Is it possible for real things to only exist mathematically?

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Owen

Re: Is it possible for real things to only exist mathematica

Post by Owen »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

You may have to take-up that issue with the original poster...

The original poster created a philosophical concept, someone else created a GIF, I used that GIF as a metaphor in reflection towards - Is it possible for real things to only exist mathematically?

WTF are you doing here???

Is it entertaining for you to see this vulgarity??

You have shown me that you are one crazy person!!

I was going to stay here to see the philosophical input, but
you have made it clear..there is none.

You are an insult to any kind of communication let alone philosophy.

Good riddance to your garbage and shame on 'Philosophy Now' for permitting your offensive nonsense!
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Thank you for keeping an open mind.
That is a mark of a true philosopher.

You came in here with honesty...I can tell by your moniker...and you leave with an intelligent post.

WTF were you doing here???

Is it disturbing for you to see this vulgarity??

You have shown me that you are one crazy person!!

I'm glad you didn't stay here to see the philosophical input, but
you have made it clear..you have none.

You are an insult to any kind of communication let alone philosophy.

Good riddanc
e to your garbage and cheers to 'Philosophy Now' for filtering-out your offensive nonsense!

[Edited:AMod - Post it as a thread elsewhere but its not concerned with this thread]
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Don't start a Wiltrack-fight here now. You can scroll over Wiltrack if his posts annoy you. To say Wiltrack has an open mind is underestimating him. His mind simply has no lock.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

The Voice of Time wrote:
Bernard wrote:I see a basic flaw in the question vot that you may or may not recognize. Your question holds an underlying assumption that reality can be pinned down.
What does pinning down reality mean?
Its what we need to do to stay rational. We need to quantify every quality that presents itself so as to achieve workings categories as units for rational processes - without which the world is mumbo jumbo unless you have another mode of apprehending and processing reality, such as intuitively.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

The Voice of Time wrote:Don't start a Wiltrack-fight here now. You can scroll over Wiltrack if his posts annoy you. To say Wiltrack has an open mind is underestimating him. His mind simply has no lock.
lol

surely he aint that bad.
Seems he is simply simple to moi.
maybe his brain fell out..
using translation engine...
bablefish wont translate 'my sausage dropped off in L.A. English to Deutsch

hehehe
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

The Voice of Time wrote:
Bernard wrote:I see a basic flaw in the question vot that you may or may not recognize. Your question holds an underlying assumption that reality can be pinned down.
What does pinning down reality mean?
That we are stupid?
and assume we know what reality is,
Kuznetzova

Post by Kuznetzova »

It is my sincere belief that the symmetries of geometry are geometrical versions of tautologies.

One example is that if you rotate a square by 90 degrees, you obtain the same square again. A person need not come along and force this to be true by finagling or fiat. (nor need a "God" come by and design this). This is simply true because it has to be true, because of the rectangle itself.

A tautology has to be true because of the tautology itself.

Modern physics is saturated with symmetries -- from gauge theory, to Legrangians, to Hamiltonians, electromagnetism, and conservation laws. The Conservation of Energy is a cornerstone of our universe, and yes, it is the result of a symmetry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether%27s_theorem

At this point one might be prone to say something like "The real physical world out there OBEYS symmetries". Except you cannot "obey" a symmetry, because it does not make sense to disobey a symmetry. There is no middle ground here because there are no opposing sides. A tautology isn't really true because it can't really be false either.

In the words of Alan Watts,
A dog cannot tell a lie.
...because he can't tell the truth either.
There is something fundamentally different when it comes to reasoning about the world geometrically. If something is true of geometry on the chalkboard due to a symmetry, you don't have to worry about the real outside world "obeying" this symmetry. Symmetries cannot be disobeyed.
jackles

Post by jackles »

One brain can only experience or be consciouse of a very small part of the overall event.the brain is a bridge between a happening and therefor moving sizelike event.and the unmoving sizeless cause of that event which is consiousness.so the box is real this side of the bridge and so are all the numbers.only love is real though brov both sides of the bridge.