Acceptable In Amsterdam

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Acceptable In Amsterdam

Post by Philosophy Now »

Seán Moran tiptoes tolerantly through the tulips.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/120/Acceptable_In_Amsterdam
Ansiktsburk

Re: Acceptable In Amsterdam

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Quite interesting article. We up here are supposed to be tolerant and yes, broadly we are. But:

In the article there is a ctitation from Goethe that suggests that tolerance should only be a temporary attiitude. And that you through discussions should after a while kind of "like" the thing that you object towards something that you tolerate.

But well, to paraphraze the nazis, "many of my best friends are gay". If my son or daughter got a partner of the same sex, I would accept it, and do whatever a father-in-law would do to an opposite sex partner But no way am I going to like it. No one has ever really said anything bad about being gay to me, but i'm solemny and boringly hetero. I like women. And i like to see couples of the same sex kissing or whatever in a park or such. And I do detest the view of guys kissing each other. Don't know why, I have not spent thousand of SEK to find it out, but I will not like it. I will tolerate Homosexuality but not more, and that has to be fine with people. If Homo guys detest the view of me and my wife kissing in a park, fine with me as log as they accept it.

Anyone feel the same or have a problem with that?