philosophy of mathematics

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: philosophy of mathematics

Post by Arising_uk »

My apologies, I did mean the above, I should have said "It reminds me of those who can't be bothered to vote, they should at least spoil their ballot paper before they moan about the Govt all the time."
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Thanks that's fine :) .
Arising_uk wrote:My apologies, I did mean the above, I should have said "It reminds me of those who can't be bothered to vote, they should at least spoil their ballot paper before they moan about the Govt all the time."
I really don't like it when people take advantage and especially when they moan. So I subscribed to PN online too and I felt better about it. I'm even reading and starting to respond to PN articles posted on the forum.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Arising_uk wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:Tell that to your Doctor next time you visit him.
Whist you are in the waiting room tell that to the children their that have never paid a penny in tax.
I didn't say not to treat them. I pay taxes for the doctor to treat us all, I also pay prescription fees and I assume or hope these children will be paying theirs in future, .
Not necessarily - there are many who will receive much treatment yet never pay a penny their whole lives - by your judgement all the children that die in Great Ormond St. Hospital are "freeloaders".
Thundril

Post by Thundril »

Richard Baron wrote:
lancek4 wrote:As to a philosophy of math:
Here is a proposal that is philosophical and has to do with math:
The operations of mathematical symbols only reflect a valid operation in their basic relations. Once interpretation takes place, math has been removed from actual presentation (identity) of the phenomenon and thereby reflects re-presentation (equasion).
Equasion is the human interference in identity, such that what may be identical is removed from its basic state of affairs and placed in a subsequent arena of states where the affairs accord with human agenda.

The problem posed is the problem solved for any given awareness of intent. The intent is posed in the form of a question with a 'hanging equals'. The identity is denied in the effect of the human interference and interpreted as cause and effect (human pre-eminance).

How's that for some philosophy of math?
Have you been at the Postmodernism generator, by any chance? http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/
Fabulous link! I'm still chortling!
Does it ever produce statements generally accepted as valid? Or is it only an 'Emperor's New Clothes' generator, impressing no-one but the nervous-defensive?
Reminds me of the guy who (in the early eighties, IIRC) programmed his home computer to churn out haiku poems, picked the best one (in his opinion), sent it off to a Haiku competition, and won. The organisers, judges, and other competitors were outraged.
Or will some spoilsport now come along and tell me that's an urban myth?
When will the infinite-monkey thought experiment be demonstrated? Maybe the next crowd-sourced project?
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Thundril wrote:
Richard Baron wrote:
lancek4 wrote:As to a philosophy of math:
Here is a proposal that is philosophical and has to do with math:
The operations of mathematical symbols only reflect a valid operation in their basic relations. Once interpretation takes place, math has been removed from actual presentation (identity) of the phenomenon and thereby reflects re-presentation (equasion).
Equasion is the human interference in identity, such that what may be identical is removed from its basic state of affairs and placed in a subsequent arena of states where the affairs accord with human agenda.

The problem posed is the problem solved for any given awareness of intent. The intent is posed in the form of a question with a 'hanging equals'. The identity is denied in the effect of the human interference and interpreted as cause and effect (human pre-eminance).

How's that for some philosophy of math?
Have you been at the Postmodernism generator, by any chance? http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/
Fabulous link! I'm still chortling!
Does it ever produce statements generally accepted as valid? Or is it only an 'Emperor's New Clothes' generator, impressing no-one but the nervous-defensive?
Reminds me of the guy who (in the early eighties, IIRC) programmed his home computer to churn out haiku poems, picked the best one (in his opinion), sent it off to a Haiku competition, and won. The organisers, judges, and other competitors were outraged.
Or will some spoilsport now come along and tell me that's an urban myth?
When will the infinite-monkey thought experiment be demonstrated? Maybe the next crowd-sourced project?
The thing about infinite monkeys is that there are never quite enough of them.
The thing about randomly generated Haikus is that you still need a human to decide if they are any good.
http://www.randomhaiku.com/
Mike Strand

Post by Mike Strand »

Chaz, your observation that it still takes a human to decide whether a randomly generated work of art (poem, song, etc) is any good, at least to the human decider, is right on!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Mike Strand wrote:Chaz, your observation that it still takes a human to decide whether a randomly generated work of art (poem, song, etc) is any good, at least to the human decider, is right on!
Thank you.

It is very seldom on this Forum that anyone takes the trouble to say they agree let alone compliment an answer.
Mike Strand

Post by Mike Strand »

You're welcome, chaz. I like clear writing, whether I agree with it or not. In this case, to me your thought was telling and clearly stated.