greta wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:The world really has gone PC mad.
Loosen up, Veg :lol: At this rate you'll soon be shouting at whippersnappers to get off your lawn and taking readings of the speed of passing cars.
Do you mean that she doesn't already? :lol:
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:Well I learnt something anyway. Apparently in the transgender world, 'cisgenders' are regarded with suspicion and contempt. The world really has gone PC mad.
Well, I learnt me a new word. Cisgender? Geeze. I’ve somewhat gleaned a meaning from context and could look it up but I suspect the concept won’t outweigh the luxury of innocent ignorance prolonged for just awhile longer, considering that proper usage of both gender and sex was fouled up awhile back when the whole thing started to blur in the effort to differentiate ever finer, likely an influence of lots of lawyers with their definitions of is and such.
fiveredapples

Post by fiveredapples »

Welcome, Interjectivist,

Good luck with clarity on philosophy of mind questions. I have a slight interest myself, as well as a bachelor's in philosophy, but I've all but given up philosophy of mind. I think Searle is right: we won't get further in philosophy until we get further in laboratories. That's my lazy attitude at least. Again, welcome to the forum. This place needs real philosophy people.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

fiveredapples wrote:This place needs real philosophy people.
Well "this place" is certainly no better for your presence so either that is a false premise or you aint no philosophy person (double negative intentional for effect).
fiveredapples

Post by fiveredapples »

Why are you following me around like I took your virginity?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

fiveredapples wrote:Why are you following me around like I took your virginity?
I had a prolific patch, it wasn't just you. I'll probably ignore you for a few days now because that's what I'm like.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

fiveredapples wrote:Why are you following me around like I took your virginity?
I think it's Harbal's special brand of torture.

PhilX
fiveredapples

Post by fiveredapples »

He secretly admires me and is looking for validation.