text suggestions

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

holden

text suggestions

Post by holden »

I'm newly interested in learning about / teaching myself logic (and related disciplines), but I need to begin at the most elementary level. Can someone recommend any texts that are comprehensive, but also manageable for a novice? Any texts I should avoid?
Arising_uk

Re: text suggestions

Post by Arising_uk »

Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 5:52 pm This looks useful -

http://www.kpaprzycka.filozofia.uw.edu. ... aught.html
It looks like Hell on Earth, are you some sort of masochist, Auk?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

See the bit about him wanting to teach himself Logic at an elementary level?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I thought logic was natural to a naturally logical instrument (the brain)
wtf

Post by wtf »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 pm I thought logic was natural to a naturally logical instrument (the brain)
If logic is natural, why did it take till 1879 for Frege to create the predicate logic that is the underlying logic used in modern math? Why didn't Aristotle discover it?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

wtf wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 11:11 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:29 pm I thought logic was natural to a naturally logical instrument (the brain)
If logic is natural, why did it take till 1879 for Frege to create the predicate logic that is the underlying logic used in modern math? Why didn't Aristotle discover it?
You are confusing human understanding of logic for logic.
wtf

Post by wtf »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 11:45 pm
Ah I see. Before there were humans around to have understanding, where was first-order predicate logic as explained for the first time in human history by Gottlob Frege in his Begriffsschrift of 1879?

Where were the universal and existential quantifiers before Frege invented them? If they were "out there" waiting to be discovered ... exactly what else might be out there? For all you know the refutation of Frege's logic is "out there." How would we know till we wait for history to happen? In which case ... aren't you confusing historical contingency with necessary truth?

I would like to understand what you think logic is in the absence of minds capable of inventing or understanding logic.

tl;dr: That's a heavy Platonist ax you're swinging there.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

wtf wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 1:44 am
attofishpi wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 11:45 pm
Ah I see. Before there were humans around to have understanding, where was first-order predicate logic as explained for the first time in human history by Gottlob Frege in his Begriffsschrift of 1879?

Where were the universal and existential quantifiers before Frege invented them? If they were "out there" waiting to be discovered ... exactly what else might be out there? For all you know the refutation of Frege's logic is "out there." How would we know till we wait for history to happen? In which case ... aren't you confusing historical contingency with necessary truth?

I would like to understand what you think logic is in the absence of minds capable of inventing or understanding logic.

tl;dr: That's a heavy Platonist ax you're swinging there.
Logic is natural to a naturally logical instrument (the brain).
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Pattern making is natural to the CNS and obeys the rules of Logic. Reasoning with language can be done logically but not necessarily. Reasoning about Formal Logic is a taught thing and quite difficult to learn and understand, at least that is my experience.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Arising_uk wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 6:27 pm
Pattern making is natural to the CNS and obeys the rules of Logic. Reasoning with language can be done logically but not necessarily. Reasoning about Formal Logic is a taught thing and quite difficult to learn and understand, at least that is my experience.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

p.s.
Just my opinion mind.
osgart

Post by osgart »

so there is a natural logical order apart from man made logic is what the guy is saying.