question

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: question

Post by thedoc »

ForCruxSake wrote: Dream on about my shutting up, because I'm here patting myself on the back for getting you to engage in conversation like a good little boy. Instead of trolling thedoc you actually seem to be engaged in dialogue with him that doesn't seem fatuous. My work here is done. :D
Don't shut up on my account, and don't break your arm.

Getting back to the OP, have you checked out your microwave timer yet?
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Harbal wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: Dream on about my shutting up, because I'm here patting myself on the back for getting you to engage in conversation like a good little boy. Instead of trolling thedoc you actually seem to be engaged in dialogue with him that doesn't seem fatuous. My work here is done. :D
Yes, I've decided to turn my attention towards you instead. :twisted:
What no, mwah ha ha ha ha? I think I've earned at least one evil chortle from you.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote:
And I am thankful for small favors, in this case very small, in fact barely noticeable.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Harbal wrote:
What no, mwah ha ha ha ha? I think I've earned at least one evil chortle from you.
You are asking a great deal more than Harbal is capable of.
Noax

Post by Noax »

thedoc wrote:Getting back to the OP, have you checked out your microwave timer yet?
I did. Can't make your OP work. There is no concept of adding 50+50 on it. Mine can add 30, and some have a way to add 100, but never 50.
On the other hand, it can perform 140-50=50 by the input of 140 and stopping it after it runs 50 seconds, but according to microwave arithmetic, just because 140-50 is 50, it does not follow that 50+50 is 140.
It's like asking what would happen if I go back in time and killed my parents. You can argue about it all you want and give all these different answers, but in the end the question is simply invalid because I cannot in fact go back in time. Similarly, I cannot in fact add 50 seconds to my microwave time, so any answer given is a hypothetical answer anyway.
So the OP should have read something like: "50 + 30 = 120. What am I measuring?" My answer of fruit flies still works, but so does your microwave answer now.

How's that for an over-detailed analysis of something that really didn't require it?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Noax wrote:
thedoc wrote:Getting back to the OP, have you checked out your microwave timer yet?
I did. Can't make your OP work. There is no concept of adding 50+50 on it. Mine can add 30, and some have a way to add 100, but never 50.
On the other hand, it can perform 140-50=50 by the input of 140 and stopping it after it runs 50 seconds, but according to microwave arithmetic, just because 140-50 is 50, it does not follow that 50+50 is 140.
It's like asking what would happen if I go back in time and killed my parents. You can argue about it all you want and give all these different answers, but in the end the question is simply invalid because I cannot in fact go back in time. Similarly, I cannot in fact add 50 seconds to my microwave time, so any answer given is a hypothetical answer anyway.
So the OP should have read something like: "50 + 30 = 120. What am I measuring?" My answer of fruit flies still works, but so does your microwave answer now.

How's that for an over-detailed analysis of something that really didn't require it?
That is a bit of an over-detailed analysis, considering that the question was "What am I measuring?" and the answer is simply "time". The microwave is just an illustration.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

thedoc wrote: the question was "What am I measuring?" and the answer is simply "time". The microwave is just an illustration.
May I suggest you buy yourself a watch, doc? I think you'll find it much more convenient than your microwave as a means of measuring time. Who knows, you may even find one that makes a similar pinging noise when you set the alarm.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Cymraig for oven = popty

Cymraig for microwave over = popty ping

How charming.

How ... ever. Welsh for clock = cloc. Not so charming.

PS Don't let the language fascists tell you microwave = meicrodon. Language is made by how people talk, not a fucking committee.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Cymraig for oven = popty

Cymraig for microwave over = popty ping

How charming.

How ... ever. Welsh for clock = cloc. Not so charming.

PS Don't let the language fascists tell you microwave = meicrodon. Language is made by how people talk, not a fucking committee.
There's a big difference between playful use of language as practiced by those who know it well, and uneducated or deliberate misuse of it.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote: the question was "What am I measuring?" and the answer is simply "time". The microwave is just an illustration.
May I suggest you buy yourself a watch, doc? I think you'll find it much more convenient than your microwave as a means of measuring time. Who knows, you may even find one that makes a similar pinging noise when you set the alarm.
But if I use the microwave, I only have to travel the length of the cord, unless I can reach an extension cord.

BTW, I have a pocket watch, but the damn thing keeps ringing and when I push the correct button I get a phone call.