The History of the World, Part 2

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: The History of the World, Part 2

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

I really, really wish that whoever clicks on 'Discuss' an article would at least give a pointer as to the interest level.

( admit I've been guilty of non follow-up before but sometimes it was to 'save' an article after a search. Trouble is the mods delete them )
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

If you did not know anything about Confucianism or Hinduism then this article -- written in 2004 apparently -- is a good start.

These days you can also google either topic and get a richer more detailed description of each, particularly from the various wiki's.

While all religions contain their own version of philosophy, I would not call Asian religions philosophies. I would call them religions with philosophy mixed in with them.

In the classic Western sense, philosophy is pure human thought unadulterated by either religion or science. The ancient Greeks like Thales were trying to escape from the Olympian Pantheon.

The Asians have somehow managed to mix them up however.

Unfortunately the P/N article does not point this out.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

marjoram_blues wrote:
I really, really wish that whoever clicks on 'Discuss' an article would at least give a pointer as to the interest level.

( admit I've been guilty of non follow-up before but sometimes it was to 'save' an article after a search. Trouble is the mods delete them )
PhilX has a proven track record of never having the wit to follow through.