Zizek!

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Zizek!

Post by Philosophy Now »

Grant Bartley! investigates the film as a distillation of the man.

http://philosophynow.org/issues/64/Zizek
lancek4

Re: Zizek!

Post by lancek4 »

I havnt watched this particular film or clip or Zizek, because he just says the same thing over and over in idfferent ways (which is what is cool about him) but I read some of your commentary/review.

I think it is interesting how philosophy gets washed into desiphering representations of the philosopher himself, as if we can assemble a "whole meaning" of something more significant than what he is saying; it really screams of either "I dont really understand what he is saying but I kinda do" or "I know what he is saying so let me tell you what he is actually saying".
It is my firm contension that if a person said something so well, why would I need to translate it for someone else?

So perfect with Zizek. I have to say, skimming in with the death of post modernism topic that is floating around, that the brilliance of Zizek is that he is a true existentialist but uses the (neo-) modernist rehash we have going on now a days in discourse to emphasize the inescapable reality of the ironic self reflecting individual-as-universe. And this is why people are so infatuated with him, because they really dont understand him, and we are always most interested in what we dont understand. We might take a cue from Kierkegarrd in this respect.

Zizek is using the enemy's weapons against them, perfectly justified in that he is really (ironically) saying nothing. Which is to say that the enemy is that greater humanity that sees him as a social commentator, as if he is saying something significant, while he is actually reflecting what is being said about reality. Take another cue from Sartre here. We cannot escape the irony because the thing people most probably will not realize of Zizek is his middle line, his existing just as he does, speaking as he should, and in no other way, but in such a way that emphasizes the discrepancy of reality and discourse, dazzling those who do not understand the discrepancy in experience, while speaking to those who already know what he should be saying.
And this is what is really interesting; the name dropping is just playing the game he cannot avoid.
tbieter

Re: Zizek!

Post by tbieter »

I happened upon this apparent dimension of the man. I wonder if he attended his parents' funerals. http://fuckyeahsociology.tumblr.com/pos ... avoj-zizek