Hallo, hi, hola!

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

j9t

Hallo, hi, hola!

Post by j9t »

Hi everyone!

I like that this forum works with introductions, so here’s mine: I’m Jens, a self-proclaimed social philosopher who’s just quit his job to travel the world (I’m writing this from Santo Domingo).

I’ve not formally studied philosophy but have instead for years used my infinite free time to find my own approach to it. I’ve read scores of works about philosophy, religion, spirituality, social sciences, psychology, public relations, advertising, marketing, science, self help and improvement, &c.

Why I ventured out that much is probably because I’ve always found something “missing” to come to a solid baseline explanation and framework for us as individuals, groups, and our system of reality. That pretty much the primary focus of my self-driven studies these days.

I’m only about to write more about philosophy and social sciences but you can find information about me and my work on http://meiert.com/en/.

I’m looking forward to following the debates in this forum. A brief note: I can have a very confident and firm communication style. That can sometimes be misunderstood, but my intent is normally a neutral to positive one.

Cheers,
Jens.
Bill Wiltrack

Re: Hallo, hi, hola!

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

You seem to have a very timid and loose communication style. There can be no misunderstanding that, but your intent is a neutral to negative one.

The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Ignore Wiltrack, he's not one for reason. He only joins conversations to show off his images and videos and give blunt emotional show-offs.

Well, Jens, I'm Norwegian, and Jens is by all accounts I know a Norwegian name, so where do you come from?

Firmness is related to stubbornness and dogma, I don't think you'll find it suitable in a philosophy forum, it only weakens the quality of the conversation. Challenge, on the other hand, is welcome in loads, I hope to see you challenge people here, and if you actively take part, you're likely to see me challenge you, and I tend to be quite confident as well.
Brit Dems

Post by Brit Dems »

Hello and Welcome.

You will find what you have been looking for with us.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Just so we're straight...

Firmness is related to stubbornness and dogma, I don't think you'll find it suitable in a philosophy forum, it only weakens the quality of the conversation. Challenge, on the other hand, is welcome in loads, I hope to see you challenge people here, and if you actively take part, you're likely to see me challenge you, and I tend to be quite confident as well.

and:

You seem to have a very timid and loose communication style. There can be no misunderstanding that, but your intent is a neutral to negative one.

...are the same statement.

Philosophically.

So all you have in the above post is a slam of me...which actually expresses your timidness and insecurity.

The Voice of Time

uhm... I'm not sure you know how to read Bill (sufficiently), but no, they are not.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

So...just another barb slung at me. Why?

Before you even appeared upon this board I successfully made the case of the use of images in an individual's philosophical and spiritual path and upon this philosophical forum.

Images and GIFs, if used properly, add an immense amount of information and provide a door to understanding that is impossible to obtain in a strictly literal way.

The Voice of Time

Yes, if your GIFs actually had relevance for the threads you were making, but they don't, they are like the brief picture shown in comedy programs to quickly go from a serious or boring note to mass-laughter (often recorded laughter), the only thing they convey is sarcasm, irony, silliness or extremely vaguely comparable situations, that's emotional trivializing (except the last, which just produces lots of "?????" in my head, and could be said to be the neutral zone of absurdity that just produce unintelligibility, neither producing laughter nor anger) of the situation. Reason I said he should ignore you, is because you yourself was quite unkind and to me it didn't seem you had any reason to:
There can be no misunderstanding that, but your intent is a neutral to negative one.
Does that sound like a nice thing to say to someone who has shown no hostility prior?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Okay...I will give you that. It does not sound like a nice thing to say. But what I was expressing is that any and allintellectualizations have an equal and opposite counterpart. Philosophy often reveals this.

Philosophy...REAL philosophy also requires that we confront ourselves to a degree. Confront or estrange ourselves from ourselves.

Our egos form a protective shell around us. A shell that we must find a way to stand outside of...

...sorry to bring-up a philosophical concept here. You can now continue with the important work of back-biting, name calling, and personal attacks...

duszek

Post by duszek »

Hallo Jens !

Jens is a common name in Germany, too.
Does Jens mean anything specific in Norwegian ?

Does the avatar you use signal some sort of political orientation, Jens ?

Are you a man of independent means ? Or do you earn your living while traveling around the world ?
You do not sound like a pushy person.

I have always thought that wimps like myself should best travel around the world by staying close to a big university library.
Only recently I visited thoroughly a small town in America, full of bullying and worse. It was a fiefdom of the bully number one, John.
("John´s Wife" by R. Coover)
John would be happy to meet Happy Masters ("Happyland" by J. Robert Lennon) who was his female counterpart.

Bullying seems to be a part of the tragic human condition. (la condition humaine)
The Voice of Time

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jens

According to that Jens is of Danish origin (and Low German). Our prime minister is called "Jens", so to a Norwegian it appears very Norwegian ;)

(that said Norway was part of the Denmark-Norway kingdom for a few hundred years, so so many things have turned similar between our kingdoms it's hard to tell when it comes to the written word sometimes)