Black Mirror Reflections

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Black Mirror Reflections

Post by Philosophy Now »

Terri Murray illustrates Marcuse’s critique of technologised society using an episode of the British TV series Black Mirror.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/97/Black_Mirror_Reflections
Eodnhoj7

Re: Black Mirror Reflections

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

If I understood correctly his emphasis was that technology created "bars through dependency" than in some respects I agree with him and extend his point further. I would argue that technology is striclty a "physicalization" of desire and in these respects creates an environment in which man is unable to maintain any stability within himself, nature, and his neighbor.

Technology's emphasis on efficiency and convenience is based upon subjective axioms of "leisure" and in many respects is a physicalization of what appetites we choose. In this respect, with the propagation of technology steming from a democratic notion of the people ruling through their appetites, it forces a society of intolerance against those who do not want to live hedonistic lifestyles.

Modern technology reflects and maintains a society and moral system based upon the acquisition of material pleasure outside of any medial norms that maintain a symmetry with the environment or with eachother. Considering the nature of communication originated with relations towards nature and one's neighbor, these relations have been reduce to metal and silicon. We become what we relate to and in these respects the nature of modern technology creates a prison in which noone is ever really able to get outside of himself/herself and becomes of prisoner of themselves and their base appetites.

No choice is really involved as the ability to self-reflect on these problems will be taken away as technology will replace man's ability to think seperate of the technology. It is strictly a physicalization of the human mind, body, and soul and in these respects is prone to a constant flux never really allowing man to maintain stability as a rational reflective being.