A Feminist Interview with Friedrich Nietzsche

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent

Re: A Feminist Interview with Friedrich Nietzsche

Post by Impenitent »

strangely humorous piece...

was it Shirley's characterization of FN as "philosopher and fruitcake"?

(pot, kettle)

and how would FN know people who existed after he had died? He'd know his contemporaries, and know his contemporaries, and know his contemporaries...

-Imp
Jai

Post by Jai »

The writer seems to think that to say '...and suppose truth is a woman.' has no positive connotation. Any word, or expression taken in isolation is subject to negative and positive meanings. I understand this as a poetic expression, and F. Nietzsche was a poet also, to mean that truth has a beauty to it that defies rational explanation. So the author thinks that such thought implies woman are one sided, and non-substantial in the way, sadly, that men seem to be the important actual reality of this sexist world. Perhaps F. Nietzsche did have a problem with seeing women as equally real as men; I do not believe he was ever in a long term relationship, though he is known to be friends with the famous feminist of his time, I am sorry I cannot remember her name right now. There is some rumor he picked up an incurable venereal disease from a prostitute which led to the dementia of his later life, which is sad, but does not take away from the genius in his writings. If for F. Nietzsche '..truth is a woman.', he did not find her in his lifespan, and I trust his sincere moral integrity for seeking truth has led him to higher worlds of understanding.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Do you mean Lou Salomé? Sounds like a fascinating woman, who had friendships with everyone who was anyone in intellectual circles at the time, including Freud and Rilke as well as Nietzsche. I think she was a psychoanalyst - maybe she was collecting material? :D I don't know if she was a feminist - that's an interesting question.
Jai

Post by Jai »

Yes, Lou Salome was whom I was thinking. Actually I do not know if she advocated a specific feminist philosopher; but just being a woman who achieved prominence among the high and revolutionary intellectuals of her time made her a feminist in her courage and equal status with these men whom she friended.