New here.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Interjectivist

New here.

Post by Interjectivist »

I was a philosophy major as an undergraduate. But I taught mathematics in my working life. Now I make a garden, take walks with my dogs, enjoy reading and keep coming back to the philosophy of consciousness as a puzzle I can't put down. My real first name is Mark and I'm fine with going by that as well. I chose the user-name Interjectivist in honor of a friend's use of the term in another forum.

The first time I heard the term used it was to describe phenomena which essentially exist subjectively, but which is experienced by the subject as a brute fact of that subjective experience, not their deliberate invention. In that sense such phenomena are objective-like in being fairly immutable. Some subjective features may be consistent across all subjects as such or across subjects within a particular cultural community. Anyhow this is central to what interests me philosophically these days.
Lacewing

Re: New here.

Post by Lacewing »

I hope you have fun here. It's a good place for exploring and learning things about yourself and others -- perhaps to your horror and amusement -- if you don't take any of it too personally or seriously. Even though it tends to waver wildly between being a snakepit and a playpen, I do believe we manage to evolve and expand our thinking... whether or not we admit it. Perhaps chaos is currently the fastest way to shake us loose of the understandings we cling to? If it remains comfortable, we just hang out and embellish on our position.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Interjectivist

Post by Interjectivist »

Thank you Lacewing and TSBU for the welcome. I don't mind disagreement. In the forum where I've been posting philosophy often comes in for a hard time from science or politically inclined folks. It'll be nice just not having to defend it. I haven't navigated this format in a while I'll have to see if I can track your two intro's down and find out something about the folks I'm talking with.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Interjectivist wrote:I was a philosophy major as an undergraduate.
A major in love of wisdom, I'm soo looking forward to see what you got!
Interjectivist

Post by Interjectivist »

Hello Hexhammer. One thing I don't have is any intrigue about the forms of logical arguments or the classification of common fallacies. Frankly I prefer communication that is as free of jargon as humanly possible. Plain speech is usually enough to say anything worthwhile.

My biggest interest is consciousness and philosophy of the mind, but various other questions are of some interest as well. How about you, Hexhammer?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Interjectivist wrote:Hello Hexhammer. One thing I don't have is any intrigue about the forms of logical arguments or the classification of common fallacies. Frankly I prefer communication that is as free of jargon as humanly possible. Plain speech is usually enough to say anything worthwhile.

My biggest interest is consciousness and philosophy of the mind, but various other questions are of some interest as well. How about you, Hexhammer?
Most people hate me on various fora, because I think people let out nothing but nonsense and babble. I like to burst bubbles and put things into context and arrive that they're merely doing cozy chat, not philosophy since what they say has no relevance.

Now you might think I'm delusional when I have no education and only bad grades in school, but if you have seen "Rain Man" with Dustin Hoffman, he's good at calculating things, but when it comes to rationale "if you have 1 dollar and spend 50 cents, how much do you have left?" .."about 70 cents".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioMspoSNgmw

I believe I have extremely high rationale, I've waltzes into a newspaper found over 100 waste hours per sales person with a staff over 150, reduced several tasks with 90%+++ time, that's highly educated people that couldn't do it, so I see 99% people here lacking mental aptitude, and can only perform parrot speeches.
Interjectivist

Post by Interjectivist »

Seriously? You seem to have something of an attitude problem. I'm surprised you actually find people who will try to convince you of their intellectual worthiness. Personally I'm not interested in anyone's evaluation, are you?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

HexHammer wrote:Most people hate me on various fora, because I think people let out nothing but nonsense and babble.
Of course that's how you would spin it to avoid noticing that you are the source of the nonsense and babble in your interactions.
HexHammer wrote:I like to burst bubbles and put things into context
You're playing in your own bubbles, Hex... and you're not putting anything into context for anyone else.
HexHammer wrote:they're merely doing cozy chat
You're jealous that nobody wants to talk with you.
HexHammer wrote:not philosophy since what they say has no relevance.
As if YOU are a better judge of that than everyone else. :lol:
HexHammer wrote:Now you might think I'm delusional
Yes.
HexHammer wrote:when I have no education and only bad grades in school
No, that's not the reason.
HexHammer wrote:I believe I have extremely high rationale
THIS (among other things) is what makes you seem delusional. :lol:
HexHammer wrote:found over 100 waste hours per sales person with a staff over 150, reduced several tasks with 90%+++ time, that's highly educated people that couldn't do it
We've heard this stupid story FAR TOO MANY times. Get over it. What are you accomplishing NOW?
HexHammer wrote:so I see 99% people here lacking mental aptitude, and can only perform parrot speeches.
And yet you are STICKING AROUND HERE... repeating yourself, and projecting your OWN LACK onto everyone else.
Interjectivist

Post by Interjectivist »

Wow, Lacewing. Is anyone actually ever banned around here? That guy seems crazy as crap.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Interjectivist wrote:Wow, Lacewing. Is anyone actually ever banned around here? That guy seems crazy as crap.
Very rarely but it has happened a few times, it's the only forum that really allows freedom of speech.

Don't mind Lacewing just put him on ignore (tho he postulates to be a woman)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

HexHammer wrote:
Interjectivist wrote:Wow, Lacewing. Is anyone actually ever banned around here? That guy seems crazy as crap.
Very rarely but it has happened a few times, it's the only forum that really allows freedom of speech.

Don't mind Lacewing just put him on ignore (tho he postulates to be a woman)
:lol:

Hex, why are you the only one who refuses to accept that I'm a woman? Does it bother you to think that a woman is calling you out on your shit and laughing openly about it? Nevermind... don't answer... because it's sure to be a stupid answer.

Interjectivist, there are some real nutjobs on this forum... but it takes a LOT to get banned here. Yes, Hex is crazy as crap... and I'm glad you can spot that right away. Your good instincts will quickly give you insights into everyone else. :)
Interjectivist

Post by Interjectivist »

Thank you. And lest there be any doubt, I'll accept your expertise mam in determining your gender over that of the guy who wants to grade everyone else's intelligence. Amazing to think he can't tell what a fool's mission that really would be.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Interjectivist wrote:Thank you. And lest there be any doubt, I'll accept your expertise mam in determining your gender over that of the guy who wants to grade everyone else's intelligence. Amazing to think he can't tell what a fool's mission that really would be.
Hello Interjectivist, the longer you are here the more you will come to know what some of the posters are like, I see you've made a good start.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

TSBU wrote:Image
This just about sums up the US