Is zero the greatest advance in mathematics?

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Is zero the greatest advance in mathematics?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Scott Mayers wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote: Instruction code:
1) Let x = 0
2) If "color"[x] = 0 (or NUL) go to step 6
3) Print x
4) x = x + 1
5) Go to step (2)
6) End program.:

P.S. Why did you presume the program not to work BTW? beginning with x=1 depends on the particular programming language. Maybe you're only used to programming where the first of an array is defaulted to '1' rather than '0'?
Actually Harddrives that comprise the vast majority of computer memory storage require no charge to store data, else they would need continual power, which they do not. 1 and zeros are nominal only and are represented by different steady states, set or not set - this makes the difference between 1 and zero as completely arbitrary.

I'd tell you why the program does not work if you tell me in English what you want it to do, and in what language it is written. Obviously it looks like BASIC but line 2 does not make sense. If you take it that x=0 the program would always end immediately it was run: x being one would return a nul to the "colour(x)" condition and THEN line 6. The rest of the program is redundant.

It's been a whilst since I programmed, but I think I'm right.
I was using pseudocode which just means a rough layout in English to plan a program regardless of any particular language. You're confusing the value of 'x' with the value of color[x]. "color[x]" means the value of the data at the position of 'x' in the order the data is listed. Computers just assign the first value of a list as zero usually, especially in assembly language. In the example above, the first color[0] = 72, not '0'. And the next value of x becomes '1', which is color[1] = 105, and then color[2] = 0 which then tells you to go to step 6 to get out of the loop. So it does work.

EDIT: Line (3), however, should be corrected to Print color[x], not x. So you're still correct that my program code would have been in error without fixing that when transferring it into actual code.
If you can't express it in English, then your program does nothing.
Life is too short. It is enough to say that zero is irrelevant.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Actually Harddrives that comprise the vast majority of computer memory storage require no charge to store data, else they would need continual power, which they do not. 1 and zeros are nominal only and are represented by different steady states, set or not set - this makes the difference between 1 and zero as completely arbitrary.

I'd tell you why the program does not work if you tell me in English what you want it to do, and in what language it is written. Obviously it looks like BASIC but line 2 does not make sense. If you take it that x=0 the program would always end immediately it was run: x being one would return a nul to the "colour(x)" condition and THEN line 6. The rest of the program is redundant.

It's been a whilst since I programmed, but I think I'm right.
I was using pseudocode which just means a rough layout in English to plan a program regardless of any particular language. You're confusing the value of 'x' with the value of color[x]. "color[x]" means the value of the data at the position of 'x' in the order the data is listed. Computers just assign the first value of a list as zero usually, especially in assembly language. In the example above, the first color[0] = 72, not '0'. And the next value of x becomes '1', which is color[1] = 105, and then color[2] = 0 which then tells you to go to step 6 to get out of the loop. So it does work.

EDIT: Line (3), however, should be corrected to Print color[x], not x. So you're still correct that my program code would have been in error without fixing that when transferring it into actual code.
If you can't express it in English, then your program does nothing.
Life is too short. It is enough to say that zero is irrelevant.
10 INPUT Read threads
20 IF thread has bullshit then BS= BS +1
30 IF thread has irrelevance then IR=IR +1
40 IF BS >= 10 OR IR >= 10 then GOSUB 100
50 Output useful comment contributing the the Thread Topic
60 GOTO 10.
100 PRINT a series of insults and abuse from DATA BASE
110 End SUB
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
10 INPUT Read threads
60 GOTO 10.
110 End SUB
Then your posts being a subset of this thread are equal BS and IR!!?? :roll:
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Scott Mayers wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
10 INPUT Read threads
60 GOTO 10.
110 End SUB
Then your posts being a subset of this thread are equal BS and IR!!?? :roll:
As BE and IR end up being 10 each, you are saying that I have made 20 posts.
I think not.
Obviously you didn't read the program.