It was only a matter of Time before I made an appearance

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Obvious Leo

Re: It was only a matter of Time before I made an appearance

Post by Obvious Leo »

God wrote:So you don't want Me to run away and crawl under a rock? :)
I have a strict policy of never giving free advice to gods. They never take any notice anyway.
God

Post by God »

Obvious Leo wrote:
God wrote:So you don't want Me to run away and crawl under a rock? :)
I have a strict policy of never giving free advice to gods. They never take any notice anyway.
And yet, here I am, taking notice!
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

God wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
God wrote:
Tell that to the billions that continue to 'dial Me up'. Or the ones that continue to post on this thread to do nothing more constructive than bitch, rather than walk on to better things.
Many of us do "tell that". But one thing that goes with Faith is the unerring ability to fail to listen. Speaking of walking why don't you run along and crawl back under your out-of-date rock from whence you came?
Possibly because this is a thread I began for people who wanted to discover who I am, by way of introduction. I was responding to questions that were asked of Me, one of which was yours... and it is you that seems to not want to listen. Make up your mind as to whether you wish to engage or not!

Maybe it is you who should run along to tend to threads that can actually benefit from your clearly 'informed' and 'valuable' opinion. (I'm still trying to get the hang of sarcasm... Was that OK????)
God would not have to try. He'd know how to do sarcasm.

I'm engaging with you for the simply reason that you are not actually god. Or have you not realised that yet?
Your continued confession of ignorance on matter philosophical means that you are not capable of keeping up the pretence.
But when I tell you to crawl back under your rock, it is the god fiction to which I direct my comment -obviously.
If you want to keep up the fiction, then you can always strike me down with a bolt of lightning.

But let's establish which god, or what kind of god you are.
Are there other gods?
What are your qualities?
Are you material?
Did you create the universe?
Where did you come from?

As God you will know I am not trying to set an elephant trap, but please answer this question as you wish.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:I'd just rather counter your objections first. So, what are the reasons for creating a new existence, that solely benefits the potential existent, and not the existing parent or parent's society?
Why would you say this? Why would a new existent not be of benefit to the parent of such existent? In my own case I would refute this utterly. Also how could you so unilaterally claim that the new existent could not benefit his or her society? Is this truly the case you're trying to make or have I misunderstood your meaning completely?
You've misunderstood completely. I asked how existence would benefit the possible future existent for itself, and NOT the parent and society.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dalek Prime wrote:You've misunderstood completely.
I had a feeling I must have because you generally make more sense than that. Not always, but usually. :wink:
Dalek Prime wrote:I asked how existence would benefit the possible future existent for itself,
Now you've really got me stumped. We Aussies drink far too much beer to be logically defined as sentient so you might need to simplify this question for the likes of me.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:You've misunderstood completely.
I had a feeling I must have because you generally make more sense than that. Not always, but usually. :wink:
Dalek Prime wrote:I asked how existence would benefit the possible future existent for itself,
Now you've really got me stumped. We Aussies drink far too much beer to be logically defined as sentient so you might need to simplify this question for the likes of me.
How is putting together two gametes to form a zygote a benefit to the gametes? Is it a tragedy to the gametes themselves if they never fuse? Similarly, in a lighter vein, it's a disappointment to you if your billiard cue ball fails to connect with the ball you want to sink. Is it disappointing to the cue ball itself? Or the ball intended to be struck?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"I don't expect you to understand"

But, I (think I) do. You're a person. A person can't twiddle his thumbs forever. At some point, a person has to 'do'.

You're more like us (or, we're more like you) than folks generally think.

I'm by no expert on Hebrew theology, but -- as I recall what little I know -- you strike me as 'jewish' (if that makes sense).
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dalek Prime wrote: How is putting together two gametes to form a zygote a benefit to the gametes? Is it a tragedy to the gametes themselves if they never fuse? Similarly, in a lighter vein, it's a disappointment to you if your billiard cue ball fails to connect with the ball you want to sink. Is it disappointing to the cue ball itself? Or the ball intended to be struck?
I'm still not 100% sure of what you're driving out here but I suspect you're putting the cart before the horse. The snooker ball goes in the pocket because it was caused to go in the pocket but this doesn't mean it goes in the pocket for a reason beyond the intent of the bloke of the end of the cue-stick. Likewise with your own existence. You exist because you were caused to exist but the reason for your existence is up to you to sort out.

Are you sure you're not just a closet theist yearning for the supernatural?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: How is putting together two gametes to form a zygote a benefit to the gametes? Is it a tragedy to the gametes themselves if they never fuse? Similarly, in a lighter vein, it's a disappointment to you if your billiard cue ball fails to connect with the ball you want to sink. Is it disappointing to the cue ball itself? Or the ball intended to be struck?
I'm still not 100% sure of what you're driving out here but I suspect you're putting the cart before the horse. The snooker ball goes in the pocket because it was caused to go in the pocket but this doesn't mean it goes in the pocket for a reason beyond the intent of the bloke of the end of the cue-stick. Likewise with your own existence. You exist because you were caused to exist but the reason for your existence is up to you to sort out.

Are you sure you're not just a closet theist yearning for the supernatural?
Now you're 100% off. You have to put yourself into a mind experiment, and think from the point of view of somthing that doesn't exist ie. A non-existent.

Anyways, you and AS can't. Actually, most people can't, because natalism is never questioned or deeply inquired into. So I'll leave it there.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dalek Prime wrote:Now you're 100% off. You have to put yourself into a mind experiment, and think from the point of view of somthing that doesn't exist ie. A non-existent.
Don't give up no me just yet because I want to get to the bottom of this. How does something which doesn't exist have a point of view for me to consider?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Now you're 100% off. You have to put yourself into a mind experiment, and think from the point of view of somthing that doesn't exist ie. A non-existent.
Don't give up no me just yet because I want to get to the bottom of this. How does something which doesn't exist have a point of view for me to consider?
It doesn't have a point of view. Hence it doesn't miss existence, or indeed need to exist. Yet you should consider it, because you make the biggest decision for it without considering it. You create a new conciousness without considering whether that conciousness needed to be. And now it's stuck with it, whether it likes it or not.

Really Leo, I'm not trying to be patronizing when I say you don't get it. We are going to go in circles, so let's just drop it. Most people get stuck on the non-identity problem that actually is not a problem at all. ie. We often think of future people, and plan for them. We want to leave thriving economies and environments for them, as stewards do, that they live good lives. But they don't exist, do they? Yet we plan for them, right? Yet, when antinatalists talk about existence considerations itself for these same, you tell us there is nothing there to be considered, because they don't exist. You throw the non-identity problem in our faces, when you have no problems planning for future generations (non-existents) in general.

This is why I point out the literature. Not because I want to waste people's time, but because it's subtle, and I don't want to waste mine in pounding out the subtleties, especially from experience that most just don't get them anyways.
God

Post by God »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
God wrote: ...Maybe it is you who should run along to tend to threads that can benefit from your clearly 'informed' and 'valuable' opinion. (I'm still trying to get the hang of sarcasm... Was that OK????)
God would not have to try. He'd know how to do sarcasm.
I was not only being sarcastic about the preceding sentence but also about my understanding of sarcasm. I know how to do a a Möbius strip of sarcasm. You just wouldn't get it.
Hobbes' Choice wrote: I'm engaging with you for the simply reason that you are not actually god.

And you know that in all certainty, how?
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Your continued confession of ignorance on matter philosophical means that you are not capable of keeping up the pretence.
I don't 'do' Philosophy, because I don't have a lot of use for Philosophy.

Epistemology: How do you know? Because I'm God.

Metaphysics: What is the nature of reality? I am.

Ethics: What is good? What I say.

Philosophy of Religion: Does God exist? If I answer that question, yes I do.

Logic: I could mess with your head: take two oranges, another two oranges and I'll make them five oranges... but any stage magician can pull that stunt.

How you define terms is up to you: are all bachelors unmarried men? If you say so.

There is a Universe. Is that logical? Does it behave logically? Can you explain the two-slit experiment?
Hobbes' Choice wrote: But when I tell you to crawl back under your rock, it is the god fiction to which I direct my comment -obviously.
If you want to keep up the fiction, then you can always strike me down with a bolt of lightning.
Much as I Love you, it's not your place to tell Me what to do... but maybe it's time for you to sleep with one eye open....
Hobbes' Choice wrote: But let's establish which god, or what kind of god you are.

Are there other gods?

How many gods does it take to change a Universe? (The answers to 'lightbulb' amuse Me!)
What are your qualities?

Look around.
Are you material?
If you can tell Me what you mean by matter, I can tell you whether I'm that.
Did you create the universe?
Yes, but I've already told you that. I was following a cup cake recipe.
Where did you come from?
I didn't. I am Everywhere.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

I'm surprised that some people here have been irritated by this thread. I find it amusing. I don't see seriousness or self-stroking going on.

I think "this god" is simply having fun with us... which is what I think any intelligent god would truly do! People defining a serious god with an agenda and rules doesn't seem very realistic to me. Why would a god be serious? Why would a god have rules? Why would a god have an agenda... when ANYTHING goes each and every moment? How boring and unimaginative would that be, for a god to say, "Okay everybody, here's THE PATH we're going to follow, now everyone get in line." IT MAKES NO SENSE!!! A god doesn't need a particular path... ONLY HUMANS DO. And any god who embraces it all, rather than being absorbed with him/it self (as humans are) would SURELY be laughing and full of joy at the magnificence of it all and how it continually evolves. Why would this not be the case?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

God wrote: I didn't. I am Everywhere.
Then you ought to know what TV programme I have on in the background.

Sadly you do not know and therefore you are not god.
God

Post by God »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
God wrote: I didn't. I am Everywhere.
Then you ought to know what TV programme I have on in the background.

Sadly you do not know and therefore you are not god.
I am Everywhere... but will you be quiet, I'm trying to watch a TV show of My own...