the dragon has finally landed

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Zaranth

the dragon has finally landed

Post by Zaranth »

Hello PN members....latest newbie here. I just started university this term so I'm still stumbling and feeling my way around. Hope to learn something from this site ie from you wise and learned folks so please don't disappoint me :lol: Enchanté.
Dalek Prime

Re: the dragon has finally landed

Post by Dalek Prime »

Zaranth wrote:Hello PN members....latest newbie here. I just started university this term so I'm still stumbling and feeling my way around. Hope to learn something from this site ie from you wise and learned folks so please don't disappoint me :lol: Enchanté.
Expectations disappoint. We don't. (Whoops, there's that damned 'we' again.)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Zaranth wrote:Hello PN members....latest newbie here. I just started university this term so I'm still stumbling and feeling my way around. Hope to learn something from this site ie from you wise and learned folks so please don't disappoint me :lol: Enchanté.
Expectations disappoint. We don't. (Whoops, there's that damned 'we' again.)
"We" have "we" met? Anyway, welcome Dragon, where do you think you have landed, likely the reality is nothing like your fantasy.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Just don't try cozychatting or dissing 'murica and you'll be fine .
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Welcome to the forum, Zaranth.

Zaranth wrote:Hope to learn something from this site ie from you wise and learned folks
The first thing you'll need to learn is the fine art of discrimination because many of the wise and learned folks are neither as wise nor as learned as they imagine themselves to be. Clearly you'll have to separate the wheat from the chaff for yourself but there is enough of both to keep you both amused and informed. Don't worry too much if people hang shit on you because this is Rome, mate, and when in Rome we do as the Romans do.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hi, do not hold your hopes too high from the Forum, though the magazine is a good read.
Where and what are you studying?
Zaranth

Post by Zaranth »

Hey guys, I'm back and I feel like I just got swarmed here lolz....
Dalek Prime wrote: Expectations disappoint. We don't. (Whoops, there's that damned 'we' again.)
Really? Heard those famous words but no worries-I'm more a limbo fan than a high jump's....
thedoc wrote:
"We" have "we" met? Anyway, welcome Dragon, where do you think you have landed, likely the reality is nothing like your fantasy.
Thanks, thedoc and nope, we haven't met. Sometimes, a bit of fantasy helps me get through 'my' reality. Doesn't help that I'm an eternal procrastinator as well.
Skip wrote:Just don't try cozychatting or dissing 'murica and you'll be fine .
What? I don't do no cozychatting lest I get catfished and I'm quarter yank, half-canuck....I spend most of my summers over there so I think I can bash both sides of the border :D
Obvious Leo wrote:Welcome to the forum, Zaranth.
Zaranth wrote:Hope to learn something from this site ie from you wise and learned folks
The first thing you'll need to learn is the fine art of discrimination because many of the wise and learned folks are neither as wise nor as learned as they imagine themselves to be. Clearly you'll have to separate the wheat from the chaff for yourself but there is enough of both to keep you both amused and informed. Don't worry too much if people hang shit on you because this is Rome, mate, and when in Rome we do as the Romans do.
Thanks for the heads-up, Obvious Leo. I consider myself naive and ignorant in terms of knowledge and life experiences but I can still raise hell and give shit like the best of you. :wink:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hi, do not hold your hopes too high from the Forum, though the magazine is a good read.
Where and what are you studying?
I'm a glass half-full kind of person but I get the message, Hobbes Choice. I'm Montreal-born and bred and just started university (English) a few weeks ago- Biochemistry undergrad. Sometimes in the midst of a 'difficult' course, I'd get an existential moment and ask wtf am I doing here lolz.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Zaranth wrote:Hey guys, I'm back and I feel like I just got swarmed here lolz....
Dalek Prime wrote: Expectations disappoint. We don't. (Whoops, there's that damned 'we' again.)
Really? Heard those famous words but no worries-I'm more a limbo fan than a high jump's...
Wise choice of hobbies. :lol:

Btw, were you born in the Year of the Dragon? I'm a wood dragon, myself; 1964.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Zaranth wrote: Biochemistry undergrad.
Biochemistry was my first foray into the mysteries of science, although I've strayed onto a great many related and unrelated paths since. It fascinated me over forty years ago, and it still does, because the science of life is a science whose depths can never be adequately plumbed. In my day once you got the hang of the Krebs cycle it was all downhill from there but I've always kept up with the literature and I'm well aware of the fact that the world has moved on a long way from there. I wish you all the best with it.
Zaranth

Post by Zaranth »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Zaranth wrote:Hey guys, I'm back and I feel like I just got swarmed here lolz....
Really? Heard those famous words but no worries-I'm more a limbo fan than a high jump's...
Wise choice of hobbies. :lol:
Yup, definitely worth doing esp after retirement...
Btw, were you born in the Year of the Dragon? I'm a wood dragon, myself; 1964.
Nope, a wood pig...personable, generous, brave, lovely and all that...oh so true...lolz
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

My ascendant is the wood rabbit, both time and month. That's how people perceive me, according to lore.

Nice to see someone who keeps track of their Chinese sign. Cheers.
Zaranth

Post by Zaranth »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Zaranth wrote: Biochemistry undergrad.
Biochemistry was my first foray into the mysteries of science, although I've strayed onto a great many related and unrelated paths since. It fascinated me over forty years ago, and it still does, because the science of life is a science whose depths can never be adequately plumbed. In my day once you got the hang of the Krebs cycle it was all downhill from there but I've always kept up with the literature and I'm well aware of the fact that the world has moved on a long way from there. I wish you all the best with it.
Thanks, I'm hoping to get into med school and having a Biochem undergrad degree would give me a good background...but hopefully I wouldn't need to memorise the Krebs cycle 8)
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

It's not so much a matter of memorising the Krebs as understanding the Krebs. Memorising the Krebs would be quite a feat of memory, even for a non-drinker which I certainly wasn't, but once you understand the Krebs you get an intuitive feel for the energy cycles and ultimately is is the energy cycles which determine all the cellular processes. You're on the opposite trajectory from the one I was on. I jumped ship out of medicine and opted for Biochem instead and essentially I've been jumping ships ever since.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Zaranth wrote: I'm a glass half-full kind of person but I get the message, Hobbes Choice. I'm Montreal-born and bred and just started university (English) a few weeks ago- Biochemistry undergrad. Sometimes in the midst of a 'difficult' course, I'd get an existential moment and ask wtf am I doing here lolz.
Sorry - do you mean an English speaking uni in Canada?
Zaranth

Post by Zaranth »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Zaranth wrote: I'm a glass half-full kind of person but I get the message, Hobbes Choice. I'm Montreal-born and bred and just started university (English) a few weeks ago- Biochemistry undergrad. Sometimes in the midst of a 'difficult' course, I'd get an existential moment and ask wtf am I doing here lolz.
Sorry - do you mean an English speaking uni in Canada?
No, I meant in Quebec province where there are only 3 English universities (2 located in Montreal) while the rest are all in French. We have complicated language issues here which are tightly woven into our education, culture and esp politics.