Hello fellow beings.

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Being

Hello fellow beings.

Post by Being »

Looking forward to sharing, with others, our philosophical views. I have not yet explored this forum's content, but I am sure to learn more about it in due course.
You may quickly learn that I am not an academic, or learnt philosopher. To clarify, I am just a person who quite often exercises introspection. As a result, my life is slowly turning inside-out . . . and loving it.
Blaggard

Re: Hello fellow beings.

Post by Blaggard »

Looking forward to hearing them shared thoughts. Worry not everyone who thinks about more is a philosopher if not an educated one, at least just a philosopher nonetheless. I have no formal training in philosophy just degrees of science, but I make out ok and I am sure you will to...

But be aware this is not a usual place, it is quite freaky and you might be terrified by the usual suspects, just a heads up/ ;)
Being

Post by Being »

Hello Blaggard.
(blaggard, defined as a villain, rogue; from the word 'blag' (UK) - to rob, esp. post offices). Curious username. Is that your intention, to rob forum posts? :lol:

Thanks for the 'heads up', but you never know, I might be just be one of those 'freaky' ones.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Being wrote:Hello Blaggard.
(blaggard, defined as a villain, rogue; from the word 'blag' (UK) - to rob, esp. post offices). Curious username. Is that your intention, to rob forum posts? :lol:

Thanks for the 'heads up', but you never know, I might be just be one of those 'freaky' ones.

Be aware that 'freaky' comes in several different flavors, and we have several here. My own is mostly attempted humor, mostly failed. But welcome to the forum.

BTW, my "Degree" is inflicted by friends, and is in 'Microferroequinology'.

My 'real' degree is a 'BS in education', emphasis on the BS.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

The study of small iron horses?

Do you mean equineoscatology? ;)

BS is bovineoscatology. ;)

Oh so that's why its called a Bachellor of Shit BS rather than BSc still could be worse they could label it BA or Bullshit Artist. :P
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote:The study of small iron horses?

Do you mean equineoscatology? ;)

BS is bovineoscatology. ;)

Oh so that's why its called a Bachellor of Shit BS rather than BSc still could be worse they could label it BA or Bullshit Artist. :P

I prefer to translate it as 'Knowledge of the Miniature Iron Horse', It seems that I am good at working on and fixing HO scale model trains and my friends started calling me 'Doc' or 'The Doc', as in "Train Doctor", because of that. It has stuck with me and I used it on the internet.

My BS in Education was for Industrial arts (shop) and I taught for 7 years. When I got out of teaching and actually got into the industries, I found out just how much of what I was taught in college, was really BS. In metal working, wood working, and especially drafting, industry did not do it the way I was taught, and then expected to teach in school.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

I see the other word for a Train Doctor is engineer. But meh it's a Healing of broken machines, I doubt MD, Medical Doctorate is going to suffice. :P

Incidentally while we're blathering away, I am playing a game called Deus ex Machina: Human Revolution and its sequal Deus Ex: The Fall a stark future where human augmentation is the norm and drug companies fight to control people by issuing drugs that are able to stop withdrawal symptoms from being fully human. The anti-hero plays an augmented human who is killed by a company and then resurrected as the ultimate human-machine augment complete with bionic legs and arms and a cybernetically enhanced brain, and has to take the drug companies to task for their shameless exploitation of Nueropazene a drug specifically designed for augmented individuals that basically leaves you as a sort of human robot if you fail to take it on a regular basis. It's really quite interesting, exploring the genetics of the future while at the same time creating a sort of dystopia where terrorists who are pro human are destroying everything, and creating hell.

At the end the nueropazene turns off your implants and you have to infiltrate a bio company called LIMB to track down the source of the human controlling president, there are 3 endings you destroy the president hence ending the drug traficking that controls society, you kill yourself hence removing your tech augments from the system, or you kill the whole human race a rather abrupt solution ending the need for any sort of evolution at all. Fascinating post apocalyptic story, I think if you like machines you would enjoy it. :)

With the lack of Neuropazine those humans who are not augmented ironically become berzerkers, they are extremely sensitive to sound, and are unable to think rationally becoming basically zombies with a lust for killing that is only sated when they have killed everyone and anything they can find. It's because the drug stimulates the amygdala which makes people hyper and humans have had it introduced over time despite not being augmented, so now everyone is addicted, promoting a sort of testosterone/adrenaline surged rage, enraged much like the original berzerkers or Bare Sarkers (lit. without clothes) were driven wild by imbibng intoxicants and certain mushrooms.

Let's just say the way it develops human beings by apotheosis making them the virtual Gods is clever, the way it then seeks to explain how a God out of the machine is to use the Greek phrase which means an unexpected twist in the plot seemingly introduced by divine intervention is sublime. Clever stuff. :)
Last edited by Blaggard on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Being wrote:Looking forward to sharing, with others, our philosophical views. I have not yet explored this forum's content, but I am sure to learn more about it in due course.
You may quickly learn that I am not an academic, or learnt philosopher. To clarify, I am just a person who quite often exercises introspection. As a result, my life is slowly turning inside-out . . . and loving it.
Welcome to the journey....
Being

Post by Being »

Thanks thedoc, and WanderingLands, for the welcome.

I am reasonably new to forums. I have noticed that many threads tend to have branches on them. Some of these have good fruit, while others have already dropped off.

I guess the main thing about forums, is that we all wish to communicate something (naturally, within the forum's guidelines). This forum is about philosophy - in short, the study of beliefs and belief systems. It is interesting to see different personalities in such a forum, we are all unique in that regard. Each personality is governed by their collection of beliefs. So, this forum is where, people of philosophical temperament, could study/compare their own, and other members, belief systems. We are all under the microscope so to speak. So it would be prudent to be prudent. However, I have to admit that being honest and truthful can, at times, step on other people's ego-belief systems - from which they retaliate. . . further exposing themselves. I know, I have humiliated myself many times.
I have often been labelled as being weird and quirky. Yet again, I have heard that most people under the philosophical umbrella (philosophers, psychologists, mathematicians, etc.) have been labelled as such. . . especially by 'outsiders'.

The 'freaky' is found in all sorts of places. I have one living next door. To me, the 'freaky' is someone very different to my own belief system. Some are harmless because they stick to themselves. While others are, what I term as - 'evil', because they purposely try to create tension in others so they can feed of the drama. And I would find it most unlikely to be at a community forum without some sort of 'evil' lurking around somewhere.

There, I just exposed a part of my belief system.
Last edited by Being on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Being wrote:Thanks thedoc, and WonderingLands, for the welcome.

I am reasonably new to forums. I have noticed that many threads tend to have branches on them. Some of these have good fruit, while others have already dropped off.

I guess the main thing about forums, is that we all wish to communicate something (naturally, within the forum's guidelines). This forum is about philosophy - in short, the study of beliefs and belief systems. It is interesting to see different personalities in such a forum, we are all unique in that regard. Each personality is governed by their collection of beliefs. So, this forum is where, people of philosophical temperament, could study/compare their own, and other members, belief systems. We are all under the microscope so to speak. So it would be prudent to be prudent. However, I have to admit that being honest and truthful can, at times, step on other people's ego-belief systems - from which they retaliate. . . further exposing themselves. I know, I have humiliated myself many times.
I have often been labelled as being weird and quirky. Yet again, I have heard that most people under the philosophical umbrella (philosophers, psychologists, mathematicians, etc.) have been labelled as such. . . especially by 'outsiders'.

The 'freaky' is found in all sorts of places. I have one living next door. To me, the 'freaky' is someone very different to my own belief system. Some are harmless because they stick to themselves. While others are, what I term as - 'evil', because they purposely try to create tension in others so they can feed of the drama. And I would find it most unlikely to be at a community forum without some sort of 'evil' lurking around somewhere.

There, I just exposed a part of my belief system.
Can't wait to see you in action, fellow being!

Anyways, tell us about your "philosophy", and your learnings (an overview).
Being

Post by Being »

Anyways, tell us about your "philosophy", and your learnings (an overview).
My philosophy and learnings? My personal viewpoint and life lessons are still under construction. My story about the constructed philosophy (beliefs) is long-winded as I am nearly 60 years of age. I will try and condense it into digestible chunks:

Sole offspring; Male parent abuse; Poor school performance; Alcoholism and drug addiction; Military experience; Recovered from A & D (now 26 years); self-studied to gain uni entry; Bachelor of Health Science (rehab counselling) Uni of Sydney; Counselor (now 20 years). Since 'the recovery' I have always been searching for the truth, because it set me free. Truth is the main driving force behind my belief system.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Being wrote:My philosophy and learnings? My personal viewpoint and life lessons are still under construction. My story about the constructed philosophy (beliefs) is long-winded as I am nearly 60 years of age. I will try and condense it into digestible chunks:

Sole offspring; Male parent abuse; Poor school performance; Alcoholism and drug addiction; Military experience; Recovered from A & D (now 26 years); self-studied to gain uni entry; Bachelor of Health Science (rehab counselling) Uni of Sydney; Counselor (now 20 years). Since 'the recovery' I have always been searching for the truth, because it set me free. Truth is the main driving force behind my belief system.
Finding Truth is the same driving force behind my "philosophy", too, man.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Being, if you are searching for the truth, it would be advisable, as a starting point, to actually see what you are looking at. Everyone thinks they are 'Sherlock Holmes' and can see all the important details, but most people don't really see what is in front of them. It is an ability that must be learned, and one good way is to take up painting. When the picture you've painted looks just like the object, you've made a good start. Tell most people to color a tree and they will get the green and brown colors but very few tree trunks are brown, most tree trunks are shades of dark grey, look for yourself. Many people read a post and do not see what is there, if you want to really know what was written, re-write it yourself and compare your copy to the original post, when they match, you will know what was actually written. Many years ago I asked some people "What color is a Yield sign?" and everyone insisted they were yellow and black and laughed when I said they were red and white, even though it had been 15 years since Penn DOT started replacing the old ones with the new design. People just didn't see what was in front of them.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Incidentally there is no way Sherlock Holmes can do a lot of what he does, for example tell if someone is right or left handed from looking at them, tell if someone is lying from their words and manner, that is an art that is not perfect, some people are every good at reading people though.

Just to say, Sherlock Holmes, believe it or not is a fictional character. That said it wasn't the point but I am bored and thought I'd chime in with something. :)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote:Incidentally there is no way Sherlock Holmes can do a lot of what he does, for example tell if someone is right or left handed from looking at them, tell if someone is lying from their words and manner, that is an art that is not perfect, some people are every good at reading people though.

Just to say, Sherlock Holmes, believe it or not is a fictional character. That said it wasn't the point but I am bored and thought I'd chime in with something. :)

I am well aware of that, but did you know that the Holmes character was based on Dr. Joseph Bell, a real person who Conan Doyle had known and worked with. Bell's abilities were similar to Holmes's and he was the pattern for Holmes. This last year I saw a program on PBS about how the Holmes character has influenced modern forensics. Many of the techniques and methods that Doyle wrote about are now in use by the police to investigate crimes. Apparently Bell was very good at doing the things that you say Holmes could not have done.