Hello from Brazil

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

kiyoshi7

Hello from Brazil

Post by kiyoshi7 »

Hey I'm new here. My real name is Daniel I am the oddest person when it come to academia I am an art and engineering dropout now I am working to get a degree in Math(of all things). I have an interest in just about everything from arts to the exact sciences to biology and recently I've been wanting to know more of philosophy . I've already read Gilbert Ryle’s The Concept of Mind and some others but I would like some lighter books to read can you guys can recommend some or tell where I can ask in the forums?
WanderingLands

Re: Hello from Brazil

Post by WanderingLands »

kiyoshi7 wrote:Hey I'm new here. My real name is Daniel I am the oddest person when it come to academia I am an art and engineering dropout now I am working to get a degree in Math(of all things). I have an interest in just about everything from arts to the exact sciences to biology and recently I've been wanting to know more of philosophy . I've already read Gilbert Ryle’s The Concept of Mind and some others but I would like some lighter books to read can you guys can recommend some or tell where I can ask in the forums?
Interesting character you are - see you at the forums.
kiyoshi7

Post by kiyoshi7 »

That's a nice way of putting it... lol
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Well Daniel, I'm not sure if there are any 'lighter books' out there, considering that philosophical thoughts are by nature meant to be deep. That being said, perhaps you can look more into the mind in terms of the metaphysical/theoretical realm and the practical realm. I have a list so give you some curiosity.

* Stoic texts (Epictetus' Enchiridion can be more easily explored)
* Material by Carl Jung; he talks of the 'Collective Unconscious' which is a realm which all individual minds are interconnected to.
* Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit is definitely the opposite of a lighter book, but is good to read and quite necessary if you are exploring the Mind.
* Travel Guide To Other Dimensions is a neurological book that I've bought a couple years ago. It explores the states of consciousness and how it can be influenced by psychoactive drugs, prayer, rituals, meditation, etc.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Hello kiyoshi7
I think if you want to get an understanding of western philosophy, the best place to start is with the differences between rationalism and empiricism. Basically, the rationalists believe that the way to know something is to think, while the empiricists prefer to look. The two keys figures are Rene Descartes and David Hume, both of whom wrote clearly and concisely. Their essential works are available to download, free of charge, from the Project Gutenberg:
Descartes: Discourse on method http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59
Hume: Enquiry concerning human understanding http://gutenberg.org/ebooks/9662
(I'd leave Hegel for a bit.)
Perene

Post by Perene »

Hello all,
I am also from Brazil and philosophy and psychology were always topics that caught my interest. I have been reading the Plato Dialogues and they have helped me a great deal to not only improve my intelectual skills, but to value more elevated things in life.

I found this forum after searching for the subject "why scientists hate philosophy".
Walker

Post by Walker »

Perene wrote:Hello all,
I am also from Brazil and philosophy and psychology were always topics that caught my interest. I have been reading the Plato Dialogues and they have helped me a great deal to not only improve my intelectual skills, but to value more elevated things in life.

I found this forum after searching for the subject "why scientists hate philosophy".
Hello. Why would a scientist hate philosophy?

viewforum.php?f=12
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hello again.

Since this forum hosts both philosophers and scientists, you will likely find some original insights through posting your views at the link I provided. The link will take you to the Philosophy of Science forum. By posting there, you will have the opportunity and advantages of dialogue.

viewforum.php?f=12