A Philosophy of Freedom by Lars Svendsen

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

A Philosophy of Freedom by Lars Svendsen

Post by Philosophy Now »

Alan Brody thinks about freedom and responsibility with Lars Svendsen.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/118/A_ ... s_Svendsen
Dalek Prime

Re: A Philosophy of Freedom by Lars Svendsen

Post by Dalek Prime »

Not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, I experienced a fugue state lasting at least 36 hours, where supposedly I cut the lawn, wandered the neighbourhood looking for my dead brother-in-law, and I'm not sure what else (I didn't ask, and didn't want to know, quite frankly). I woke in hospital with no memory. Of that time period. Now, if something unlawful was committed (thankfully there wasn't), I would not personally hold myself accountable, mainly because I did not knowingly cause this state by my own actions (eg. I didn't blank because of an alcoholic stupor, which would have been irresponsible, knowing drink or drugs can cause such).

Similarly, in Camus' 'The Stranger'', the protagonist found himself outside the law on a murder charge, all due to heat prostration and hypoglycemia.

There are malfunctions of consciousness that we cannot control with our best efforts. Some things just happen. Should man go to jail for driving and crashing into someone, because he has a coronary?
Jeina Johnson

Re: A Philosophy of Freedom by Lars Svendsen

Post by Jeina Johnson »

Dalek Prime wrote:Not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, I experienced a fugue state lasting at least 36 hours, where supposedly I cut the lawn, wandered the neighbourhood looking for my dead brother-in-law, and I'm not sure what else (I didn't ask, and didn't want to know, quite frankly). I woke in hospital with no memory. Of that time period. Now, if something unlawful was committed (thankfully there wasn't), I would not personally hold myself accountable, mainly because I did not knowingly cause this state by my own actions (eg. I didn't blank because of an alcoholic stupor, which would have been irresponsible, knowing drink or drugs can cause such).

Similarly, in Camus' 'The Stranger'', the protagonist found himself outside the law on a murder charge, all due to heat prostration and hypoglycemia.

There are malfunctions of consciousness that we cannot control with our best efforts. Some things just happen. Should man go to jail for driving and crashing into someone, because he has a coronary?
Very,very interesting i must say!