Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Hi Everyone ... A Q ?

Post by Dalek Prime »

Oops. Houston, we have quoting issues.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:Yes, please. How dare I not know some stranger's background. :roll:
Iranians don't speak Arabic.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Yes, please. How dare I not know some stranger's background. :roll:
To quote, "I live in Iran". Easy to miss, which I did, and easy to assume he means just that, and nothing more. I'm quite aware of the differences, the languages, and its native religion, Zoroastrianism. And since Disident has already kindly forgiven my oh so many faults and human frailties, why don't you now do the same, and shut the fuck up. Thank you kindly.

Btw, its not a long shot to assume, as a Muslim, that he would know the language of the Qaran, ie. Arabic. That he doesn't is not my issue.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
. and shut the fuck up. Thank you kindly.
Tut, tut.
I think the only person that needs advice is you; pay attention to the thread, bitch.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Taking advice from you Hobbes is like welcoming a venereal disease.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:Taking advice from you Hobbes is like welcoming a venereal disease.
Well stop fucking with the thread!!
Boom Boom!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Taking advice from you Hobbes is like welcoming a venereal disease.
Boom Boom!
"Boom Boom"? Clever. Aren't you busy calling Inglorious a closet gay on another thread? :roll:
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dissident.1996 wrote:That's really cool to know that you know him ! yeah Khayyam's tomb is in a city close to my city . how did you know him and how did he influence your lifetime ??
I first came to know of Omar in my childhood when I had a fascination for all things literary and developed a deep passion for his Rubaiyat. I first became interested in the philosophy of science as a young adult and eventually my studies took me to the Persians, whose tools of mathematics still underpin all of western science. Inevitably I found myself back with Omar who was one of the greatest of them all and I became thoroughly familiar with his entire body of work, particularly in the field of the philosophy of mathematics and more specifically what mathematics can and cannot tell us about our physical world. Unfortunately, although the mathematical tools of the Persians were skilfully adopted by the scientists of the western Renaissance the underlying philosophies which were intended to accompany these tools never were, presumably because western science felt it needed no instruction in philosophical matters by a bunch of godless heathen. This was a great tragedy and a serious error of judgement because the modern western science of physics still hasn't got a clue about what the mathematics is telling them. Consequently humanity has been needlessly presented with models of our universe which make no fucking sense. The Frenchman might say "C'est la vie" but we Aussies just say "Shit happens".

I've never actually been to Iran, although I almost got there about 30 years ago. However it's still on my bucket list of places in the world yet to be visited and if I ever manage to get there I'll most certainly visit the tomb of Omar, who ranks even ahead of Leibniz, Kant, Spinoza, Buddha and Einstein as the most significant muse in my life of philosophy.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Boom Boom!
"Boom Boom"? Clever. Aren't you busy calling Inglorious a closet gay on another thread? :roll:
You mean the guy that thinks all gays masterminding a Nazi like take over of the western world.
Um - some people deserve the ridicule they will get.
Can you imagine a gay army annexing the Sudetenland dressed as the Village People handing out fascist flowers?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”

― Omar Khayyám, Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

It's worth mentioning that the English "discovered" and translator did much rearragning of the verses to a point that the would make much unrecognisable in the original.

If you can get access to BBC, listen to Melvin Brag's "In Our Time" (podcast) on this topic.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
You mean the guy that thinks all gays masterminding a Nazi like take over of the western world.
Um - some people deserve the ridicule they will get.
Can you imagine a gay army annexing the Sudetenland dressed as the Village People handing out fascist flowers?
Actually, I can. I'm a gay Dalek, according to you, and as you're well aware, all we want is to conquer the whole universe, let alone the Sudetenland... With little facsist flowers, of course

So yeah, he's an arse. But you're doing a good job at following suit.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: It's worth mentioning that the English "discovered" and translator did much rearragning of the verses to a point that the would make much unrecognisable in the original.
I agree. The Fitzgerald translation with which most of us are familiar leaves a lot to be desired. However significant snippets of the message leak through and there are far better translations around in other languages if you happen to be fluent in them. There's also a lot of good and learned commentary on the Rubaiyat available for literature scholars, although sadly not so much for the philosophers.
Hobbes' Choice wrote:If you can get access to BBC, listen to Melvin Brag's "In Our Time" (podcast) on this topic.
Thanks for the tip. I hold Bragg in high regard so will probably do so.
Dissident.1996

Post by Dissident.1996 »

[/quote]
To quote, "I live in Iran". Easy to miss, which I did, and easy to assume he means just that, and nothing more. I'm quite aware of the differences, the languages, and its native religion, Zoroastrianism. And since Disident has already kindly forgiven my oh so many faults and human frailties, why don't you now do the same, and shut the fuck up. Thank you kindly.

Btw, its not a long shot to assume, as a Muslim, that he would know the language of the Qaran, ie. Arabic. That he doesn't is not my issue.[/quote]

Oh come on ! please calm down . I can't believe that two wise guys are just struggling each other for nothing !
yeah our native religion was Zoroastrianism but it was sooo weakened after Muslim's attack to Iran about 1300-1350 years ago . first I researched and converted to Zoroastrianism , even though its much better than Islam I still could not be satisfied with the "GOD" thing and I researched about atheism ...
anyways , I know Arabic too but not much . I know it basically .
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dissident.1996 wrote: Oh come on ! please calm down . I can't believe that two wise guys are just struggling each other for nothing !
It's just the eccentric way they show their deep affection for each other, Dissident. You'll get used to it.
Dissident.1996

Post by Dissident.1996 »

[/quote]

Tut, tut.
I think the only person that needs advice is you; pay attention to the thread, bitch.[/quote]

btw , What did Professor Richard Dawkins mean by saying Science works bitches ?? why did he use "BITCHES" ??