How rude

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jacobsladder

How rude

Post by Jacobsladder »

Since I didn't introduce myself earlier, after years of occasional lurking, but now actually posting: here I am. A few years ago I joined but never came to write anything down. My interest encompasses like the forum title "all things philosophical", with history, sociology and anthropology as main interests at the moment. But I like discussing any link of those topics with ideology and underlying philosophical systems.
uwot

Re: How rude

Post by uwot »

Jacobsladder wrote:...I like discussing any link of those topics with ideology and underlying philosophical systems.
But not so much that you would do so for almost three years. Welcome anyway.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

Jacobsladder wrote:Since I didn't introduce myself earlier, after years of occasional lurking, but now actually posting: here I am. A few years ago I joined but never came to write anything down. My interest encompasses like the forum title "all things philosophical", with history, sociology and anthropology as main interests at the moment. But I like discussing any link of those topics with ideology and underlying philosophical systems.
Welcome back.

If you like history then J.M. Robert's classic "History Of The World" would be perfect for you. He ends with Bin Laden and leaves the Muslim uprisings as an open question. Although UBL is dead the Muslim world is still having their uprising and right now it is Sunni's vs Shia's. Grab some popcorn and let's all watch.

If you want to get up to speed in Philosophy there are several good choices although Bertrand Russell's "History Of Western Philosophy" is a classic. He ends with his own "modern analytical Empiricism" which means he has made Science his Religion and his Philosophy -- but then he died. So he could not help it.

Roberts died too. Both these guys are dead.

If you want to read about a living modern philosopher pick up "Modern Philosophy" by Roger Scruton, the famous British Empiricist.

Good luck. And welcome.

If you abstain from using fallacies then you won't end up on my ignore list. Otherwise you will. I usually give one or two warnings to help you see the light about bad thinking and Sophistry.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Erm, so welcome to the PN forums.
Um, there are nice people here too.

You may need to sidestep one or two amazing egos.
Sorry.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

yiostheoy wrote:
Jacobsladder wrote:Since I didn't introduce myself earlier, after years of occasional lurking, but now actually posting: here I am. A few years ago I joined but never came to write anything down. My interest encompasses like the forum title "all things philosophical", with history, sociology and anthropology as main interests at the moment. But I like discussing any link of those topics with ideology and underlying philosophical systems.
Welcome back.

If you like history then J.M. Robert's classic "History Of The World" would be perfect for you. He ends with Bin Laden and leaves the Muslim uprisings as an open question. Although UBL is dead the Muslim world is still having their uprising and right now it is Sunni's vs Shia's. Grab some popcorn and let's all watch.

If you want to get up to speed in Philosophy there are several good choices although Bertrand Russell's "History Of Western Philosophy" is a classic. He ends with his own "modern analytical Empiricism" which means he has made Science his Religion and his Philosophy -- but then he died. So he could not help it.

Roberts died too. Both these guys are dead.

If you want to read about a living modern philosopher pick up "Modern Philosophy" by Roger Scruton, the famous British Empiricist.

Good luck. And welcome.

If you abstain from using fallacies then you won't end up on my ignore list. Otherwise you will. I usually give one or two warnings to help you see the light about bad thinking and Sophistry.
Wow. Your welcomes come with a warning. Hehehehehehe. I am pretty sure that if you meet God, you will tell him the same thing, right?
Jacobsladder

Post by Jacobsladder »

Thanks for the various welcomes. To clarify, I've been discussing topics on forums since the late nineties but last years I find it very hard to find time or place to really get some interesting discussion going. And no, before any wise cracking takes place: it doesn't help waiting six weeks with responding to anyone. But that's life sometimes, you plan one thing and another thing happens. 8)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

yiostheoy wrote:
If you abstain from using fallacies .
The gravest of which would be in believing that you were worth bothering with.
. then you won't end up on my ignore list.
But if he has any sense, you will be the first to go on his.
I usually give one or two warnings to help you see the light
I've already given him those but he will probably have to experience what a tosser you are for himself before he gets to see the light.
Jacobsladder

Post by Jacobsladder »

Thanks for the concerns Haarbal. There's nothing new under the sun, some preacher suggested once. There are some who voice their particulars, boundaries, conditions and strict demands -- and then there are those who are driven to challenge exactly those just because they're there! But my first concern is trying to frequent the place a bit more often. Wading through all the particularities of people comes usually way easier to me.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

uwot wrote:
Jacobsladder wrote:...I like discussing any link of those topics with ideology and underlying philosophical systems.
But not so much that you would do so for almost three years. Welcome anyway.
Never hurts to spend time reading, but valid point.