Introduction to myself

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

frayman

Introduction to myself

Post by frayman »

Hi there.
I am normally more the science guy. Studying physics in the 5. Semester. But I always had interest in philosophy, because there are questions science can't answer (yet?). I am new to this whole thing so probably will inform myself first about the things that interest me and then answer with the knowledge I gained and the connections I made. :mrgreen:
uwot

Re: Introduction to myself

Post by uwot »

Welcome to the forum, frayman. Fundamentally, the difference between physics and philosophy is that physics can work perfectly well without knowing how things work. This is best illustrated by Newton in the General Scholium, an essay he added to the second edition of the Principia. Basically, he said that his inverse square law explained the behaviour of the tides and planets and that is all that matters to physics. Famously he stated "hypotheses non fingo", I make no hypotheses. He went so far as to say that hypotheses have no place in physics.
Einstein, on the other hand, thought that hypotheses matter, and in fact general relativity is predicated on a hypothetical 4 dimensional spacetime. Whether this actually exists is irrelevant to the fact that his field equations are more accurate than Newton's inverse square law.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay! :mrgreen:
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

frayman wrote:Hi there.
I am normally more the science guy. Studying physics in the 5. Semester. But I always had interest in philosophy, because there are questions science can't answer (yet?). I am new to this whole thing so probably will inform myself first about the things that interest me and then answer with the knowledge I gained and the connections I made. :mrgreen:

I think philosophy is not about finding answer. It is about discussing what makes a good question; how to ask a question; and to assess the assumptions that lie behind questions.
The history of science shows us that 90% of what science has said is out of date. More philosophy in science would give proper and valuable assessments of the meaning and limits of the pronouncements of science. And provide a much needed humility to those that practice it.
Kristofer

Post by Kristofer »

Welcome to the forum :)
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

frayman wrote:Hi there.
Welcome in.
frayman

Post by frayman »

Thank you for the kind welcoming :oops:
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

Welcome aboard, Frayman.

Both in physics and philosophy you have questions you can't ignore. The difference is:

.................................................= In physics you have questions with answers.

.................................................= In philosophy you have questions without answers.

(Credit to Bill Wiltrack).

HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

frayman wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:17 pm Hi there.
Welcome frayman!

Turn back!

Been on various philosophy forums for about 9 years, only met a handful that are intelligent enough to do actual philosophy, asking intelligent questions and actually understand an intelligent answer. I quote many things from wiki to provide an actual solid answer, but they're always ignored because the answer has to be poetic and not burst any bubbles.

So in short 99% can best be described as high functional retards, and no mods ever promotes actual philosophy, quite the contrary, always tear things down to retard level.
PauloL

Post by PauloL »

HexHammer wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:57 am I quote many things from wiki to provide an actual solid answer...