Gay Rights: A Question of Fairness

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Gay Rights: A Question of Fairness

Post by Philosophy Now »

John Draeger considers pairing and parenting; discomfort and discrimination.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/87/Gay_Rights_A_Question_of_Fairness
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Gay Rights: A Question of Fairness

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I love this article. It's about equal rights for all human beings. No nauseating PC drivel. No mention of especially sensitive 'group' feelings, or on-behalf-of offence-taking. Just basic human rights for everyone.
tbieter

Re: Gay Rights: A Question of Fairness

Post by tbieter »

"Lurking in the background are assumptions about the ability to parent. Women are thought to be more nurturing than men, and heterosexuals are assumed to be natural parental material. Notice that if gender is the prime criterion, and women are to be preferred to men in matters of childrearing, then a single gay woman may be better than a single straight man. On the other hand, if the heterosexual orientation of a parent is more important than gender, then the conclusion is reversed."
When I read Darwinian Natural Right I was indifferent on the issues of same sex marriage and parenting of children. Gradually, as I read, I began to think about the questions of gay marriage and parenting of children. In the book, the author presented evidence supporting the conclusions that, generally, ALL normal human beings are inclined to want to (1) be in an indefinite relationship with another person, and (2) to parent young children.

Upon completing the book, I wrote to the author. I said that based on the evidence marshaled, I had concluded that it was reasonable to believe that gay marriage and parenting was legally justified as a human right. The professor replied, agreeing with the conclusions I had reached.

My conclusion is that the rights to gay marriage and parenting children (gay adoption) are justified because they are grounded in human nature.

https://www.amazon.com/Darwinian-Natura ... ural+right