Is Science Going To End?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Is Science Going To End?

Post by Philosophy Now »

Our philosophical science correspondent Massimo Pigliucci asks.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/68/Is_Science_Going_To_End
Eodnhoj7

Re: Is Science Going To End?

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Brilliant question, one I have never even thought of to be frank.

I am of the opinion that the science will not disappear, however the nature of what constitutes it will shift from a strict emphasis on finite materialism to a mixture of empiricism and metaphysics. Science is strictly "observation", and the current model of observation we employ offers no self-reflective capability through metaphysics to give it any form of stability.

Previous forms of metaphysics were strict "self-reflection" with little to no reflection on the environment itself.

Modern science fundamentally has to change eventually due to its inability to self-reflect and gain any form of stability from itself. The strict linear mentality "of shooting off into the darkness and see what we can find approach" will eventually be met with another form of linearism as "the wall".

Let's take it from an historical perspective: all explorers eventually reached their limits in exploring an area and eventually had to return home before they could go elsewhere and find someplace "new" to explore. How is this, metaphorically speaking, any different than the nature of science today?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

The faster science advances the sooner it will merge back into philosophy. Science will retreat before the sanctum sanctorum of any final mystery while philosophy will keep asking "what does it all mean?" Understanding the WHY of something at that level remains separate from its WHEREFORE allowing philosophy to continue beyond science but only if we ourselves last long enough to have accomplished that penultimate act of knowing. If science ever concludes as theorized, philosophy may create its own now unimagined versions of a cosmic Glass Bead Game.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dubious wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 pm The faster science advances the sooner it will merge back into philosophy. Science will retreat before the sanctum sanctorum of any final mystery while philosophy will keep asking "what does it all mean?" Understanding the WHY of something at that level remains separate from its WHEREFORE allowing philosophy to continue beyond science but only if we ourselves last long enough to have accomplished that penultimate act of knowing. If science ever concludes as theorized, philosophy may create its own now unimagined versions of a cosmic Glass Bead Game.

"What does it all mean" is not a science question.

Like many you completely misunderstand what the purpose of science is and how it departed from philosophy in the first place.
Science is bound by HOW and not WHY. That is its strength.
If you have any science question that cannot be asked with the use of the word "How" then it is not necessarily a science question at all.
Give it a try!
I'll take the Pepsi challenge on that one.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:43 pm
Dubious wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 pm The faster science advances the sooner it will merge back into philosophy. Science will retreat before the sanctum sanctorum of any final mystery while philosophy will keep asking "what does it all mean?" Understanding the WHY of something at that level remains separate from its WHEREFORE allowing philosophy to continue beyond science but only if we ourselves last long enough to have accomplished that penultimate act of knowing. If science ever concludes as theorized, philosophy may create its own now unimagined versions of a cosmic Glass Bead Game.

Like many you completely misunderstand what the purpose of science is and how it departed from philosophy in the first place.
If you have any science question that cannot be asked with the use of the word "How" then it is not necessarily a science question at all.
Give it a try!
Thank you for the lecture!

Please note, I said, > philosophy will keep asking "what does it all mean" <
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Science won't end. Actually it is at the beginning of a quality of understanding that will verify the necessity of that dreaded G word God and serve as the foundation for the complimentary relationship between science and religion. Simone Weil explains"
I believe that one identical thought is to be found—expressed very precisely and with only slight differences of modality—in. . .Pythagoras, Plato, and the Greek Stoics. . .in the Upanishads, and the Bhagavad Gita; in the Chinese Taoist writings and. . .Buddhism. . .in the dogmas of the Christian faith and in the writings of the greatest Christian mystics. . .I believe that this thought is the truth, and that it today requires a modern and Western form of expression. That is to say, it should be expressed through the only approximately good thing we can call our own, namely science. This is all the less difficult because it is itself the origin of science. Simone Weil….Simone Pétrement, Simone Weil: A Life, Random House, 1976, p. 488
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dubious wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 am

Give it a try!

BUT.
You said;"The faster science advances the sooner it will merge back into philosophy."
If you mean that, then you are suggesting the they (science and philosophy) will be one and the same. Thats why you need a lecture.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:31 pm
Dubious wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 am

Give it a try!

BUT.
You said;"The faster science advances the sooner it will merge back into philosophy."
If you mean that, then you are suggesting the they (science and philosophy) will be one and the same. Thats why you need a lecture.
Have you even read the article in question? The point was IF science ever gets to the point - unlikely in my view - where everything is known as far "as we can know it", science having created its virtual ending will again merge with philosophy. Why? Because the information we can extract is finite while the interpretations of philosophy are nearly infinite.

...AND if I do need a lecture, it wouldn't be from you!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

If science and philosophy merge it will be because science has become philosophy, not the other way around.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Each monumental discovery leaves less discoveries left to be discovered. Yet applications will continue to need improving. The focus of scientists may change but the need for scientific knowledge will remain if only to keep things running.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

jayjacobus wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:04 pm Each monumental discovery leaves less discoveries left to be discovered.
Not quite right, Usually when something new is discovered there are more things that we realize that we don't know, we didn't know that we didn't know those things.
seeds

Post by seeds »

_______

Humans, through the tools of science,...

(and assuming we will not destroy ourselves in the interim)

...will simply keep trudging along until we have figured out how to “indirectly” manipulate the fabric of matter in the same way that we can “directly” manipulate the fabric of our own minds.

“Tea, Earl Grey, hot”...

Oh dang, a malfunction. :D

As I stated in an alternate thread:
seeds wrote: I believe that as we continue to advance our understanding of the quantum realm, we will eventually be able to control electrons in three-dimensions as easily as the wizards at Pixar or DreamWorks control them now in two-dimensions.
And that will no doubt be an endless endeavor for science (not to mention the questions that arise as to why reality lends itself to such control).
_______
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

seeds wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 pm
“Tea, Earl Grey, hot”...

_______
Was that a "happy accident"?
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

seeds wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 pm _______

Humans, through the tools of science,...

(and assuming we will not destroy ourselves in the interim)

...will simply keep trudging along until we have figured out how to “indirectly” manipulate the fabric of matter in the same way that we can “directly” manipulate the fabric of our own minds.

“Tea, Earl Grey, hot”...

As I stated in an alternate thread:
seeds wrote: I believe that as we continue to advance our understanding of the quantum realm, we will eventually be able to control electrons in three-dimensions as easily as the wizards at Pixar or DreamWorks control them now in two-dimensions.
And that will no doubt be an endless endeavor for science (not to mention the questions that arise as to why reality lends itself to such control).
_______
Okay Captain Picard.

PhilX 🇺🇸
seeds

Post by seeds »

thedoc wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:42 pm
seeds wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 pm
“Tea, Earl Grey, hot”...

_______
Was that a "happy accident"?