Slavoj Žižek

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Slavoj Žižek

Post by Philosophy Now »

In a London café, Anja Steinbauer chats with the philosopher who invented the word ‘idiosyncratic’.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/122/Slavoj_Zizek
-1-

Re: Slavoj Žižek

Post by -1- »

Žižek -- is this another word Anja's interview subject invented? How do you pronounce it?
-1-

Post by -1- »

I shan't ask what it means. It is really obvious.
Seleucus

Post by Seleucus »

This guy's hilarious. If nothing else, watch his Guide to cinema and Guide to ideology movies. Once you get his doubling-back argumentative style it's a lot of fun.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

He is most amusing with his "s"-es, his "so on"'s, with pulling his nose and shirt all the time. But he is also one of the great, what I would call, Metaphysicians of this time. He dare to give a scolared(is that the english word?) man's view on things that happens in the world. He's a philosopher of Russel's kind, a guy that dares to speak about what happens. About globalization, refugees, Trump and scho on...

He might not be right about everything, but he's a guy I listen to.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Here is the raw material. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/JArpTRox5VI
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Within the first five minutes of the interview PROFESSOR :twisted: Zizek states that he declines to write on Donald Trump because "he is not interesting at all as a person." I understand that Zizek is a communist and an atheist. A collectivist.

In contrast, consider and compare these words from Simone Weil in her essay "What is Sacred in Every Human Being" She starts her essay with this paragraph:

"You do not interest me". These are words that one human being cannot address to another without cruelty or offending against justice."

Later in the essay she writes:
"There is in each human being something sacred. But it is not his person which is not anything more than his personality. It is him, this man, wholly and simply."

I submit that Zizek's rejection of Trump as a human being illustrates the collectivist's mentality.
I doubt that Zizel even possesses the concept of the sacred.

Am I accurate in my criticism of Zizek?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16171&p=211997&hilit=zizek#p211997