Retired college teacher says hello!

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Ned

Retired college teacher says hello!

Post by Ned »

Hello All!

I am a retired college teacher (Math, Physics, Computers) and I have been on and off forums for 12 years now, always looking for interesting conversations.

Primarily I am interested in Ethics, social organization, social justice and anything intellectually intriguing.

I also write poetry and hope to find others on this forum who write/like poetry.

I think this is enough to get started and I am looking forward to chatting with you all.

Ned
Immanuel Can

Re: Retired college teacher says hello!

Post by Immanuel Can »

Hi, Ned.

Welcome. Looking forward to it.
MMasz

Post by MMasz »

Welcome! It's always interesting getting the philosophical thoughts of folks who were in the hard sciences.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hello, from a retired Jr. HS teacher. Probably from the other end of the scale but there was a lot of math and physics involved in what I taught, I taught shop, metal and graphic arts.

If you do poetry, please post some here, 2 of my favorites are the 'Rhyme of the ancient Mariner' and the 'Rubaiynt'. I also like Shakespeare, the plays are something like poetry.

I'm not suggesting you should go away, but here's another site you might like to look at,
http://www.thepoetryforum.co.uk/forum.p ... b259e3582b
I think I'm registered there but I haven't participated, I was invited to join from another forum, I used to write a little haiku.

FYI, I retired after only 7 years, I have since decided I wasn't very good at it.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Ned wrote:Hello All!

I am a retired college teacher (Math, Physics, Computers) and I have been on and off forums for 12 years now, always looking for interesting conversations.

Primarily I am interested in Ethics, social organization, social justice and anything intellectually intriguing.

I also write poetry and hope to find others on this forum who write/like poetry.

I think this is enough to get started and I am looking forward to chatting with you all.

Ned
This place is, sadly, a knocking shop for idiots.

May I respectfully recommend a DIFFERENT forum to this one?

http://forum.darwinawards.com

It's moderated with some care, and therefore provides a more balanced and 'safe" place to air your views.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

I really enjoyed this book about Robert Frost.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8588&hilit=robert+frost
aiddon

Post by aiddon »

Welcome Ned. I'm also a maths and physics teacher (though I'm only starting out) who also writes. I've written bad poetry but mainly fiction which I've managed to get published here and there. When I grow up I'd like to write full time.

The poets I like to read are Seamus Heaney, Robert Frost, Walt Whitman and Philip Larkin.

Looking forward to philosophising with you.

Aidan.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Thank you all for the warm welcome -- I already feel at home.

I will now browse the site and see what topic I would like to get involved in.

If I don't find a "Creative Writing" or 'Poetry' thread, I will start one, hoping that enough people would want to participate.

Till then... :)
aiddon

Post by aiddon »

There is much philosophy in literature so a new thread would be a good idea. Perhaps John Steinbeck 's Log from the Sea of Cortez - a favorite of mine?
Tusok

Post by Tusok »

Welcome Ned. Great to have someone with a physics background!

Steve