Greetings and salutations

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hegesias

Greetings and salutations

Post by Hegesias »

I'm just poking my head in to see what's being discussed here. I'm pretty busy with work and commitments so I may take a long time to reply. Well, the first rule of thought club is to understand I don't understand anything. Or something like that. So...I'll just be standing in the corner watching you guys with my best poker face on. Carry on. 8)
Hegesias

Re: Greetings and salutations

Post by Hegesias »

Oops. I didn't say anything about myself did I? I think a man's watch often says a lot about him so I'll tell you how I chose my favourite watch.

I wanted a fine Swiss watch but I wasn't sure about what to get. I really liked the Rolex Submariner in black but I just felt a Rolex was too ostentatious. It screams nouveau riche and trying too hard. I really liked the Omega Seamaster in black too...but too many guys who think they're James Bond wear them. I didn't want to make a statement about myself or stand out from the crowd. So I got a Breitling Airborne with black NATO strap. It's tasteful, understated; you can wear it in a Tuxedo or to the beach. It isn't gold; it isn't covered in jewels. I'm unlikely to be robbed of it. And no one would know it's a world class Swiss watch - except maybe someone genuinely interested in such things for their own value, as opposed to men with inferiority complexes who need status symbols.

I guess that's reading a lot into a watch but men don't wear jewellery so a man's watch has to reflect his character. I'm just a guy who's comfortable with who I am and have nothing to prove to anyone. And I like the good things in life. At least, I think they're the good things in life. Maybe a little philosophy and introspection will change my mind.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

HOW DARE YOU WEAR A WATCH!

...or even contemplate doing so.

REAL philosophers don't wear watches!!!

...now,...stand in the corner & watch me.

Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Really? Two posts, and all we know about you is what watch you like? You really don't give much away, do you...

I'll call you watcher, or watchman from now on. :roll:
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

"I like to watch."
Peter Sellers - Being There
Hegesias

Post by Hegesias »

Dalek Prime wrote:Really? Two posts, and all we know about you is what watch you like? You really don't give much away, do you...

I'll call you watcher, or watchman from now on. :roll:
That better be an allusion to Plato's Republic or else I'm confused...actually, I'm confused even if it is. But I get it. You're familiar with Plato's Republic = you are clever. :)
Hegesias

Post by Hegesias »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

You're the guy who metaphorically fellated Noam Chomsky in that other thread right? You're going to be my first "foe" here. And don't expect any good natured jabs. With radical leftists it's personal and always will be.