Sapere Aude!

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Sapere Aude!

Post by Philosophy Now »

Anja Steinbauer introduces the life and ideas of Immanuel Kant, the merry sage of Königsberg, who died 200 years ago.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/49/Sapere_Aude
Belinda

Re: Sapere Aude!

Post by Belinda »

Thank you Philosophy Now.

I quote from the essay about Kant:
No matter how hard we try, we are therefore never going to know what the world is like per se but only how it presents itself from a human perspective. The idea that our minds shape our world rather than vice versa was a significant reversal of what had previously been assumed – a ‘Copernican revolution’.
I claim that there is no world "per se" and that there be nothing besides appearances. Men, like other animals who can learn, act according to how the world has been appearing . If any conscious being absolutely knew the world of appearances there would be no need for him to posit "per se".

The Copernican analogy has the Sun in it. But there is nothing in existence itself that corresponds to the Sun.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

blooming flowers correspond to the sun...

just not in writing...

-Imp
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm blooming flowers correspond to the sun...

just not in writing...

-Imp
I guess you meant that flowers respond to sunlight. Correspond doesn't mean the same as respond.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Belinda wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm
Impenitent wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm blooming flowers correspond to the sun...

just not in writing...

-Imp
I guess you meant that flowers respond to sunlight. Correspond doesn't mean the same as respond.
I never said that it did

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/correspond

the direct relationship is there

semantics is fun

-Imp